AF Medics attending SOCM

Paul215

Verified Military
Hello, used the search feature and have exhausted every POC in my chain of command as well as SOF personnel at my current location on this. I have heard rumors of med techs being able to attend SOCM as a "shred out" and primarily deploy with SOF as opposed to going the IDMT route. The knowledge I have gathered so far is primarily that the SOCM course is a joint course outside of that the course description seems somewhat similar to my tech school outside of the finals phases. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Was not exactly sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section I apologize.

Thanks

Hello, used the search feature and have exhausted every POC in my chain of command as well as SOF personnel at my current location on this. I have heard rumors of med techs being able to attend SOCM as a "shred out" and primarily deploy with SOF as opposed to going the IDMT route. The knowledge I have gathered so far is primarily that the SOCM course is a joint course outside of that the course description seems somewhat similar to my tech school outside of the finals phases. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Was not exactly sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section I apologize.

Thanks

As of now Air Force students do not attend SOCM. They do attend SOCMSSC (refresher) if they have already attended SOCM or the PJ course and need to keep their ATP cards up to date.

Well that's unfortunate, I am not a PJ nor am I currently SOF affiliated however I will be PCS'ing to a joint command and am looking into any ways of pursuing something along the lines of SOCM in the realm of my current AFSC (4N0x1) if you have any input. Thanks for the updated information

From the information I've gathered attending the SOCM course (preciously) would allow me to deploy primarily with assets outside the typical realms of my current career field. I'd ideally like to be out in the field (as rare as it is for AF medics) and working in that small team environment.

As of now Air Force students do not attend SOCM. They do attend SOCMSSC (refresher) if they have already attended SOCM or the PJ course and need to keep their ATP cards up to date.
CBack is the 100% expert on this issue. This is the answer.

Why do you want SOCM?
Because SOCM is still the service-standard that most look for to augment joint units. Long story short- it's the way that you can actually augment ground units from the AF side, which does not routinely do so.

Well that's unfortunate, I am not a PJ nor am I currently SOF affiliated however I will be PCS'ing to a joint command and am looking into any ways of pursuing something along the lines of SOCM in the realm of my current AFSC (4N0x1) if you have any input. Thanks for the updated information
Paul, not an issue. Your question is one many have in the AF. PM me, we can chat.

Back