6 weeks to get contracted for Navy Diver. What are my options

The more miles you can do without pain

I was a professional Triathlete and world ranked for a time being.

It took awhile, but you need to be acutely aware of the difference between pain and discomfort. Discomfort is something you can, and should push through. Pain is the warning of injury. Pain means you need to pull back and assess the situation. It's a fine line.

I applaud @Arf for how he advises you all on running. I know nothing about his selection, but his advice on running is golden for new long runners.

@Arf , That's great insight. What would you think about incorporating something like a marathon training plan? Of course you may not be getting up to that distance, but it sounds like the established plans have built in parameters about which you are speaking.

To piggyback, now they have that prep school at great lakes, what kind of volume of running do they do there?

To piggyback, now they have that prep school at great lakes, what kind of volume of running do they do there?

To clarify, SEAL/SWCC Prep is together and is very different from EOD and Dive Prep. Both are in Great Lakes, but they have them separate.

EOD and Dive prep’s “pool week” IS their selection from what I understand. I’ve never been through it, and I can’t give specifics, but they lose most of their guys pretty much immediately.

BUD/S Prep or NSW Prep has you running 3 to 4 times a week. Long slow distance on fridays that is never slow, hill sprints and 400, 800, 1 mile and 2 mile repeats on flat ground the rest of the time.
I did not think BUD/S Prep was a cake walk. 3 gruesome workouts a day, and there were quitters. However, they were workouts designed to get you stronger, they weren’t beat downs. I did get much much stronger in BUD/S Prep.
That being said, some people weren’t strong enough to take the load in the first place and either quit or got injured. I got injured myself, but fortunately I was able to recover and move on.

What would you think about incorporating something like a marathon training plan? Of course you may not be getting up to that distance, but it sounds like the established plans have built in parameters about which you are speaking.

I have often thought that if someone followed a marathon training plan without getting hurt, and felt comfortable enough to keep it up, they would do well in selection. The problem is just that it takes so much time to hit that mileage, and then you need to do the calethenics and the swimming on top of it.

I struggled to have time to workout everything I needed to in order to be ready. Run for an hour, swim for an hour, strength training for 1 to 2 hours. By the end of all that you still feel like you didn’t have time to get everything you need work on. Then account for stretching and active recovery.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Yes I think a marathon training plan would be an excellent way to get your legs into proper shape, provided you have the time and don’t get hurt.

@PineTree asked me how to train in a pool during COVID and this came to mind.

350 isn’t a lot of money to be able to train as long as you want, whenever you want. If you can figure this out that would be great.

Otherwise the only ideas I have for you would be to train in the ocean or a lake/ river. Using a wet suit as floatation would be a good idea if you are by yourself.

@Arf

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. Now to figure out how to fit an inflatable pool in my Manhattan apartment!

In all seriousness, I'm thinking about maybe trying to do a "swim weekend" once a month or so, where I rent an Airbnb upstate near a lake/river and just swim and fin all weekend. It's not ideal, but gets me in the water and gets me some mileage. Or at the very least get an airbnb with a pool and bring a bungee

@Arf

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. Now to figure out how to fit an inflatable pool in my Manhattan apartment!

In all seriousness, I'm thinking about maybe trying to do a "swim weekend" once a month or so, where I rent an Airbnb upstate near a lake/river and just swim and fin all weekend. It's not ideal, but gets me in the water and gets me some mileage. Or at the very least get an airbnb with a pool and bring a bungee

That sounds really expensive!!! I hope you are able to find a pool around you that you can go to more often.

I was able to find a public gym/pool that is open as of a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully you are able to find that.

Back