Army additional duty skills

reed11b

Paratrooper
Verified Military
So I promoted to a new company in the NG. My new company has requested I select a new additional duty school since my old duty (UPL) is covered. The choices provided were
CBRN defense course
EOLC
Master Driver
Field Sanitation
Bus Driver
Hazmat
SHARP
MRT
MFT
Any recommendations? I like things that will make me more deployable and/or are interesting. I would choose MFT but I am 43 and overweight. Leaning towards CBRN(interesting?) or MRT (mental health background) but neither are very exciting. Should I ask about Physical Security or Load Planning? Thanks,
Reed11b

I'm with @Polar Bear on this; an additional duty that translate to the civilian world (especially since you're in the NG), is a better choice than the "cool school I'll probably never do in real life".
What's your civilian career?

If public safety, firefighter, etc, CBRN/HAZMAT would be good.

If more "white collar office", EOLC/SHARP.

If you're in mental health care, MRT might be beneficial.

CBRN or HAZMAT, although Firefighters usually handle HAZMAT. You're a soldier and a LEO. CBRN is possible in terrorist attacks stateside and on the battlefield.

The hell with Bus Driver.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MRT is a pretty cool course. A lot of companies are taking Mental/Psych stuff seriously these days. But Bus Driver and Master Driver are kind of worthless unless you go work for a school district as a bus driver.

I am currently a VA Police officer, so employment is not really a concern. Looking at getting certified in Cyber Security for when my body says "NO" to police work.
Having a solid skill that is low physical impact. Would probably be the best route. My body said NO to me back in 2015, it happens.

Got my bus license when I was in. Kinda cool cuz in Germany we were driving Mercedes buses with manual transmissions on VERY narrow streets. But the best part was I ended up driving for every range trip. More shoot time for me! :thumbsup:

LL

As a former NBC Defense NCO, at the ripe young age of 19 and at my first duty station (they sent all of us boots through this course because the "senior lances" knew it was physically difficult), I would choose. CBRN. The schooling sucks ass because you are basically in MOPP gear the entire time, but you then hold great power as should you come under a WMD attack, you won't be the unlucky one to unmask first.

Many of those are highly transferrable skills in the outside world. I’d pick one that would be useful later.

Back