Afghan Warlord "Ends" Insurgency

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) -- Afghan rebel leader and Taliban and al Qaeda ally Gulbuddin Hekmatyar has declared a ceasefire against Afghanistan's government, he said in a statement.

Ceasefire?? Bwahahahaha. Ol' Gulbuddin must be running low on rockets again if he's talking about a ceasefire. It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with the HIV.... I mean the "HIG" anymore. But like Free said, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Important nuance of the quote: coalition forces are not "Afghanistan's government."

For those that don't know Hekmatyar's background, here's a rather sterile and almost complimentary view I found on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulbuddin_Hekmatyar

KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) -- Afghan rebel leader and Taliban and al Qaeda ally Gulbuddin Hekmatyar has declared a ceasefire against Afghanistan's government, he said in a statement.

Ceasefire?? Bwahahahaha. Ol' Gulbuddin must be running low on rockets again if he's talking about a ceasefire. It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with the HIV.... I mean the "HIG" anymore. But like Free said, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Important nuance of the quote: coalition forces are not "Afghanistan's government."

For those that don't know Hekmatyar's background, here's a rather sterile and almost complimentary view I found on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulbuddin_Hekmatyar
And those of us who know Hekmatyar personally, there are more than a few uncomplimentary things that could be added, and not just about him but about the ISI and CIA.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
SOF Support
And those of us who know Hekmatyar personally, there are more than a few uncomplimentary things that could be added, and not just about him but about the ISI and CIA.

I have yet to find anything positive about the ISI/ CIA connection.

R

rangerpsych

Hekmatyar was to be flexcuffed and beaten on sight last time I was in the 'stan, that change?

Sigi

Unverified
Gulbuddin Hekmatyar has declared a ceasefire against Afghanistan's government, he said in a statement.
He is buying. They always do when they call for a cease far.

Hekmatyar was to be flexcuffed and beaten on sight last time I was in the 'stan, that change?
Didn't they conclude they had the wrong guy when they thought they had captured Hekmatyar?

Anything in there about how he flirted with both Islamism and Communism at Kabul University and after he decided that Islamism offered more, he made a name by throwing acid at unveiled females? Or the attack on Massoud's commanders after a peace/strategy coordination meeting back in 1991 (might have been '90, I'm getting old)?

You know Hekmatyar personally? That must be quite a story.
We worked with the leadership of the "Peshawar 7" fairly regularly. I actually only met Hekmatyar once, but he is rather memorable. Although, oddly, the thing I remember most is that he would be utterly forgettable but for Hizb-e Islami and Pakistani backing. He really seems like a nobody.

Here, with the rest of the Peshawar leadership, he is the smallest and least interesting figure in the room in almost every respect. I suppose that hides a certain canniness, though. He did manage to get the center chair.

Attachments

• Peshawar Seven.jpg
    Peshawar Seven.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9