about to sign a rep 63 contract

panjsher

Unverified
Hi everyone, I just posted in the Introductions forum; this is kind of borrowed from that post, with a little added on.

I've taken my ASVAB and go into MEPS for a physical next week and would be shipping to basic in August.
I'm not in great shape, fairly underweight, and fairly weak -- in my own estimation. What I do have going for me is that, once I made this decision -- I felt like I was already in the unit; my concerns were already about deployment and whatnot. In pretty poor shape like this, I'm still able to summit 14000 foot peaks in half the time as people I'm with that are training. Of course, I've looked at some of the workouts guys are doing on here, and could not do them right now.
Between now and basic I have a little over 2 months. I've been told this is plenty of time to get in shape.
Hoping to get some help, maybe find a training partner and get some advice.

I wrote out a plan for my first week of training, that I thought was pretty good...until I saw on this website what other guys are doing, and my plan started to look pretty pathetic. Although, I am trying to stay in the mindset of giving my body what it needs to get it back to where it was several years ago.
So, my plan includes a lot of yoga, chi kung, and joint mobility exercises...and mostly bodyweight exercises, some running, and rucking and swimming 2x a week.

Curious if y'all think I've got time enough to get where I need to be. I've already quit my job, so I'll have a full two months to get ready.

cheers

On your wished for path, self guided preparation will be expected.

The following contains what you'll need to prep for Basic, AIT, ABN, which aren't terrifically hard as long you don't PLF like @Muppet . Keep it simple, IMO.

Army PT Guide

FWIW, beginning any prep program before the MEPS docs say you're healthy is not recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc. My plan also includes 'movement awareness exercises', which aren't really exercises. Basically, developing awareness and doing things with good form above all, rather than just trying to 'power through'.

As you likely already understand, at your age you are getting to a point where it becomes harder to "bounce back" from hard training and injury. Make sure you have the nutrition, stretching, and rest part down as well. There are plenty of prep guides. Take a look at www.swiftstrongdurable.com and military athlete. Good luck!

Once I made this decision, I was very confident. I suppose a little doubt has crept in....basically my question is this: I remember as an athlete in high school -- there were the guys being drafted by pro teams that were basically already grown men at 17. Just huge guys. And professional athletes that I've met -- absolutely dwarf me. I'm sure Pat Tillman was a beast. No matter what I do, I am never going to be that size. I guess my question is: does that matter? Are there candidates and Special Forces guys that are of a normal build?

I'm not in great shape, fairly underweight, and fairly weak -- in my own estimation... my plan includes a lot of yoga, chi kung, and joint mobility exercises...and mostly bodyweight exercises, some running, and rucking and swimming 2x a week... I'll have a full two months to get ready.
If you aren't in great shape, you need to be doing a lot of running and bodyweight exercises- not some.

Do yoga and whatever the other thing is if you have time to waste, but it's not going to make a difference in any type of selection.

No, two months is not that much time.

Well...I'm having trouble following exactly what my timetable will be like. (Between the recruiters and the books I'm reading -- I found Chosen Soldier and Masters of Chaos. In Chosen, the 18xers are going through SFAS prep school, which I haven't heard anything about.) I'll have two months -- then OSUT and Airborne, and then an indeterminate amount of time back with a Guard unit in Colorado. It's that last amount of time that has me wondering. The recruiters haven't seemed to have great answers for how much time I'll have, or even what I'll be doing at that point. They mentioned the possibility of a Readiness Company, but that doesn't sound like a sure thing.

When did REP63's start going back to their unit? In the long, long ago once they left for Basic they were on orders until they donned the beret or dropped from the pipeline.

When did REP63's start going back to their unit? In the long, long ago once they left for Basic they were on orders until they donned the beret or dropped from the pipeline.
They might be saying that because course dates haven't loaded yet.
My son had a similar situation; they changed his orders and added his courses one at a time, but he ended up going straight through.

Well...the initial impression I got was that I immediately went to "SOTP" - the Special Operations Training Program. But the last time I was in the office the recruiter said it could be months before I went to selections, and I was just part of the unit as normal Guard until then.

Well...the initial impression I got was that I immediately went to "SOTP" - the Special Operations Training Program. But the last time I was in the office the recruiter said it could be months before I went to selections, and I was just part of the unit as normal Guard until then.

That makes sense, but not going to Basic and AIT or whatever and then returning to your unit until other schools open up. Maybe things changed.

I'll have to double check. So is SOTP like prep school that then sends you to selections, or is SOTP selections itself? This has not been made very clear to me, and I haven't been able to speak with a recruiter that deals specifically with SF.

Inside the SFQC if I did my search right, I'm pretty sure that this dose not include SFPC which is 2 extra weeks and SFAS which is another 24 day
SFQC-Table.jpg

I hope it helps my friend, You are in for quite the journey.

Thanks guys. I cleared things up today...it looks like once I ship to basic, I'm in the pipeline, including pre-SFAS, until I'm out.

Back