33-cm Band Experience?

Brill

SOF Support
Anyone (e.g. @Ranger Psych) have experience in the 902-928Mhz band? I'm interested in the FHSS technology of Motorla DTR5XX and DTR6XX radios because the FHSS isn't susceptible to interference and the one to one, one to all, or one to group ability.

Last edited:
When we (the security company I worked for previously) assumed post at the mine I worked at, I immediately went to DTR410 radios as an easy and feature-filled radio for on-site communications... with the specific things you mentioned being high on my list of adding worth to the radios, since as health/safety/welfare/security the ability to mass page everyone with a radio that HEY THERES A BEAR AT CAMP, WE ARE DEALING WITH IT, STAY INSIDE would have been and eventually was nice... plus, they had been using marine band handhelds as that's the handheld that basically the interior of Alaska uses for local communications, right or wrong... but the FCC is more likely to go after a Business (even in bumfuck Alaska) doing the wrong thing than a bunch of people in the middle of bumfuck, ya know?

There's one problem... Digital is generally crap. I say this lovingly, as we're transitioning to digital capable radios within the family (currently have 2x FT-1DR Yaesu's, going to put FTM-400 mobiles in each vehicle + house eventually plus an additional handheld for the midg if she gets her license) but these non-license needing "commercial" radios are horribad. They only push one watt... and we couldn't communicate a mile LOS in the open with them, standing out in the open, able to see each other.

The thing with spread spectrum/freq hop digital is that it has a distinct cutoff... where if you are running analog, you can turn down the squelch and be able to hear a transmission that may be sorta crap, but you can hear.... with a digital radio, especially PURE digital like these vs my ham radios that can switch between dig and analog.... if you don't have enough signal, you're not getting anything. Not a half broken transmission, just flat out nothing.

That "nothing" is why digital's a big argument in the fire service even now... where analog you could hold down the no-squelch button on a radio if someone's coming in garbled inside of a building and be able to hear them.. digital radio, you might hear "MAY" and that's it... none of the LUNAR info for what a firefighting Mayday actually entails as far as who what where what help how much air bla de blah.

So in retrospect, and with personal experience with them now.... I can't honestly recommend them. They're limited to 1 watt power output which is less than any license-requiring commercial band radio due both to being in the license-free zone as well as 900mhz, and that power is going to restrict distance. Plus, you can't really get a base station for them nor swap antennae really for better reception or to have a fixed high-power "dispatch" node on the network. They also don't support having repeaters, which would otherwise nullify the crap power and antennae on the radios themselves.

What's your intent with these, anyway?

Why am I not surprised that you were familiar with that band? :D

Appreciate the info! As for intent, well, you know...a little of this, a little of that. Seriously, just a new better mouse trap.

Last edited:
@Jefedesalto stop advertising until you have permission from either an admin or a moderator. See the permissions tab at the top of your screen and follow instructions.

Back