Alaska RQS Guard/Air Force

TheHulk

Unverified
Are Air Force Pararescuemen stationed in Alaska or is it solely the National Guard PJ's that are stationed there? I've read that it was different in the past, has it changed?

Are Air Force Pararescuemen stationed in Alaska or is it solely the National Guard PJ's that are stationed there? I've read that it was different in the past, has it changed?
And to clarify- there is no difference between Air Force Pararescuemen and National Guard PJ's, other than how much they work. And in some cases, the National Guard PJ's (ones with AGR positions) work as much as active duty PJ's do.

All PJ's in Alaska are Air Force PJ's, which in and of itself is slightly redundant.

That's helpful, I knew the Air National Guard was in some way part of the Air Force but I didn't quite understand that bit. Thanks for the clarification amlove.

And to clarify- there is no difference between Air Force Pararescuemen and National Guard PJ's, other than how much they work. And in some cases, the National Guard PJ's (ones with AGR positions) work as much as active duty PJ's do.

All PJ's in Alaska are Air Force PJ's, which in and of itself is slightly redundant.
So could an active duty PJ potentially be stationed at any PJ duty location after the pipeline? Like the 212th RQS or NY for example.

So could an active duty PJ potentially be stationed at any PJ duty location after the pipeline? Like the 212th RQS or NY for example.
No. Typically, guys will interview and get hired by the Guard/Reserve unit, go through the pipeline, and then report to work when complete. Active Duty guys are assigned to the active duty RQS's and STS's, not the Guard or Reserve bases (like New York, Cocoa, Portland, Alaska).

Many guys have made the Active to Guard/Reserve switch. Same sort of process- interview and tryout, and if the PJ is a good fit for the unit, they get hired.

Back