AFSOC personalities

Eddy

Motor T
Verified Military
Hope you all are having a wonderful evening,

I am a Former Marine who is looking to continue his service in the Air Force Reserves or Air National Guard as a PJ or TACP, I’m leaning more towards the PJ side because I’ve known about the good ole pararescueman since I was a kid, and I am going to EMT/Paramedic school so I figured that no matter if I’m doing PJ things with my PJ friends or responding to emergencies in the civilian sector, I would still be applying somewhat of the same skills in both positions.

I was just wondering if any of you AFSOC guys ever noticed a difference between the overall personalities of other AFSOC forces? Maybe something that you’ve seen a bunch of CCT guys do but not the PJs or SOWT guys?

PJ's have some of the best hair I have ever seen, the CCT guys have perfect calves and SOWT guys have amazing eyebrows! All badasses as well!

It’s pretty much a documentary on how to be a PJ.

Haha see now I wish you guys wouldn’t have brought it up, I’m over here trying to find it now.

The first time I ever saw a rope rescue on tv was when my uncle would watch the history channel and they’d show those old videos of the old school Pararescue guys being lowered into the jungle from the old stallions (or at least thats the name I know those choppers by)

My uncle was a Vietnam Marine himself, he joined before the war started.

Having good hair is a must! Preferably close to slightly out of regs. Also the biggest difference I have seen between CCT, PJ, and JTACs/ TACP dudes is personality. There is a huge difference between all of these mission sets that come with different mind sets. Obviously if you are a JTAC, TACP, or CCT you will probably be spending the majority of your time with the ARMY unless you are lucky enough to get assigned to a team but in general if you join a guard or reserve unit your deployment schedule will differ slightly. Just depends on if you want to direct fires for the GFC or save lives on a helo.

Not saying that PJs dont get to do all of that cool stuff but in the current fight in general its picking dudes up at an HLZ and keeping him alive until they get to a hospital

Not saying that PJs dont get to do all of that cool stuff but in the current fight in general its picking dudes up at an HLZ and keeping him alive until they get to a hospital
Oh really?

The tribes are the tribes. You’ll pick up differences and similarities as you hang around the different tribes.

The question, @Eddy is ‘why does that matter’?

Hey I was just wondering, I know as a Marine I’ve seen some differences in the personalities of Marines in other specialties. I figured it would be a good opportunity for some of the AFSOC personnel to maybe share a story or two about incounter that they’ve had and maybe share a laugh. That’s all

Hey I was just wondering, I know as a Marine I’ve seen some differences in the personalities of Marines in other specialties. I figured it would be a good opportunity for some of the AFSOC personnel to maybe share a story or two about incounter that they’ve had and maybe share a laugh. That’s all

Ok, that at least makes a little sense. There are some differences in the personality types amongst the career fields, but that’s more for those guys to rib each other about, you know?

Except SERE guys. I’ll bag on these dudes ALLLLLL day.

The AF is weird because almost everyone wants to be someone else.

Fighter pilots want to be gods.
Bomber pilots want to be fighter pilots.
Aircrew want to be pilots.
Most the AF wants to be a fighter pilot.
Security Forces wants to be Rangers.
The portion of Comm who doesn't want to be a pilot wants to a l33t hax0r like those on TV.
SERE wants to be PJ's.
TACP's want to be respected.
CCT's want to be JTAC's.

Ok, that at least makes a little sense. There are some differences in the personality types amongst the career fields, but that’s more for those guys to rib each other about, you know?

Good to go,

Personally that’s just how I am, I like to try to get the guys who have been in the position i am trying to fill to talk amongst eachother, I like to get a feel for the seasoned guys and how they think. I’ve learned a lot from asking questions and listening to people’s discussions, even if the topic wasn’t really serious.
You never know when something said in a discussion will be reiterated. It might be today, during training, or when your down range. That’s the reason I try to bring up unique topics instead of asking a question that you guys have probably heard 10,510,000 times on the forum.

That’s the reason I try to bring up unique topics instead of asking a question that you guys have probably heard 10,510,000 times on the forum.

You will find that this forum has an incredible search function. Don't be surprised if you find threads on the topics you are thinking of, always great to see old threads brought back from the dead with good discussion.

The AF is weird because almost everyone wants to be someone else.

Fighter pilots want to be gods.
Bomber pilots want to be fighter pilots.
Aircrew want to be pilots.
Most the AF wants to be a fighter pilot.
Security Forces wants to be Rangers.
The portion of Comm who doesn't want to be a pilot wants to a l33t hax0r like those on TV.
SERE wants to be PJ's.
TACP's want to be respected.
CCT's want to be JTAC's.

You forgot A-10 pilots... they don't care what the rest of the AF thinks, they have the best CAS plane and are loved by all ground fighters.

Back