1911 Kimber Mods: TLR-6, Tru-Glo Sights, CWA slide w/comp

A lot of holster manufacturers (particularly those who produce leather holsters) won't touch pistol with a light for that reason. Using a thumb break is a reasonable way around the issue. As blasphemous as it sounds kydex generally is easier to get a retention point on with a light.

I'm a big fan of JM Custom Kydex but I don't see a 1911 + light combo on his site. Maybe @policemedic can share some wisdom.

This is kinda/sorta necroposting (though nowhere near as bad as a case study), but for whatever reason I just saw this.

I'm a big user of kydex holsters. In fact, the only leather ones I have are my Crossbreed (which is only the backer) and my ankle holster for my BUG.

Wilson Combat markets a kydex holster specifically for 1911s with the TLR6. In fact, I'd wager most good kydex makers could hook @Marauder06 up.

@Marauder06 , be patient. Very often, drop-in parts really aren't, and sometimes the gun will have to go to a smith. New barrels sometimes need fitting. Barsto and Kart are usually pretty good. Better than a new barrel with a comp, why not a conversion kit for a different caliber?
I'm not familiar with that in the 1911 frame, other than the .22 conversion.

I used to own a lot of guns in a lot of different calibers. I've been trying to work down to .45, 12 gauge, and .22. And assuming I ever live in a place where ARs are legal again, 5.56.

My daughter shoots left handed, and since this gun will probably be hers one day, I'm modding it for an ambidextrous safety. It's on the way and I'll post pics after I get it installed... assuming I don't lose a bunch of pieces when I disassemble the gun. :)

I'm also considering a new barrel with an installed compensator. My understanding is that comps work better with higher-velocity calibers, but even marginal improvement in recoil and flip would, I think, be worth it. Looking for opinions before I decide whether or not to drop the coin for that.
The bit about comps is sort of true. A compensator works most effectively when there's enough gas generated by the cartridge to run through the comp chambers. Usually this is associated with higher velocities because, typically, more powder means more velocity. Competitive shooters will look for "slow" powders (i.e. formulations that require a higher volume of powder to achieve similar velocities) because of the tradeoff between increased velocity and more gas.

However, competitive shooters also have to contend with maximum magazine sizes, and having smaller calibers (like 9mm) mean that you can fit more bullets into a single magazine than you can with, say, 45ACP, but you also have less internal case volume. 45ACP doesn't really have that issue. It's a big case with a ton of room for powder, pushing a big slow bullet. The more powder in the cartridge, the more gas you put through the barrel, and the better the comp works. Even better if you can shoot light bullets.

I hope this makes sense.

The bit about comps is sort of true. A compensator works most effectively when there's enough gas generated by the cartridge to run through the comp chambers. Usually this is associated with higher velocities because, typically, more powder means more velocity. Competitive shooters will look for "slow" powders (i.e. formulations that require a higher volume of powder to achieve similar velocities) because of the tradeoff between increased velocity and more gas.

However, competitive shooters also have to contend with maximum magazine sizes, and having smaller calibers (like 9mm) mean that you can fit more bullets into a single magazine than you can with, say, 45ACP, but you also have less internal case volume. 45ACP doesn't really have that issue. It's a big case with a ton of room for powder, pushing a big slow bullet. The more powder in the cartridge, the more gas you put through the barrel, and the better the comp works. Even better if you can shoot light bullets.

I hope this makes sense.

Very helpful, thank you.

I'm going to hold off on a comp for now, but I got the ambi safety installed. I did have to watch a video to get all of the internals put back in the right way, though. :rolleyes: :-o8-)

1581754086210.png

This is kinda/sorta necroposting (though nowhere near as bad as a case study), but for whatever reason I just saw this.

I'm a big user of kydex holsters. In fact, the only leather ones I have are my Crossbreed (which is only the backer) and my ankle holster for my BUG.

Wilson Combat markets a kydex holster specifically for 1911s with the TLR6. In fact, I'd wager most good kydex makers could hook @Marauder06 up.

Coyote holsters, best custom kydex holsters I have ever used. I have an OWB and the drop leg for my Sig. Just my .02

Did a few more minor things: switched out the grip screws, added a flared mag well (hard to see in this photo) and ordered a .22 upper with a barrel-mounted comp. Range was closed when I tried to take it out for a test fire (stupid COVID) but at least it looks cool...

I also ordered a Leupold optic, but have to wait for the mount to arrive.

I Kimber with .22 no serial number.png

Back