Alone - History Channel

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
Any of you guys watch this show? One of my all time favorites. Just finished season 6 and the winner is one of my favorite winners yet.

He was recently on with Joe Rogan and they spent a couple hours talking about his experiences after 77 days in the Canadian wilderness.

This dude has lived in Siberia and living solo outdoors is more of a lifestyle than a hobby for him.

In the show he killed a moose with a recurve and a pesky wolverine who kept steeling his stored fat.

As “reality shows” go, this is pretty close. Contestants drag their own cameras around and are checked in once a week by medical staff.

if you are interested, Season 6 is available on NetFlix.

#1482 - Jordan Jonas — The Joe Rogan Experience

So I’m glad I began with season 6, because season 1 is brutal. I get that contestants didn’t know anything about the show yet and that the ‘best of the best’ likely had not applied, but for fucks sake. Before day 8:

- At least 2 or 3 tapped out because they saw bear by their camp
- Another few were already ‘crying’ to the camera that they were ‘so lonely and missed their family.
- 1 dude lost his fire flint and quit the same day....while he had a burning fire
- 1 dude netted a salmon and then cleaned, cooked, and ate it in his tent...then was shocked when a cougar started poking around
- etc etc etc

Look, I get that this is supposed to be hard, but I’ve been solo camping for years and don’t even think of missing anyone while I’m out.

My girlfriend offered some perspective that I though was interesting. Most of they guys are 30 years old or younger; they’ve grown up with Facebook, cel phones, and social media. Ripping the bandaid off and taking that away from them is probably pretty shocking....maybe, but tapping out on day ONE because you saw a bear by your tent?

Did I add that the contestants are all equipped with flares and bear mace?

I have to think that even the producers were like....”they’re tapping out after 5 days”?

Hoping that with each season the contestants get a little stronger.

I haven't watched the show yet but it seems like it'd be up my alley.

I believe part of the issue is that you have a bunch of young guys looking for a sense of adventure, I'm not gonna lie I was somewhat nervous planning my first "big" backpacking trip. How I'd handle the solitude, whether my skills were up to par, and if I'd actually even enjoy it. Luckily I fell in love with it all, the solitude, the scenery, the qoute un qoute challenge, all of it. I'm currently saving up for a two week trip to Patagonia.

195e0949f65281cfbbab9f16d3f3facb.jpg

That or potentially The Laugavegur-Skogar Trail or The Arctic Circle Trail in Iceland and Greenland respectively.

laugavegur-trail-iceland-shutterstock_554344060-660x420.jpg

arctic-circle-trail.jpg

Are they just sat down in the middle of nowhere without shelter or food and have to forage and craft anything? I can definitely see how that's not something a lot of people are up to doing, my ex thought I was insane for backpacking and that's with supplies.

Muskrat. Not even once.

Damn shame about Donny he was immediately my favorite and thought he was in the best position minus a solid food supply.

And as I'm typing this the Michael Jordan of fishing (Nathan) looks to be out for the count as well.

Last edited:
Starting season 2.

Figured the guy from season 1 who tapped out after first night would be the record. Nope...now you got a guy who on video told all his buddies, “if I see a bear I’ll...blah blah blah...”.

In the woods an hour after arriving at camp, hears a bear...

“I’m tapping out!”

Damn boat was probably not even back to base yet!

Starting season 2.

Figured the guy from season 1 who tapped out after first night would be the record. Nope...now you got a guy who on video told all his buddies, “if I see a bear I’ll...blah blah blah...”.

“I’m tapping out!”

Starting season 2.

“I’m tapping out!”

If you see me fighting a bear help the bear!

3/4 thru season two. I like to believe I’d be Allen from season 1.

I think I’m more likely Larry from season 2. #swear...Swear...swear

Just finished season 7. The winner lasted 100 days in the Arctic and won $1Million.

I’m guessing he might be the first competitor to actually gain weight on that show; dude was a freaking beast who pretty much makes all of the other season winners look like complete amateurs.

Not really a spoiler, you figure out after about 2 episodes that if he does not get hurt, he will win.

Any of you guys watch this show? One of my all time favorites. Just finished season 6 and the winner is one of my favorite winners yet.

He was recently on with Joe Rogan and they spent a couple hours talking about his experiences after 77 days in the Canadian wilderness.

This dude has lived in Siberia and living solo outdoors is more of a lifestyle than a hobby for him.

In the show he killed a moose with a recurve and a pesky wolverine who kept steeling his stored fat.

As “reality shows” go, this is pretty close. Contestants drag their own cameras around and are checked in once a week by medical staff.

if you are interested, Season 6 is available on NetFlix.

#1482 - Jordan Jonas — The Joe Rogan Experience
The thing that got me was he talked like he was from a Cheech & Chong skit. But dang, that show was good. I really loved those two women, they were just magic.

So I’m glad I began with season 6, because season 1 is brutal. I get that contestants didn’t know anything about the show yet and that the ‘best of the best’ likely had not applied, but for fucks sake. Before day 8:

- At least 2 or 3 tapped out because they saw bear by their camp
- Another few were already ‘crying’ to the camera that they were ‘so lonely and missed their family.
- 1 dude lost his fire flint and quit the same day....while he had a burning fire
- 1 dude netted a salmon and then cleaned, cooked, and ate it in his tent...then was shocked when a cougar started poking around
- etc etc etc

Look, I get that this is supposed to be hard, but I’ve been solo camping for years and don’t even think of missing anyone while I’m out.

My girlfriend offered some perspective that I though was interesting. Most of they guys are 30 years old or younger; they’ve grown up with Facebook, cel phones, and social media. Ripping the bandaid off and taking that away from them is probably pretty shocking....maybe, but tapping out on day ONE because you saw a bear by your tent?

Did I add that the contestants are all equipped with flares and bear mace?

I have to think that even the producers were like....”they’re tapping out after 5 days”?

Hoping that with each season the contestants get a little stronger.
Just started season 1. How did this show get renewed for more seasons?

Back