Achilles issues

Seriously Tote:

All we could do was stretch..and eat Motrin...doesn't always work or take away the pain..but it helps.

I'd have candidates fall back on ruckmarchs in SFAS and the best common sense advice I could give would be 'Don't do permanent damage'. Rest, relaxation stretch everyday and proper meds....(ours was the ever present Motrin)

But as stated before, Motrin, as do all meds, have certain side effects. Coming up with the best combo is going to be your onus...but the advice given by many wannabe [sic] RN's/LN's (like Chops) on this ste should help...

Don't hate, all you RN's/LN's....

I think they sell Motrin at Target.

Shut up, Chops!!....wannabe....lolol..... }:-)}:-)}:-) ;)

They do sell Motrin at Target..as well as the Target brand Ibuprofen..which is the same as Motrin..only cheaper..so you can get more for less. BTW. Im an MA. Geesh..how the hell long have you known me now?:doh:

They do sell Motrin at Target..as well as the Target brand Ibuprofen..which is the same as Motrin..only cheaper..so you can get more for less. BTW. Im an MA. Geesh..how the hell long have you known me now?:doh:

Let it go, Chop! You're eyes are starting to look like little red, uh, targets....}:-)

Don't take meds for pain, then push yourself! Take the pain or don't run and take the meds, its that simple. Run ONLY when you have to, bike instead or SOMETHING. Now, move out smartly and draw fire.

By the way, that comment "take a knee and face out" was dead ballz on and funny as all get-out.

Let it go, Chop! You're eyes are starting to look like little red, uh, targets....}:-)

They are NOT red LOL. Pardon me while I stretch my achilles and plantar fascia..so I can go out while its still dark and.....RUN!! ZING!:D
get it..still DARK out..so one cannot be SEEN???

An update... a week later.

I've put into my routine several of the stretches mentioned in this thread, as well as the ones sent to me by Chop. One of the critical points made by Typhoon was the dropping of the knee toward the floor while stretching the calves, as to shift the tension off of the upper calf, and focus (much) more heavily on the lower calf/ankle area. (Though I am keeping straight leg calf stretch in there as well, to make sure that the upper part is properly loosened). I've also been devoting a good bit more attention to the post-workout stretching.

Been on the ankle four times since the initial post, Tues, Thurs, Sat, and earlier today. So far speed has shifted to a 9:30 pace as of today, still holding 20:00 time. Pain is still there, but only toward the end of the run and is less than before, and the swelling is significantly reduced. Overall, things feel much better, and endurance is improved (not a rigorously scientific note, but worth mentioning). I used ibuprofen last Tues/Thurs, but as of Saturday, it has not been required to control the swelling (it usually goes away within half an hour).

Current plan is to move forward at 5-10% increase in speed per week, and to maintain the same time (scheduling slots for the treadmill at the gym works well for a 20 min run).

Thanks to all for your help. :D

Back