1911 Kimber Mods: TLR-6, Tru-Glo Sights, CWA slide w/comp

After.

It was easier than I thought it was going to be. In addition to the pusher, I needed a socket set, my Allen wrenches, and my bench clamp.

All told it took about 30 minutes once I had all of the tools. The pusher cranked both of the old sights right off, and the new ones right on.

Because I watched a video beforehand. I knew to prevent the spring under the rear sight from popping loose and getting lost for ever in my living room.

B3C8D57E-38AD-473D-86E8-B9F1EBEFDC08.jpeg

Finally getting around to replacing the garbage factory sights that came with my Kimber. Replacing with TruGlo high contrast tritium.

I've watched the videos and read the blog posts. I have the sights and a pusher. Any words of advice before I dive in?
Having been the armorer for most of my church. I have found painter's tape to be my best friend. When working on a steel weapon.

Patience and, a distraction free environment help a lot!

That’s one of many reasons I don’t really care for the 1911 frame. I like the Para Ordnance better.

Most Paras are double stack so harder for smaller hands to manipulate. Which Para model do you like?

I love me some 1911s, but have smallish hands, too. I make it work, and Larry Vickers really worked with me on technique.

Good looking set of aiming stakes. That is a nice looking gun - I'm glad to hear it went smooth.

Reading your thread actually got me looking at those TLR-6 light/laser gadgets as well - do you have a good holster that fits well with the TLR-6 mounted?

WHERE’S THE AFTER????? F’ing suspense is killing me!!!!!!

Also think it’s funny your hand is too small to grip the entire weapon.

Sorry, I completely misread your post. The picture looks that way because of the way I was holding the gun for the picture, I have long fingers and a big hand, and holding a 1911 feels like I've got the end of a 1x4 in my grip. That's why I prefer a double-stack .45, fills my hand better and feels more comfortable.

Most Paras are double stack so harder for smaller hands to manipulate. Which Para model do you like?

I love me some 1911s, but have smallish hands, too. I make it work, and Larry Vickers really worked with me on technique.

I misunderstood Lindy's post. I have big hands and the 1911 frame feels too small. I like Para because it fills my hand better. I don't remember which model it was that I fired, it looked something like this:

1564687521518.png

I misunderstood Lindy's post. I have big hands and the 1911 frame feels too small. I like Para because it fills my hand better. I don't remember which model it was that I fired, it looked something like this:

View attachment 28725

Yes, that makes sense. The wider grip because of the double-stacked magazines makes it a comfortable pistol for guys with larger hands.

Good looking set of aiming stakes. That is a nice looking gun - I'm glad to hear it went smooth.

Reading your thread actually got me looking at those TLR-6 light/laser gadgets as well - do you have a good holster that fits well with the TLR-6 mounted?

I haven't found one yet but I'm sure they are out there. I had a nice leather holster that of course won't work anymore with the TLR on it. For now I've been using an old Uncle Mike holster I've had for prob 15-20 years, that wasn't designed for this sight but still works. For now this gun is just my home defense weapon, I don't carry in this state.

Long time ago I had a Detonics in .451 Detonics. Shooting it was like try trying to hold an o'possum while poking a finger up it's ass!
Then last year I shot a Para Warthog .45 Acp. That was a sweet shooter! Have a buddy that swears by Para Ordinance.
I am waiting on that special Springfield Armory 1911 to find me :-)

Ah Ha...

I am pretty sure I have exact same holster in a footlocker somewhere in my gargae - I just dont have an accessory light.
I always thought the thumbreak over the grip safety sucked when trying to draw quickly and since it takes more patience than I posses to get the thumbreak to "fit" snugly across the back of the slide with the hammer back/safety engaged, I pulled the thumbreak off of mine. I used a couple of popsicle sticks to separate the velcro and it pulled right out. I eventually replaced it with a Galco Combat Master - but again - no light: there's no way that a light would shoehorn into the shape molded leather. If I get one of those lights, I may have to dig out that old Uncle Mikes to check out the fit.

A 'sidekick' is a lot better holster than people would give it credit for. It isn't fool proof but it holds a 1911 pretty secure without the thumb break - the problem would be retention if I added a light - I can see that the light elevates the gun enough that NOT having a thumbreak might be a little risky.

@Box this is the holster I mentioned. Not made for this, just kind of fits.

View attachment 28825

I have an old $12 Uncle Mikes pancake belt holster that seems to fit ALL my handguns, from the little Ruger LCR to the full size 1911. Great thing, sir, when cheap works well.

pnut2_zpsa4ebebe4.JPGIMG_1341.JPG

Last edited:
Ah Ha...

I am pretty sure I have exact same holster in a footlocker somewhere in my gargae - I just dont have an accessory light.
I always thought the thumbreak over the grip safety sucked when trying to draw quickly and since it takes more patience than I posses to get the thumbreak to "fit" snugly across the back of the slide with the hammer back/safety engaged, I pulled the thumbreak off of mine. I used a couple of popsicle sticks to separate the velcro and it pulled right out. I eventually replaced it with a Galco Combat Master - but again - no light: there's no way that a light would shoehorn into the shape molded leather. If I get one of those lights, I may have to dig out that old Uncle Mikes to check out the fit.

A 'sidekick' is a lot better holster than people would give it credit for. It isn't fool proof but it holds a 1911 pretty secure without the thumb break - the problem would be retention if I added a light - I can see that the light elevates the gun enough that NOT having a thumbreak might be a little risky.

A lot of holster manufacturers (particularly those who produce leather holsters) won't touch pistol with a light for that reason. Using a thumb break is a reasonable way around the issue. As blasphemous as it sounds kydex generally is easier to get a retention point on with a light.

I'm a big fan of JM Custom Kydex but I don't see a 1911 + light combo on his site. Maybe @policemedic can share some wisdom.

Nice pistol @Marauder06 . Huge 1911 fan, I have worked on many in my lifetime. Nice work. Para's are nice as well, I built one years using a p14 frame. My guess is you fired a p12 based on that pic. Again, nice work. I'd consider kydex for carry for the tlr6 equipped 1911. I was always a leather guy until I willing swapped out want for need. There are tons of them out there for your platform.

My daughter shoots left handed, and since this gun will probably be hers one day, I'm modding it for an ambidextrous safety. It's on the way and I'll post pics after I get it installed... assuming I don't lose a bunch of pieces when I disassemble the gun. :)

I'm also considering a new barrel with an installed compensator. My understanding is that comps work better with higher-velocity calibers, but even marginal improvement in recoil and flip would, I think, be worth it. Looking for opinions before I decide whether or not to drop the coin for that.

@Marauder06 , be patient. Very often, drop-in parts really aren't, and sometimes the gun will have to go to a smith. New barrels sometimes need fitting. Barsto and Kart are usually pretty good. Better than a new barrel with a comp, why not a conversion kit for a different caliber?

Back