Anaheim Police Shooting (Video included - NSFW)

chickenrappa

I thought that I would post this video here to allow people to talk about it as it seems to be something that's come out as controversial. It came out earlier today on PoliceActivity. To preface the video, I will include the background information included in the description of the video as well as the DA's office report. If you don't want to read the entire description and report, basically there was around 80 shots fired, some through the windshield and some in open air at around 9:30AM in a neighborhood. Also, the video is rather graphic - so consider yourself warned. I just wanted to see people's thoughts on the shooting after looking at the raw facts, what went wrong and right. I know we're looking at it with 20/20 vision after the fact - but I thought it'd be appropriate to discuss this incident as it's looking to be a rather controversial one.

"One Anaheim police officer has been fired and a second is facing department discipline for shooting and killing a 50-year-old man during a slow-speed pursuit through a residential neighborhood last July. The firing comes just after Orange County District Attorney’s Office Wednesday released alarming and violent dashcam and bodycam video from the July 21, 2018, shooting of Eliuth Penaloza Nava. According to the report from the DA’s office, officers Sean Staymates and Kevin Pedersen fired on Nava a staggering 76 times. “The fact that the two involved officers discharged their weapons 76 times, from a moving patrol car at Nava’s moving car, at approximately 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning, in a residential neighborhood where residents, including children, were home and on the streets, was alarming and irresponsible based on the totality of all the circumstances in this specific case,” Deputy District Attorney Scott Wooldridge wrote in his analysis. While Wooldridge found that the officers acted irresponsibly, he determined there was “a lack of sufficient evidence” to bring criminal charges against the officers. Later Wednesday, Anaheim police announced that one of the officers had been fired and the second was facing discipline. On the morning of July 21, the officers were called to a home in the 500 block of W. West Street on a report from Nava’s family that he was acting erratically, appeared to be on drugs and may be armed. Officers arrived to find him sitting his car, which was parked outside his family’s home. He then drove away, prompting a slow-speed chase. During the pursuit, the officers saw him waving a gun and opened fire on him throughout the pursuit. It was later determined that Nava was in fact carrying a CO2 air pistol BB gun. An autopsy determined he sustained at least nine gunshot wounds. "

DA's office report: http://orangecountyda.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=23754

I don't see what the controversy's about. :rolleyes:

Maybe just a few hundred more rounds to make sure the guy is no longer a threat.

Last edited:
What is this shooting through the windshield shit?

Initial pistol engagement (out of the car) was nothing more then a spray and pray.

The Officer with the M4 should have taken the long shots, and covered the other Officer as he moved up/in.

All the toys in the world are useless if you don't get trained.

I don't understand why the officer behind the wheel was shooting at all while driving. He should've just drove and let his partner with the rifle shoot as needed (we couldn't see the suspect and/or vehicle at all most of the time but it seems possible that they didn't even need to fire).

76 times and 9 hits (most of which I assume were after the suspect was stopped), huh?!

Last edited:
What is this shooting through the windshield shit?

Initial pistol engagement (out of the car) was nothing more then a spray and pray.

The Officer with the M4 should have taken the long shots, and covered the other Officer as he moved up/in.

All the toys in the world are useless if you don't get trained.
I've seen more windshield shots from shitty LEOs than I've ever seen in a damned movie. WTFF.

Utter disregard for municipal property.

I'm just surprised that no bystanders were hit 9:40am on a Sunday...then again 80 shots were fired and only 9 hit the suspect the odds of them hitting other people don't really seem that high after all..🙄

I often wonder how much they preach geometries of fire, collateral damage, etc in training for officers. Or what's acceptable in their risk matrix/management. You see videos all the time of them just unloading mags, and maybe getting 10% of their impacts where they want.

This was the Vegas pursuit that went viral and it may have influenced these guys in Anaheim. The difference is, the cops in Vegas were taking direct fire from the suspect vehicle.

Last edited:
I often wonder how much they preach geometries of fire, collateral damage, etc in training for officers. Or what's acceptable in their risk matrix/management. You see videos all the time of them just unloading mags, and maybe getting 10% of their impacts where they want.

When I went to SWAT schools, collateral damage, yes, definitely. Geometries of fire, a few minutes. We devoted a disproportionate amount of time to "CQB" stuff and high-risk stuff, and very little to stuff like this. Edited to add, that was years ago, so I have no clue what they teach now.

I'm curious as to this officer's background though?

Although I think we can all agree that his judgment was shit and he hs been fired because of it, I'm pretty impressed by his overall demeanor and ability to close with the badguy.

Pardon my lack of real world experience in shooting through a windshield, but from the five times I've gone through gryphon group and done it in a training environment... None of those shots would have hit. Amazing how much a windshield can vector the round. At least from the 9mm we shot

You can be accurate with shooting out a windshield...but limited in range, like 10-15 feet. What he was doing...your absolutely correct. Again, clown shoes.

Back