.*** Any info on Navy DMT

Yes severely undermanned. I talked to a MDV buddy and he said they do not have an exclusive detailer but work with the HM detailers. As diving isn't a skill set everyone can do let alone to work/operate underwater is even harder. Unless you get bottom time there will not be the proficiency to be diving effectively as a DMT on a working basis. I was a civ DMT for a spell and I was a chamber maid.
I recommend that if you want to do HM work and dive then I would go to HM A school then BUD/S. Last I heard although you are a SO by rate you can do HM first and follow the somewhat fluid career path of a SEAL HM. Being a SEAL qualified HM will guareentee you operating and getting the best medical training in the DOD inventory. Also look at PJ. Best of both worlds for HM/DMTs.

Not interested in being a quote on quote HM to be honest, for me it was the 2nd best thing to being a Diver since I can be stationed at Dive Commands, hence I was initially under the impression that DMT's are full time divers who operate the chamber when needed... apparently that's the farthest thing from the truth. I sense being at a Dive Command, I'd likely be a 0000 HM who operates the Chamber and dives strictly for quals and possibly while on deployments. Much more action at a EOD or SDV command as a DMT but I want nothing to do with SO, I got contracts for ND and SO but wait time is 7 months min and I just waited a year to get a waiver approved, I'm ready to ship!! DMT would at least give me insight on ND daily ops...I know time flys once you get in, DMT is 3yrs obliserve, before I know it I'll be eligible to submit a dive packet.

Well you are well informed and motivated. It's worth the wait to get what pipeline you want than get in and get stuck in a place you may regret. Waiting will make you stronger mentally, physically and professionally. I miss it all everyday. I would do it all again.

Hey just trying to get more info on DMTs. I know there's already a DMT thread but it's been inactive for awhile so hope it's ok i start a new one. Plan on submitting my package in the next 6-12 months. Have a pretty good understanding of what the job is from research and taking to people. I'm curious as to the type of deployments a DMT can go on. I know this can vary a lot based on the command but I plan on staying in and want to see a variety of commands. Any insight on this from what you guys have seen or any other info about DMTs you feel like sharing would be appreciated.

@Docmoose post a link to the thread you found please.

In my community (SEAL as well) they can attach to us for a few years and run sick call for us. During training evolutions they are helpful in assessing diving incidents, but they will usually sit in the office and the SEAL/SWCC medics take care of it in the field and bring the patients to them.

In SEAL/SWCC training they bring a Corpsman out with us to every training evolution and don’t use SEAL/SWCC medics, but they just stand around and wait for something to happen.

That is only my direct association with them within Navy Special Warfare. I’m sure there are many opportunities available to them, but within NSW it is purely support.

DMTs are almost always 'in support of', not 'participating in.' Things change, though; I never say 'always' and 'never.' @Scubadew , et al., can elaborate. Unlike swimmers who can go through a dive medicine class, DMTs are for-real Diver second class (or better) with all the medical and chamber training.

Last I heard although you are a SO by rate you can do HM first and follow the somewhat fluid career path of a SEAL HM.

Sorry to say, this is false. You MAY be lucky enough to crossover to SO from HM but it is incredibly difficult.

If you want to be a SEAL medic, regardless if you were a Corpsman prior to BUD/S or not, SEAL and SWCC have to go to Special Operations Tactical Medic(SOTM)
or the Army’s Special Operations Combat Medic(SOCM) School

What is it you want to know? DMTs get attached to conventional and non-conventional units and their day-to-day changes depending on where they’re at. They are no-shit divers like @Devildoc said so different units (EOD, mobile dive/salvage) might be the best in terms of bottom time. If you’re set on SOCOM I can tell you I haven’t seen ours outside their locker.

What is it you want to know? DMTs get attached to conventional and non-conventional units and their day-to-day changes depending on where they’re at. They are no-shit divers like @Devildoc said so different units (EOD, mobile dive/salvage) might be the best in terms of bottom time. If you’re set on SOCOM I can tell you I haven’t seen ours outside their locker.
I understand basic duties will stay the same regardless of unit so just trying to get a feel of how the diffident units will utilize a DMT. So even if being primarily a support role like with NSW/SOCOM what other opportunities may be available for extra schools/ training that I could strive for.

And please you guys can be brutally honest I want this job either way. Love being a doc and love breathing underwater so trying to combine the two

Look into Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman (SARC). I could be wrong but I think they at least have the option to go to dive School.

If you are set on the Navy you could go SEAL and then go to Special Operations Tactical Medic(SOTM) or Special Operations Combat Medic(SOCM).

Otherwise you can go Army Special Forces and go 18D(Medical Sergeant) and then go to the Combat Diver School.

Or you can go Air Force ParaRescue that has everything tied into the pipeline itself.