Argentine navy loses contact with submarine

@PDL

Any thoughts on this story?
A lot of current and former submariners donated to the families. There were a few theories flying around my Facebook group but I won't post them because they are not confirmed.

As far as I know, the submarine has not been located.

In the Royal Navy, submariners are trained to escape from a sunk submarine by wearing a bouyant suit and exiting via an escape hatch. This has its depth limits though due to deep sea pressure. More here: Submarine escape training facility - Wikipedia

The Royal Navy maintains a DSRV which is small submarine designed to latch onto a sunk submarine and Evac personnel through a hatch. This requires a location though. I believe the US also has this capability, but I don't think anyone else does.

This service was offered during the sinking of the Kursk in 2000 but the Russians refused all assistance.

Last edited:
- update -

Argentina: Submarine found sunk year after disappearing

Argentina's navy announced early Saturday that searchers had found the missing submarine ARA San Juan deep in the Atlantic a year after it disappeared with 44 crewmen aboard.

The vessel was detected more than 2,600 feet deep in waters off the Valdes Peninsula in Argentine Patagonia, the statement said.

The navy said a "positive identification" had been made by a remote-operated submersible from the American ship Ocean Infinity, which was hired for the latest search for the missing vessel.

Argentina minister says country without means to rescue sub. Argentina minister says country without means to rescue sub

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Hours after announcing the discovery of an Argentine submarine lost deep in the Atlantic a year ago with 44 crew members aboard, the government said Saturday that it is unable to recover the vessel, drawing anger from missing sailors' relatives who demanded that it be raised.

Defense Minister Oscar Aguad said at a press conference that the country lacks "modern technology" capable of "verifying the seabed" to extract the ARA San Juan, which was found 907 meters (2,975 feet) deep in waters off the Valdes Peninsula in Argentine Patagonia, roughly 600 kilometers (373 miles) from the port city of Comodoro Rivadavia.

Do we still have that capability?
I think that is a good question. If I recall, Titanic is down around 12k feet and there was discussion of raising her but it was decided the ship was too fragile. It give me the impression that raising from 2k' is certainly doable.

We currently still maintain two Salvage ships with Sealift Command. Thankfully we haven't had to practice on ourselves too often since the 60s. Kursk operation was led by a Norwegian Company.

I think that is a good question. If I recall, Titanic is down around 12k feet and there was discussion of raising her but it was decided the ship was too fragile. It give me the impression that raising from 2k' is certainly doable.
I was just reading up on the Kursk recovery and it sounds like it was from 364ft and it cost the Russians 65million dollars. They contracted a Dutch maritime salvage company for part of it.

I imagine 2000ft makes the operation even more difficult. Probably just a question of dollars at the end of the day, though. I doubt Argentina has the funds.

Back