5 SOF soldiers KIA Afghanistan

Rest in peace. I hate hearing about this kind of thing. The two men publicly identified so far were 22 and 24 year old studs. I can't imagine the grief their parents must be going through. They did a fine job of raising these men, and they served their country well in the time they had.

RIP. Unfortunately as high tech as we have become human and mechanical error are still applicable. This is a
JTAC 's worst nightmare of dropping ordanance on friendlies. I never was a fan of doing CAS with B-1's or B-52's from 40K.

The names are officially out.

http://www.defense.gov/Releases/Release.aspx?ReleaseID=16773

Staff Sgt. Scott R. Studenmund, 24, of Pasadena, California;
Staff Sgt. Jason A. McDonald, 28, of Butler, Georgia;
Spc. Justin R. Helton, 25, of Beaver, Ohio;
Cpl. Justin R. Clouse, 22, of Sprague, Washington; and
Pvt. 2nd Class Aaron S. Toppen, 19, of Mokena, Illinois.

Staff Sgt. Studenmund and Staff Sgt. McDonald were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Spc. Helton was assigned to the 18th Ordnance Company, 192nd Ordnance Battalion, 52nd Ordnance Group, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Cpl. Clouse and Pvt. 2nd Class Toppen were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado.

Blue Skies.

Rest in peace to the fallen and prayers out to their family and friends. If any of you here knew them, my sincere condolences.

I have worked with the men of Ft. Campbell in the past. It sickens me to know that I might have even heard one of their voices calling in a 5-line, sometime in the past.

My condolences to the families. I am sure these were all great men that the free world, and not just their families, will miss.

The report is out: http://www.airforcetimes.com/articl...mbs-killed-U-S-soldiers-after-location-mix-up

I really feel for the JTAC. I can only imagine what he's dealing with after killing multiple friendlies. I hate to sound like an armchair quarterback, but based on the article, this could have easily been avoided with a little more care taken on the JTAC's part. Definitely lessons to be learned from this.

RIP to SSG Jason McDonald, SSG Scott Studenmund, SPC Justin Helton, CPL Justin Cloust, PVT Aaron Topped and Afghan National Army Sgt. Gulbuddin Ghulam Sakhi.

Back