60mm mortar from the hip

Anybody firing 60mm mortar from the hip is a candidate as a Future Darwin Award winner (2010?).
And, I pray his buddies (if any) stay well clear of this idiot.
If he was a "real badass" he'd fire it from the shoulder, anyway.}:-)

I heard of guys planting the base against a tree and doing direct lay. But from the hip. He's lucky he didn't break his leg.

Israeli 60mm.....hip-fired....IDF jump in here.....

The guy firing the 60mm was missing the asbestos glove sleeve that normally accompanies the tube for FFE.

Base-plate is ergonomical in that it's supposed to fit onto your leg/thigh IN THE SQUATTING position...

I've fired the Is. 60mm off my thigh....it's a direct lay weapon and extremely effective.....

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

:cool::2c:

There are hand held mortars that are meant to be fired that way, just not the one used in the video.

The guy firing the 60mm was missing the asbestos glove sleeve that normally accompanies the tube for FFE.

Base-plate is ergonomical in that it's supposed to fit onto your leg/thigh IN THE SQUATTING position...

I've fired the Is. 60mm off my thigh....it's a direct lay weapon and extremely effective.....

What's the recoil feel like on your legs? looks like it would punch down hard.

I've read about more than one British Soldier during WWII using the Japanese "Knee" mortar on the leg, resulting in broken femurs... :doh:

RB, how does that feel on the legs? Cause once a mortar gets going it beds in pretty deep, so I can't imagine it's too nice on the legs? Especially whilst squatting :D

As a former infantryman and graduate of the mortar leaders course, to me a "hip shoot" is one in which you don't have time to fully set up your sytem; is has nothing to do with firing the weapon off the ground.

The only time I would fire a 60 without the baseplate firmly pressed against the ground is if I were about to be overrun and I needed to employ my mortar in a direct-fire role. I definitely wouldn't do it just so some jackass could post the video on YouTube. :rolleyes: Where was this guy's NCOIC??

As a former infantryman and graduate of the mortar leaders course, to me a "hip shoot" is one in which you don't have time to fully set up your sytem; is has nothing to do with firing the weapon off the ground.

The only time I would fire a 60 without the baseplate firmly pressed against the ground is if I were about to be overrun and I needed to employ my mortar in a direct-fire role. I definitely wouldn't do it just so some jackass could post the video on YouTube. :rolleyes: Where was this guy's NCOIC??

Well, it's like the guys with the flaming AK and the kid who put the bottle rocket up his ass. All part of the show, your 15 minutes of fame. :D

It prolly was the NCOIC:D:p:p

Or it was the lieutenant, who was put up to it by the NCOIC. "What are you guys doing for sergeants' time today? Hip shoot with the 60? Cool, can I come?"

Next they'll probably have him doing headspace and timing on the 40mm AGL :doh:

Or it was the lieutenant, who was put up to it by the NCOIC. "What are you guys doing for sergeants' time today? Hip shoot with the 60? Cool, can I come?"

Next they'll probably have him doing headspace and timing on the 40mm AGL :doh:

I had my Lt in the 5th Mech in '84 cleaning the inside of the track wheels after an especially rainy muddy maneuver....

It takes a very large screwdriver to get all that mud out.....

Lt walked up and asked the Pvt 'How he could help'?

Company Cmdr walks up....'WTF are you doing Lt?'.....'But but but...sir'

He didn't last long....}:-)}:-)

Gotta love 2nd Lt's....:p

Back