Any serious Pool players on here?

I'm not taking it as "knocking my game" at all, I actually really appreciate it. I've never been taught, just spent hours upon hours and over time gotten better. Like I said earlier, I've never been on anything close to your level, and the last guy that I played who said he was "Pro" he never actually let me shoot a ball against him as he just kept breaking and running it off (obviously made a long lasting point).

I want to get better, and right now is probably the best time for me to learn what right is. So don't hold back at all, I appreciate you taking the time.

OK, here comes my version of the books... Remember you asked for it :D

Practice and playing are two different things. If you're playing a game against another player, it doesn't count as practice. I'll give you the drills to do and you report back when you've accomplished the task. I'll keep building on them as we go. Let's start with stroke. Normally I'd start with stance, but it's tough to do over the internet. I'll just describe a good stance for you and then give you a practice drill. Once you get 99 critical shots, Ray does a good job of explaining the stance and has pictures. The stance will be awkward at first, expecially if you have any bad habits that need fixing.

Stance: Feet shoulder width apart, dominant foot (the foot on the same side as the hand at the butt of the cue) back so your feet are at about a 45 degree angle and you're comfortably balanced without effort. Your non-dominant foot should be pointing at the target. You should be bent at the waist with your back straight and the eye on the same side as your dominant hand 2-3" above the cue. The closer to the cue the better. Your dominant hand should be on the wrap of the cue. Your other hand, the bridge hand, should be in a bridge, preferably a closed bridge (your finger over the top of the cue and touching the first knuckle of your middle finger). Your bridge hand should have the entire heel of your palm touching the table for stability. your dominant arm should have the back of the arm parallel to the ground. The forearm should be hanging with no effort. The hand should be gripping the wrap very loosely, almost loose enough for the cue to slide. The back of the hand, the wrist and your forearm should form a straight line (don't bend the wrist). When you are taking warm up strokes and for the shot, the only muscles that engage are the triceps. Everything else should be relaxed and unused. The cue should be parallel to the floor. Even when you are forced to raise or lower the butt, it will still be within 5 degrees of parallel. When you are taking warm up strokes, they should be EXACTLY the same as you plan to stroke the shot, but not touch the cue ball. Same speed, same muscles, same everything. When you shoot the only difference should be that you follow through in a straight line. Do not raise the cue, don't stand up, just follow through and stay there until either the shot is over or you're forced to move to keep from making an illegal contact with a ball. Every shot you take, with very few exceptions, will be exactly the same with only the speed varying. Pool is about consistency. The more variables you can remove, the more consistent you will be.

Whenever you are getting ready to shoot, have a pre-gameday routine of checking the shaft of the cue for dings, tackiness and such, check the tip to make sure it doesn't have flat spots. Make sure the tip hasn't mushroomed out. Fix any of these issues you find. For tackiness on the shaft, use a green pad to smooth it, do NOT use that white chalk on it, it will make things worse in the long run. Make sure you have Master chalk with you. Don't use any other brand, it makes a difference. Also, only use the blue chalk. The color actually matters. You won't believe me on this until you take your finger and rub it into a couple of pieces of chalk and feel the difference.

When you get to where you are going to shoot, check the table for level. You can do this pretty easy by holding a ball about 3-4" above the rail (the point of the rail, not the wood) and dropping it. The rail will make the ball roll straight down the table and it should roll straight back up. Check it on all 6 rails (there are two end rails and four side rails). If it looks reasonably straight, then check for any debris on the table. The smallest piece of lint can change the shot. Brush it off if necessary. The cloth should be bright green and not have any holes in it. All those little white circular marks are caused by people shooting too hard.

Here's your first drill. Go to the drugstore or staples and get a package of those little round paper folder markers something like these: 13mm Round Circle Color Code Dot Stickers Sticky Adhesive Labels Red 15 Sheet | eBay We'll be using them a LOT.

Once you have those, you're ready to go. On the table, find the headstring (that's the "line" you put the cue behind in 8 ball). Find the center of it, be exact. You want the cue on the head spot, which is not usually marked. It's in the same place that the top ball of the rack goes on, just on the other end of the table. Put a round sticker that you bought on the head spot. Find the middle diamond on the foot rail (that's the short rail where you stand to rack). If you can't see it from your shooting position, use one of those round stickers to mark it under the rail, NOT on top of the rail, it will screw you up. There are a couple of parts to this drill. First, line the shot up but don't shoot it. Close your eyes and count to 5 slowly. Open them. You should still be pointed directly at the target. If not, stand all the way up, move your feet and get back down again. Whenever you adjust, you always stand all the way up and move your feet, never lean to adjust. Repeat this until you open your eyes and are still aimed at the right place. This is how it should look for every normal shot. Walk away from the table, come back and repeat until you get it right most of the time.

Next, hitting the cue ball in the center, shoot at the center diamond. The cue ball should bounce straight back and make contact with the tip of the cue. The speed should be just hard enough to get the cue back to the tip. Don't overpower it. BTW, did I mention that all of these drills will require a level table? Once you can do that 8 out of ten times in a row, you're ready for part three.

Next, same shot. But this time when you line it up, you'll close your eyes. Do a slow 5 count and then open them. See if you are still pointed at the same place just like you did in the first part. if not, adjust. repeat until it's right. Now that your alignment is right, close your eyes and shoot the shot, keep your eyes closed until the cue returns and hits the tip (or misses). Repeat this until you are hitting the tip 6 or 7 out of 10.

It'll take you several hours a day for several days to get this right. Don't burn out, if you get tired, take a break and either play a couple of games against someone, have a beer or just throw the balls out on the table and shoot them in. When you get your focus back, get back at it. This particular drill is THE foundation for everything else we'll be talking about. You need to get this one down or none of the others will improve your game. I know it seems really tedious, what we're doing is getting your stance right and then building muscle memory of a good stroke.

Don't forget to pick up your stickers at the end of practice... Let me know if you aren't hitting the tip and you're consistently off to one side or the other. Consistent misses mean there's something mechanically wrong.

Last edited:
So I spent a few hours on a big table tonight. Did what you told me @compforce and I was around every third stroke back on the tip, the rest were just slightly to the right, most catching the edge of the tip and down the right side of the cue. Another gentleman came up after watching me for about an hour and gave me a few pointers. Had me place a empty beer bottle on the table and practice my stroke into the bottle opening (not striking the sides of the opening. I did that for about 20 minutes and got bored and tried some draw drills. Shooting a row off balls into the corner pockets from the third diamond and drawing the cue ball back to behind the head string. I was trying aiming on the objective ball as well as a few time eyes closed. It's going to take some practice for sure as I was about 60% and I'm normally 100% on that drill. I'm chalking that up to changing my stroke and aiming point. Kinda of like shooting, try something different and shot group opens up until you get it ingrained.

I'll put in some more practice tomorrow evening and report back. I really appreciate the advice from both you and @Red Flag 1.

So I spent a few hours on a big table tonight. Did what you told me @compforce and I was around every third stroke back on the tip, the rest were just slightly to the right, most catching the edge of the tip and down the right side of the cue. Another gentleman came up after watching me for about an hour and gave me a few pointers. Had me place a empty beer bottle on the table and practice my stroke into the bottle opening (not striking the sides of the opening. I did that for about 20 minutes and got bored and tried some draw drills. Shooting a row off balls into the corner pockets from the third diamond and drawing the cue ball back to behind the head string. I was trying aiming on the objective ball as well as a few time eyes closed. It's going to take some practice for sure as I was about 60% and I'm normally 100% on that drill. I'm chalking that up to changing my stroke and aiming point. Kinda of like shooting, try something different and shot group opens up until you get it ingrained.

I'll put in some more practice tomorrow evening and report back. I really appreciate the advice from both you and @Red Flag 1.

To the right means that you are pulling your arm in towards your body on the stroke (or the table is leaning that way). Forget the bottle drill. It only works for a perfectly straight stroke. Half the pros I know would send the bottle over the edge of the table. We all have quirks in our strokes that we've adjusted for over the years. Focus on the drill at hand. You lost focus when the guy had you do the bottle thing and got bored and went to a drill that we'll do weeks from now. Be polite, but firm when you are practicing. A TON of people are going to try to give you advice. Most of that advice will give you bad habits that may seem to make you better at first, but will take a lot of work to get rid of down the road.

Don't listen to Cartman...

So I've been putting the time in, got a bit frustrated not getting the results I wanted. But after I picked up my McDermott's, things got a lot better. I'm 10/10 eyes open and about 7-8 out of 10 cue eye's closed. Had to make adjustments to my stance and where I was grabing the cue (basically figure out that natural point of aim). Definitely had to slow my stroke down and be alot softer.

So I've been putting the time in, got a bit frustrated not getting the results I wanted. But after I picked up my McDermott's, things got a lot better. I'm 10/10 eyes open and about 7-8 out of 10 cue eye's closed. Had to make adjustments to my stance and where I was grabing the cue (basically figure out that natural point of aim). Definitely had to slow my stroke down and be alot softer.

Fantastic! So that drill is now the very first thing you do every time you practice... No matter what other drills you are doing, that one comes first to make sure your stance is correct and fix any flaws. You'll be doing that one pretty much forever... Learn to love it :D Well done!

Here's the next one, referring to the following drawing

Drill 2.jpg

This is the first drill with english (spin). You'll be striking the cue ball one tip off-center. In other words, the center of the tip should strike the cue ball about one tip off center. They sell cue balls with this drawn out if you think you need one, but I'd say just eyeball it. You'll hit with a natural stroke, not too soft, not too hard. Here's what it means...

Start with the cue ball in the same place as the last drill. Same aimpoint as before. Both pure top and pure draw should do the same thing as the last drill, come straight back at you and hit the tip (green line). If you hit the draw shot too soft, it may swerve on you, you may need to hit that one a bit harder to get the right result.

The other lines are:
Top Right = Orange/brown line (diamond on your side of the side pocket)
Right = Purple/magenta line (side pocket, cue should fall in)
Bottom Right = Blue line (diamond on other side of the side pocket)

same thing for the other direction, top left = diamond on your side of the pocket, et. al.

Note that it hits the rail in front of the diamond, not straight into the diamond. Put one of those round stickers at each spot to make it easier to see if you did it right.

Again, we're looking for repeatable results. 8 hits out of 10 of each. BTW, that's a total of 48 shots out of 60 to move on... You WILL get frustrated at this one. When it happens, take a break... Finish this one and we may just put another ball on the table :D

Don't forget to start out with the first drill. If your stance or stroke develop bad habits, this drill is nearly impossible.

ETA: if you feel you must get a training cue ball, this is the one to get: Amazon.com : CueSight Precision Training Ball : Rugby Balls : Sports & Outdoors

PPS: I'd normally have you doing speed drills now to get the feel for the right speed, but you'll lose your mind trying to get it right, especially if every table has different conditions/speed. We'll deal with speed in the next drill instead.

Last edited:
OK, so it's been about a year and a half since I last picked up the cue (other than a memorial tournament I played, badly, last July). You got me interested again and I think I'm going to make another run at it. That means I'll be doing all of the same drills you will. For me, I always record my practice sessions so I can go back and see what I am doing and work to fix any flaws.

If you're interested, I made a youtube channel that I'll post videos to so you can see what I am doing and to use to show the drills and such. Here's a highlight reel from yesterday's practice... ignore the sound, I'm using new editing software and it keeps starting the music over at the beginning of each "scene".

That 1 ball around table to sink the 9 was awesome.

I haven't tried the new English drill's yet, been sorta busy, but I'm planning to go tonight and a few times this week. I'll report back with the results.

That 1 ball around table to sink the 9 was awesome.
The truth behind that shot is that it was extremely low percentage. The shot I played was to take the 1 off the 9 and leave it safe. (if you ignore the 9 and look at the leave, you'll see what I mean). The 9 just happened to fall in, which made it youtube worthy. Technically the backward cut on the 5 at 6:03 was much more difficult with the english needed to leave the 6.

I haven't tried the new English drill's yet, been sorta busy, but I'm planning to go tonight and a few times this week. I'll report back with the results.

The thing to remember with that drill is that everyone's english is a little different. The description I gave you is textbook. Real world, it'll be a different place for everyone. The key is consistency. I don't care if the cue actually hits the spot in front of the diamond every time, I'm more interested in the cue hitting the SAME spot every time. You'll adjust naturally to your own english. As an example, for most people, from the center of the corner pocket through the far middle diamond on the side rail with english away from the side you're aiming will go three rails in the corner. For me it's a full diamond closer because my spin is more extreme, but I can hit that shot better than 90% because my english is consistently extreme (and I practice that shot).

This is a great thread. I don't have the time I'd like to have to go through the practice drills. I believe that my game would be tighter than it has been. Thanks for the links, and the pointers @compforce .

So I've been practicing the English drills, its pretty consistent on bottom/center right. Top right is very inconsistent, I'm thinking its the speed or maybe the angle. On the left side I'm not getting any consistent results at all, actually its hitting the center diamond and going back toward the head string on the left side, some times catch the side cushion but sometimes catch the back cushion. I ordered that training cue ball today, but I have to admit I'm a bit stumped by this. I'm lining up, getting the strike point lined up,eyes focusing on the center diamond/dot, and mentally focusing on my stroke, but its not coming together at all. I've only done the drill twice now for a couple hours. Taking tonight off (taking the family out for dinner and live music), but I'll be after it again tomorrow.

So I've been practicing the English drills, its pretty consistent on bottom/center right. Top right is very inconsistent, I'm thinking its the speed or maybe the angle. On the left side I'm not getting any consistent results at all, actually its hitting the center diamond and going back toward the head string on the left side, some times catch the side cushion but sometimes catch the back cushion. I ordered that training cue ball today, but I have to admit I'm a bit stumped by this. I'm lining up, getting the strike point lined up,eyes focusing on the center diamond/dot, and mentally focusing on my stroke, but its not coming together at all. I've only done the drill twice now for a couple hours. Taking tonight off (taking the family out for dinner and live music), but I'll be after it again tomorrow.

That combination usually means that you are pushing the cue to the right by pulling your back hand into your body when you stroke. The only muscle that should be engaged when you stroke is your tricep. Everything else needs to hang loose. The only joint that moves on the stroke is the elbow. Sometimes I catch myself dropping the upper arm at the end of the stroke (that's why I take video). Both are flaws in the stroke that affect the english. Pretend your elbow is pinned in place and you can only swing the arm back and forth, nothing else below the elbow.

Getting a little bit more consistent on both sides with the use of the training ball. I played a few games last night with another guy, I have definitely seen a change in the way im controlling the cue ball on the table and the speed (how hard I'm shooting). It was nice to cut loose for a few game's.

Been watching your YouTube channel, really appreciate those videos, a gold mine of stuff I've never knew.

I'm glad you are enjoying it! That's kinda the whole point :P

Today I'm doing one on replacing the tip and then reviewing the new tips. You've probably noticed that I'm shooting pretty hard when I'm playing. That's because I still have the same Moori tip from 1999 on the cues and I have to hit hard to get the english. I'm putting new Kamui Black tips on. (http://smile.amazon.com/Kamui-Black...UTF8&qid=1461002103&sr=8-1&keywords=kamui+tip) I have a Medium and Soft so I can see the difference and which one I prefer.

I'm still working the English drill, its been easier with the training ball, I've also used those stickers on the cushion for consistency. I'm honestly still about 60% on the consistency of the drill. I'm not sure if I am burning out, but I am getting more and more frustrated with it, last night leaving the billiard room with a fuck this what the fuck am i doing attitude. lol I get silly sometimes when I'm trying to master something and its not going well. I'm taking a few days off and going to focus on some other things, trying give my mind a break from pool, well more specifically that drill...lol

I really just wanted you to know I'm still practicing and the lack of update has been due to my lack of progress with the last drill.

I'm still working the English drill, its been easier with the training ball, I've also used those stickers on the cushion for consistency. I'm honestly still about 60% on the consistency of the drill. I'm not sure if I am burning out, but I am getting more and more frustrated with it, last night leaving the billiard room with a fuck this what the fuck am i doing attitude. lol I get silly sometimes when I'm trying to master something and its not going well. I'm taking a few days off and going to focus on some other things, trying give my mind a break from pool, well more specifically that drill...lol

I really just wanted you to know I'm still practicing and the lack of update has been due to my lack of progress with the last drill.

It's easy to burn out with some of the repetitive drills. It's OK. I'll put together some speed drills to shoot and break up the monotony.

I'm about 80% on a consistent basis now, still not where I want to be. I spent about a week off and just shot games. Came back to the drills and the consistency improved. I guess I was a little too focused and needed to break away for awhile. Speed of the stroke really effects the transfer of English, far more than I had ever noticed before.

I'm following your YouTube videos a ton of great information. Really appreciate you taking the time to do those.

Back