Any help will be appreciated

Jesseg248

Unverified
Well gents I'm a prior service Marine 26 years old, Radio Operator type, served in V3/8 out of camp Lejeune. I Got out in 2019 and after being out for a while I've realized my itch wasn't fully scratched. Long story short and after many nights of contemplating and losing sleep I decided to go again with the army this time. The goal is to hit Ranger regiment. Today is January 26 and i am set to take off for OSUT in may. I got an 11x contract, I wasn't able to get 11b. My pushups are at an 88, (1 minute rest between these 2) sit ups at 86, pullups at 20 (minute and a half after situps) and my 2 mile run is at 17 minutes (fuckin shit i know). I'm 5ft 7in currently at 174 lbs. and I feel if i get down to 164 i can do way better in every aspect. I've started training in December and I've made some progress. I can get about 3 miles and a half an hour, and id like some tips as to how to get that down to 4 miles an hour (Rucking) Also tips on running. I've searched on here to at least get 15 miles in, and I've tried but it seems I tried running too much too fast and now the inside of my ankle kills me every time i run or hike. I tend to just run on it anyways cuz i feel maybe I'm just being a bitch but I'm thinkin its not that. It feels pretty inflamated, I give it a couple days rest and it just seems to come back after every session. During the early day time ill do workouts such as 20 pushups and 10 pullups every minute at the minute for 10 minute rounds. I also like to do 100 pushups and 50 pullups in under 10 minutes. Those are pretty tough and fun. I also do that same type of workout with squats and situps. I have no access to a gym so bodyweight has to do. Ill also run about 3 miles in the morning and or evening. I could probably run 2 a days but like i said the interior of my shin or ankle catches on fire and gives me pain. Im sorry for the lengthy post. Ill take any advice and or workouts to do while im still home. Also OSUT will be 22 weeks before i even get a chance to RASP. That is all gents, Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well gents I'm a prior service marine 26 years old, Radio Operator type, served in V3/8 out of camp Lejeune. I Got out in 2019 and after being out for a while I've realized my itch wasn't fully scratched. Long story short and after many nights of contemplating and losing sleep I decided to go again with the army this time. The goal is to hit ranger regiment. Today is January 26 and i am set to take off for OSUT in may. I got an 11x contract, I wasn't able to get 11b. My pushups are at an 88, (1 minute rest between these 2) sit ups at 86, pullups at 20 (minute and a half after situps) and my 2 mile run is at 17 minutes (fuckin shit i know). I'm 5ft 7in currently at 174 lbs. and I feel if i get down to 164 i can do way better in every aspect. I've started training in December and I've made some progress. I can get about 3 miles and a half an hour, and id like some tips as to how to get that down to 4 miles an hour. Also tips on running. I've searched on here to at least get 15 miles in, and I've tried but it seems I tried running too much too fast and now the inside of my ankle kills me every time i run or hike. I tend to just run on it anyways cuz i feel maybe I'm just being a bitch but I'm thinkin its not that. It feels pretty inflamated, I give it a couple days rest and it just seems to come back after every session. During the early day time ill do workouts such as 20 pushups and 10 pullups every minute at the minute for 10 minute rounds. I also like to do 100 pushups and 50 pullups in under 10 minutes. Those are pretty tough and fun. I also do that same type of workout with squats and situps. I have no access to a gym so bodyweight has to do. Ill also run about 3 miles in the morning and or evening. I could probably run 2 a days but like i said the interior of my shin or ankle catches on fire and gives me pain. Im sorry for the lengthy post. Ill take any advice and or workouts to do while im still home. Also OSUT will be 22 weeks before i even get a chance to RASP. That is all gents, Thank you!

1) Nike has a 10K running plan. If you do it, follow it exactly and see your results. Do *not* try and "make it better" by doing your own thing. Give it a go, do your Marine Corps best, and see if it helps.

2) You can volunteer for RASP in OSUT when the recruiters come by. They let anyone who meets the requirements to apply and if you can meet those requirements, you'll have the opportunity to go to RASP.

3) Good luck!

1) Nike has a 10K running plan. If you do it, follow it exactly and see your results. Do *not* try and "make it better" by doing your own thing. Give it a go, do your Marine Corps best, and see if it helps.

2) You can volunteer for RASP in OSUT when the recruiters come by. They let anyone who meets the requirements to apply and if you can meet those requirements, you'll have the opportunity to go to RASP.

3) Good luck!
ill check out the program thx! Also idk how to edit my main post but when i was talkin about tryin to get 4 miles in an hour i was talking about rucking.

ill check out the program thx! Also idk how to edit my main post but when i was talkin about tryin to get 4 miles in an hour i was talking about rucking.
You can’t edit posts yet, but I fixed it for you.

Also I capitalized Marine and Ranger for you cuz… They deserve it.

Regarding rucking, make sure you check out this thread.

All rucking, all the time...

If that Nike plan is a bit rough on your ankle (btw you should get that looked at) then the Couch to 10k program might be a bit easier on it, and more gradual. It's basically interval training and you can find it in a bunch of free apps. Run/walk/run/walk/ etc until it's just run run run. But man get that foot checked out.

If that Nike plan is a bit rough on your ankle (btw you should get that looked at) then the Couch to 10k program might be a bit easier on it, and more gradual. It's basically interval training and you can find it in a bunch of free apps. Run/walk/run/walk/ etc until it's just run run run. But man get that foot checked out.
Yes I’ve been doin 20 seconds goin at 85% max speed and 30 seconds jog and I repeat that for 10x. Then other days I just run 2-3 miles for time. Well I think it’s because over time I’ve become flat footed, or maybe I was all along im not sure. I’ve been doin research on it and it’s something to do with my tabialis anterior (googled the area where I felt the pain). They said it can be from running on bad shoes, which my shoes are about 5 years old now. I got them on my first deployment to Japan haha. So new shoes, and shoes that can help with my flat foot will help. As well as stretching and icing it and other things. I’m just using VA to go to school right now to pay for housing. Besides that I’m just getting ready for my path ahead. My old lady works so she helps cover what I can’t. So I’m not sure if I can go get checked out for it, I’m sure that takes money or something haha

Yes I’ve been doin 20 seconds goin at 85% max speed and 30 seconds jog and I repeat that for 10x. Then other days I just run 2-3 miles for time. Well I think it’s because over time I’ve become flat footed, or maybe I was all along im not sure. I’ve been doin research on it and it’s something to do with my tabialis anterior (googled the area where I felt the pain). They said it can be from running on bad shoes, which my shoes are about 5 years old now. I got them on my first deployment to Japan haha. So new shoes, and shoes that can help with my flat foot will help. As well as stretching and icing it and other things. I’m just using VA to go to school right now to pay for housing. Besides that I’m just getting ready for my path ahead. My old lady works so she helps cover what I can’t. So I’m not sure if I can go get checked out for it, I’m sure that takes money or something haha
Oh and it’s not just bad shoes that can cause this but mainly because I’ve put too much load on my tendons too fast.

... if you've had the same running shoes for five years, you should absolutely get new ones. I suggest going to a store like Fleet Feet or whatever they're called and get your feet looked at to get a shoe that meets your needs. I recommend getting a minimalist shoe for running on softer surfaces, and a slightly sturdier model for when you do any trail running or running on concrete (to lessen the stress impact on your feet).

How many days a week do you run? If you run more than 10% more on following weeks, you should take time to build up.

Yea
... if you've had the same running shoes for five years, you should absolutely get new ones. I suggest going to a store like Fleet Feet or whatever they're called and get your feet looked at to get a shoe that meets your needs. I recommend getting a minimalist shoe for running on softer surfaces, and a slightly sturdier model for when you do any trail running or running on concrete (to lessen the stress impact on your feet).

How many days a week do you run? If you run more than 10% more on following weeks, you should take time to build up

How many days a week do you run? If you run more than 10% more on following weeks, you should take time to build up.
Dang it i didn’t mean to just type yea and post. Anyways, I am planning on going to one of those stores hear in the next week or so. Get squared away shoe wise. As far as how often I run, I pretty much just get up and go. Don’t really have a schedule. I’ll run 3 days in a row then take a day off cuz my foot starts to mess me up. Then I’ll pick it back up. Sometimes I’ll take 2 days off back to back then get back on it. So maybe I’d say I run 4 times a week, or 3x and a ruck for an hour or 2. Depending on how My ankle feels. For example today I did an hour and my ankle was on fire after that hour. Still feel it right now. I’ll take tomorrow off of it and just focus on calisthenics.

Dang it i didn’t mean to just type yea and post. Anyways,

Then slow down. Breathe. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and stop looking like a hypoeractive fanboi. Solutions don't come in 30 second increments. Make a post and then go...do whatever it is y'all do these days. Solutions to your problems won't happen in the next 30 seconds.

I'm not a Ranger, just an 11b but I used the 12 week RASP prep plan on their website and I went from a 15 minute 2 mile to a 12:30. You only run 2 to 3 days a week and it worked for me.

I'm not a Ranger, just an 11b but I used the 12 week RASP prep plan on their website and I went from a 15 minute 2 mile to a 12:30. You only run 2 to 3 days a week and it worked for me.
How wouldyou substitute the part of cardio where it says to bicycle, swim or elliptical? I got access to none of that

Aside from the event training, you ought to add in some foot and ankle specific work to strengthen the area, and look into buying a lacrosse ball and maybe a Tiger Tail to beat the shit out of during recovery days.

Back