.308 Semi-Auto Help

Nikolai308

Verified Military
Comrades,

A friend has rejoined my police department and will be getting back on our tactical team next summer. He wants to upgrade his current sniper rifle (bolt action Savage) to a semi-automatic. I am not super familiar with all the rifle companies that can make sub-moa .308 sniper rifles. He is looking for a 16"-20" barrel, holds sub-moa out to 600 yards, will maintain moa, and is decently priced. What are your suggestions and why?

He was looking at Savage MSR 10 Hunter or the MSR 10 Long Range. My suggestion is to find a purpose build rifle. If you gentlemen have any insight on the Savages it would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Nikolai308

When in doubt for sub moa .308 semi auto... A-I be warned, they're not inexpensive, but once you shoot one, you will be hooked.

Stop spamming the board with the same question 3 times, you've had your informal warning in another thread. Re-read the intro rules to familiarize yourself with the protocols here.

Last edited:
When in doubt for sub moa .308 semi auto... A-I be warned, they're not inexpensive, but once you shoot one, you will be hooked.

Stop spamming the board with the same question 3 times, you've had your informal warning in another thread. Re-read the intro rules to familiarize yourself with the protocols here.

I will stop the spamming, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Luckily my friend is single at this point, so maybe an AI is not out of the question.

I am not a sniper, but I hold my own in long-distance precision shooting. AI makes good stuff. If I was to move away from bolt, I would take a hard look at AI or a KAC SR25.

Accuracy International all the way - I fired their .338 in Iraq enough to tell you they produce top quality rifles. I have no doubts that your buddy will be satisfied with their products. I am not however, seeing on their website any semi-automatic platforms.

The savage you mentioned looks pretty cool but I wouldn't skimp on price. Odds are the ammo consumed in practice will be damn near the price you're looking to pay for a quality rifle. Might as well get a quality platform - we have members that are a bit more authorative on the subject for good reason but I feel that all would agree on the suggestion of an LWRC.

I've used those as well (Iraq as well lol) and those were very impressive. I've heard that they have outstanding customer service from a friend who purchased some of their stuff.

Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts on LaRue for a semiauto?

LaRue makes good stuff, but kind of a 'boutique' manufacturer. I don't know if I have seen any on any tac teams; the few I have seen at the ranges have been good to go.

Another decent choice is the HK762. I think I have a pic on here somewhere we me at a range shooting iron sites at 100 yards; group was quarter-size. That same rifle with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 is hitting a 5" gong at 1,000 yards.

Accuracy International all the way - I fired their .338 in Iraq enough to tell you they produce top quality rifles. I have no doubts that your buddy will be satisfied with their products. I am not however, seeing on their website any semi-automatic platforms.

The savage you mentioned looks pretty cool but I wouldn't skimp on price. Odds are the ammo consumed in practice will be damn near the price you're looking to pay for a quality rifle. Might as well get a quality platform - we have members that are a bit more authorative on the subject for good reason but I feel that all would agree on the suggestion of an LWRC.

I've used those as well (Iraq as well lol) and those were very impressive. I've heard that they have outstanding customer service from a friend who purchased some of their stuff.

My duty rifle for a long time was an LWRC. I love that fucking thing. I had an opportunity to shoot the REPR at the factory range and I think it’s awesome. However, once again I’m not a sniper and those that are may have a different opinion.

LaRue makes good stuff, but kind of a 'boutique' manufacturer. I don't know if I have seen any on any tac teams; the few I have seen at the ranges have been good to go.

I ask because I know it has done very well at the USASOC sniper comp in the past. I have nooooo experience with the weapon, but I figure if SOTIC (or SFSC or whatever) are running the weapons they must be pretty good. As always: reading < doing, hence the question.

I ask because I know it has done very well at the USASOC sniper comp in the past. I have nooooo experience with the weapon, but I figure if SOTIC (or SFSC or whatever) are running the weapons they must be pretty good. As always: reading < doing, hence the question.

It has (had good success at competitions), the guys I know who have shot it have had great success, but the rifles I have seen have been few and far between.

What are everyone's thoughts on LaRue for a semiauto?

One of our T-Cell Staff five years ago was, hands down, the most insane individual I have ever idolized. Dude's background was SF enlisted before he became an A-type, and he eventually made it over to the JSOC level as an assaulter. Total force multiplier at all levels of training - very passionate, intelligent, and experienced in the entire spectrum of military operations, SOF, and warfare.

Just from what I could tell through conversation and such, he loved three things:

-His Dogs
-His Farm
-His LaRue rifles (yes plural)

One of our T-Cell Staff five years ago was, hands down, the most insane individual I have ever idolized. Dude's background was SF enlisted before he became an A-type, and he eventually made it over to the JSOC level as an assaulter. Total force multiplier at all levels of training - very passionate, intelligent, and experienced in the entire spectrum of military operations, SOF, and warfare.

Just from what I could tell through conversation and such, he loved three things:

-His Dogs
-His Farm
-His LaRue rifles (yes plural)

The 7.62/.308 LaRue I have no experience with. The 5.56, I have much experience with and is as good a 5.56 AR as there is: same 'level' as KAC, Noveske.

Of course, I have had no experience with one down range, my experience is vanilla with Colt/FN. A local guy, retired SF, has a LaRue 14.5" PredatOBR, about 12,000 documented rounds, is doing his own version of a "torture test" so it has never been cleaned (well lubed, though), zero issues.

The 7.62/.308 LaRue I have no experience with. The 5.56, I have much experience with and is as good a 5.56 AR as there is: same 'level' as KAC, Noveske.

Of course, I have had no experience with one down range, my experience is vanilla with Colt/FN. A local guy, retired SF, has a LaRue 14.5" PredatOBR, about 12,000 documented rounds, is doing his own version of a "torture test" so it has never been cleaned (well lubed, though), zero issues.

My understanding is the 7.62 variants are what separates LaRue from the rest of the pack. Personally I want the 7.62 x 39 CMMG Mutant.

My understanding is the 7.62 variants are what separates LaRue from the rest of the pack. Personally I want the 7.62 x 39 CMMG Mutant.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. As for the Mutant, yeah, I like it. An AR and AK had a night of hot sex and the Mutant is the result.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. As for the Mutant, yeah, I like it. An AR and AK had a night of hot sex and the Mutant is the result.

Big fan of the ammunition/cost/close to medium range effectiveness. The manufacturer promises less than 1.5MOA which is MORE than awesome for what you need.

We're all forgetting one of my all time favorites... the true Belgian (FNH) FN-FAL inch model in .308/7.62 Nato. Just at MOA at 550m with good optics... although finding one anymore is hard. Piston versus direct impingement arguments may now begin... I will admit piston can be harder to clean when you do a full takedown, especially the reassembly with the gas outlet setting.

We're all forgetting one of my all time favorites... the true Belgian (FNH) FN-FAL inch model in .308/7.62 Nato. Just at MOA at 550m with good optics... although finding one anymore is hard. Piston versus direct impingement arguments may now begin... I will admit piston can be harder to clean when you do a full takedown, especially the reassembly with the gas outlet setting.

I actually won't argue it - piston or direct, it is the shooter's responsibility to be effective once the weapon is proven to consistently go "bang" and cycle/function fully. Just be weary of the almighty "Frankenfal" which, I know an individual who dealt with that situation in an ArmsList deal. Spoiler alert: he didn't get his money back.

I actually won't argue it - piston or direct, it is the shooter's responsibility to be effective once the weapon is proven to consistently go "bang" and cycle/function fully. Just be weary of the almighty "Frankenfal" which, I know an individual who dealt with that situation in an ArmsList deal. Spoiler alert: he didn't get his money back.

Serial numbers... matching serial numbers... known seller... ability to punch a cheat in the face upon finding out you're getting cheated. All good things.

Ah, the rifle of how many brush wars?? It is an iconic rifle for sure. And piston isn't that much harder to clean....

Back