2012 SOF, Military, and Zombie Movie Thread

Saw the avengers trailer during the superbowl yesterday, and the extended version on their FB page.....words could not even describe how excited I am to watch that movie. It is going to be bad ass.

Same here. Although, I felt like they rushed Captain America and Thor to bring everyone up to speed on the casts background stories. Both of their movies could have been 200x better.

So I watched Forces Especiales last night. Here is my AAR:

The movie started off pretty good with a HVT C/K raid into Kosovo. Much of the feel and cinematography was straight out of BHD. That whole BHD feel continued until the team touched down in Kabul. From there on - it was a mixture of silly Tears of the Sun action with incredibly cheesy 9th Company (Ruski film) drama.

The military/technical aspect of the film was absolutely great. They MUST have used real C-Jaubert shooters in some of the scenes as well as in advising roles. The weapons and kit was top notch and realistic. One scene in particular, the team hid their rucks and M4s and grabbed their suppressed pistols and mp5s for a low vis raid in a village. The moving and shooting was good aside from some Tears of the Sun type ridiculous combat scenes. There was lots of single shot firing going on which I liked as well. In the same raid scene, the sniper providing support and over watch was using a bolt action rifle over semi-automatic which didn't make too much sense to me considering the enemy contact they expected.

Now some bad and annoying stuff - the film jumped all over the place, there were scenes where you were just like: "wait what the fuck just happened??! how did we get there?" Also the 1:44 hour movie encompasses a 14 day period and the transitioning from day to day was utterly horrible.
- Also the Taliban fighters were reminiscent of crazed Japanese attackers from WWII movies.

All in all, 6.5/10 - this movie is an airosofters wet dream.

Oh and my absolute hugest hugest complaint in this movie is the fact that 50% of the time they were engaging the Taliban forces, they were showing the commandos shooting the bad guys in the legs. I was in utter shock. There was plenty of killing, but all close up impact of rounds was in the legs. That alone was worth -1 on the 10 scale.

I don't know, I enjoyed both Cpt. A and Thor. But, I am pretty easy to please when it comes to comic book movies.
If a movie could have an STD - Captain America would have AIDS. I hated that movie for some reason.

But at least the awesomeness of Xmen First Class and Thor made up for it.

Captain A was a "filler" movie.

Just saw a clip talking about the Red Dawn re-make being released in Nov. of this year.

Just saw a clip talking about the Red Dawn re-make being released in Nov. of this year.

I read and article that said it was originally a Chinese invasion, but it pissed off the Chinese so they dropped them from the script and went with NK

Yep. The chick in the video talks about that. They couldn't get anybody to pick the movie up with Chinese bad guys because they didn't want to piss the Chinese government off. So they CGId them into NK.

I actually got to see Act of Valor last week at an advanced screening. I thought it was an excellent film. The acting was a little cheesy when there weren't bullets in the air, and a couple of special effects shots were a little over blown, but overall I loved it. I was really excited to see it and I was expecting only an action movie but I gotta say I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater at the end.

On a side note the guy next to me kept saying he thought it was unrealistic for Filipino and Russian/Chechen bad guys to be working together... I guess there are some naive people out there.

Saw that one a while ago one of my former geek soldiers computers. Its not too bad, CGI is OK.

I might have to check it out then. It looked like one of those movies that could be good, or they could royally fuck it up.

You sure? I always thought that the local populace are Pakistanis not Afghans. Think they wanted it to be 'real' but it got a little 'too real', hence the ridiculus ToTS kinda thing.
Ohh well, just an opinion.

Back