22nd SAS pulling out of Afghanistan to prepare for terror threat to 2012 Olympic Games

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...guard-London-2012-Olympic-Games.html?ITO=1490

The SAS will wrap up their mission in Afghanistan in six months’ time to prepare for anti-terror duty at next year’s Olympic Games in London, according to reports.

It is thought that the Royal Navy's Special Boat Service will continue to carry out missions there.

The SAS, some of whom took part in a recent live-round anti-terror training exercise with police at the Olympic village, will come home and make security at the Games their priority.

The elite troops have been freed up because they have been so successful in their winter ‘kill and capture’ missions against the Taliban, according to The Sun, that they have been left with few targets.

An insider told the paper: ‘It has got so quiet out there it’s been decided the SAS will leave in six months. They’ve done incredible work since they arrived but the job is too small now to have the SAS there. The job has changed.’

The source added: ‘The SBS will continue training Afghan troops and going on covert missions.’
A Ministry of Defence spokesman told MailOnline: 'We do not comment on special forces operations.'

News of the reported tactical shift follows the death of a soldier believed to have been serving with the SAS.

Corporal Lloyd Newell, from the Parachute Regiment, died in an operation in Helmand last Thursday. He was married with a nine-week-old daughter.

The MoD would not release details of his age or where he was from, but according to The Sun Corporal Newell was in the SAS.

An Army spokesman paid tribute to the soldier who was 'cherished' by his friends.

He said: 'Corporal Lloyd Newell was a man of integrity and principle. He was a natural and talented soldier who loved his work and the military lifestyle.'

" ‘It has got so quiet out there it’s been decided the SAS will leave in six months. They’ve done incredible work since they arrived but the job is too small now to have the SAS there."
Ok, I'm not 'in the know' but even I know it's far from over to call the country "quiet"....

A little unusual to have the entire Regiment doing the black role gig at one time.

SAS might have an AO that is not as busy as the others. Could be some patch of dirty out West for all we know.

Saying there aren't enough targets in Afghanistan is like telling me you fell out of a boat and couldn't find water.

thats not necessarily true. When I was in Jalalabad in 2005. There were NO targets. In 3-4 months we hit 4 objectives. It was D-E-D, dead.

It all depends where they are and SAS hunt HVTs - not new Taliban recruits.

Many times guys sit around playing Xbox and working out when they should be asigned to a different AO. If the 22nd is sitting around in places like Balakh, Faryab, Badghis, etc. I absolutely believe that they do not have enough targets.

thats not necessarily true. When I was in Jalalabad in 2005. There were NO targets. In 3-4 months we hit 4 objectives. It was D-E-D, dead.

It all depends where they are and SAS hunt HVTs - not new Taliban recruits.

Many times guys sit around playing Xbox and working out when they should be asigned to a different AO. If the 22nd is sitting around in places like Balakh, Faryab, Badghis, etc. I absolutely believe that they do not have enough targets.

HVT's, sure...but I was speaking in more broad terms including MVTs and other SOF missions.

We just recently dealt with a similar issue with our recent olympic commitment in vancouver 2010. Those tasks are man-managment nightmares.

Back