75th Ranger Regiment 13F and Air Force SOF TACPs

Nod

Unverified
I am about to graduate from college and I am preparing myself to join the military. I am interested in Air Force TACPs and 13F in the 75th Ranger Regiment. I have tried finding an answer to this question, in this forum and in other forums, but I am finding conflicting answers. I'd appreciate it if anybody could clarify this; however, if by any means this is violating OPSEC , please tell me and I will remove this post.

Given that the 17th STS provides CAS capabilities to the 75th Ranger Regiment through SOF TACPs, are 13F's with a JTAC qualification and a SOF TACPs used interchangeably or are there certain roles reserved for each? When is one asset used over the other?

I don’t want to step too far out of my lane, but I will tell you what I know.

I have worked with both before, sometimes on the same night. From the air perspective, the only difference to us was their call sign.

Additionally, SOF TACP isn’t a job you can walk in to off the street. It’s something that you have to apply for and assess for. The SPECAT lists all of the requirements. I don’t know if that’s publicly available, but the Ones Ready Podcast has a great interview with a great guy, concerning SOF TACP.

I'm pretty sure I've seen @DasBoot or one of our other Ranger members answer this question before, or at least a similar question.

I cant quite find the thread, but perhaps one of them remembers.

Thank you for the response JedisonsDad and Cookie_, appreciate it.

I have seen the prior threads about SOF TACP/ TACP and the years of experience it takes to get to the 17th STS and the threads of what a 13F does within the Regiment. I was just curious about the differences between a 13F with JTAC qualification and a SOF TACP, once they were actually with the 17th STS. I am an enthusiastic listener of the Ones Ready Podcast and I am aware of the podcast that you are referring to. It's a great episode.

I am about to graduate from college and I am preparing myself to join the military. I am interested in Air Force TACPs and 13F in the 75th Ranger Regiment. I have tried finding an answer to this question, in this forum and in other forums, but I am finding conflicting answers. I'd appreciate it if anybody could clarify this; however, if by any means this is violating OPSEC , please tell me and I will remove this post.

Given that the 17th STS provides CAS capabilities to the 75th Ranger Regiment through SOF TACPs, are 13F's with a JTAC qualification and a SOF TACPs used interchangeably or are there certain roles reserved for each? When is one asset used over the other?
The qualification is the same for both FIST guys in the companies and the TACP dudes over at the Det. Decide if you want to be in Regiment as a Ranger or assigned to support Regiment as a TACP. You’ll have a similar experience but the real differences between the two are general “Army vs. Air Force” lifestyle and admin differences

Thanks DasBoot, this has really given me something to think about as I get closer to making a choice.

DA SWO, that's a good point, thanks for the input. This thread has definitely helped me solidify my decision.

The qualification is the same for both FIST guys in the companies and the TACP dudes over at the Det. Decide if you want to be in Regiment as a Ranger or assigned to support Regiment as a TACP. You’ll have a similar experience but the real differences between the two are general “Army vs. Air Force” lifestyle and admin differences

DB is spot on. I was a 13F.

The 13F role as a Ranger will have you flex a bit more as a junior guy than the SOF TACP (imo). As in, you might get thrown in somewhere that doesn't 100% line up with calling CAS. Once you are E4/E5 w/tab + higher, and assuming you don't get booted out of the section, then you will be doing the same job for the most part.

After visiting the SOF TACP det on base, I was a bit jealous b/c of lifestyle. Although, I would pick being in Batt as a 13F junior enlisted over AF non SOF-TACP. Just depends what you want to do.

Back