AF Wants to Cut Nearly 50% of TACP's.

AWP

SOF Support
This is from April, so I don't know how we missed it or my search-fu is off today.

Air Force looks to cut nearly 50% of tactical air control party jobs

The Air Force is set to shrink its elite corps of tactical air control party airmen by nearly half over the next three years, Air Force Times has learned.

Downsizing the cohort is among the Air Force’s latest steps to pivot toward the Indo-Pacific after 20 years of more traditional air-ground wars in the Middle East.

I have read, and heard from a former (retired) TACP, that "most" (his word) are vacancies. But I am not sure he's in the know than anyone else.

I have read, and heard from a former (retired) TACP, that "most" (his word) are vacancies. But I am not sure he's in the know than anyone else.
This is much ado about nothing, honestly. They're going to cut "projections" in the career field. As the Army isn't requesting XXX number of JTAC's (cause the Army isn't currently in a 3 theater sustained DTAC engagement), it's mainly on the production side.

Until they start re-classing TACP's (not happening), this story is about people not understanding how the AF projects and trains forces.

This is much ado about nothing, honestly. They're going to cut "projections" in the career field. As the Army isn't requesting XXX number of JTAC's (cause the Army isn't currently in a 3 theater sustained DTAC engagement), it's mainly on the production side.

Until they start re-classing TACP's (not happening), this story is about people not understanding how the AF projects and trains forces.

But you have to admit, some of the AF's personnel decisions (Lookin' at you, Deborah Lee), make the story plausible. AF leadership is so out of touch with reality I could see it roll in and start cutting entire ASOS'.

But you have to admit, some of the AF's personnel decisions (Lookin' at you, Deborah Lee), make the story plausible. AF leadership is so out of touch with reality I could see it roll in and start cutting entire ASOS'.
Double edged sword, really.

The same incompetence that makes the story believable makes the actual implementation of the story completely implausible. The AF is a dog chasing cars right now, and they have no idea what to do if they catch one.

Maybe the AF can send them, and the A-10s (and the budget and manning slots ;) ) over to the Army?
Those manpower slots are going elsewhere.
Rumsfeld took manpower slots from the AF and gave them to the Army during OIF. The real answer is to make the 13F's do what they claim they can do.

Back