Army Special Forces welcomes Fayetteville-native as new commander

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2010/July/100721-01.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, July 21, 2010) – Soldiers from all seven Special Forces groups looked on from their formations like living statues as the Regiment welcomed a familiar face during the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) change of command ceremony on Meadows Field, July 21.

Out-going commander Maj. Gen. Michael S. Repass paid an emotional farewell to the Soldiers he has lead for the last two years as he passed command of the regiment to Fayetteville-native Brig. Gen. Edward M. Reeder Jr. during the ceremony. Lt. Gen. John F. Mulholland Jr., commanding general of U.S. Army Special Operations Command, served as the reviewing officer for the event.

“It’s a wonderful, but bittersweet moment, as we say farewell to an extraordinary command team and then welcome another one,” Mulholland said. “[Repass] has provided extraordinary leadership defined by absolute commitment and passion, and the willingness to take on the toughest challenges. We cannot thank you enough for the great work you have done. As well as it has been done in the past, no one has done it better.”

Although the majority of his Special Forces career has been served with units not located at Fort Bragg, including 1st, 5th and 10th Special Forces Groups (Airborne), Repass said he has always felt at home here.

“It was great to return here because I was treated like one of your own,” he said.

Reflecting back on his tenure as the commander of all Army Green Berets, Repass had parting words of respect and admiration for those "Quiet Professionals" he led.

“Your success daily in places both famous and obscure continually amazes all of us who know what you are up to,” he said. “Your nation has relied on you heavily in times of peril, and you’ve delivered results time and time again.”

Repass is slated to take command at U.S. Special Operations Command Europe in Stuttgart, Germany.

Mulholland spoke with high regard for his old friend Reeder, who comes to USASFC(A) after serving as the commander of the Combined Forces Special Operations Component Command-Afghanistan.

“To Ed and Adrian, welcome home,” Mulholland said. “A local boy done good. I’ve had the pleasure of serving alongside and knowing Ed for many years, and I will tell you without hesitation, there’s not a better man for this job than Ed Reeder. There’s no one better or more experienced to help continue to shape this great regiment."

Closing the ceremony, Reeder remarked of how honored he is to be given the opportunity to command.

“As a member of this honored regiment… as a son of this great city, it’s also great to be home,” he said. “I’d like to thank General Mulholland for the opportunity to serve this great regiment once again. I was present at the ceremony casing the colors of 1st SOCOM and activating the U.S. Army Special Forces Command as a young captain, and I would have never in my wildest imagination thought I would be standing here one day receiving the colors of this magnificent command.”

Back