ARSOAC senior enlisted Soldier assumes command responsibility

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2011/September/110908-03.html

xc8ayu.jpg
FORT BRAGG, N.C. – Command Sgt. Maj. David Leamon assumes responsibility of the U.S. Army Special Operations Aviation Command at Meadows Field, Sept. 01. Leamon is the first command sergeant major of the command which was provisionally activated in March 2011. (Photo by Mark Tate, USASOC Public Affairs)

FORT BRAGG, N.C.(USASOC News Service Sept. 8, 2011) The U.S. Army Special Operations Aviation Command held an Assumption of Responsibility Ceremony Sept. 1, at Meadows Field where Command Sgt. Maj. David Leamon took over responsibilities.
Leamon is the first command sergeant major to serve in the command which was provisionally activated in March 2011. Brig. Gen. Kevin Mangum, ARSOAC commanding general, presided over the ceremony.
Leamon previously served as the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) command sergeant major, and served twice as a battalion command sergeant major five years prior.
"I am honored and humbled to be able to serve in this community, with and for the finest our nation has to offer," Leamon said.
He added, "Brig. Gen. Mangum has charged me to ensure all of the command's are properly resourced, manned and trained to support their warfighter requirements. I intend to do just that."
The Army Special Operations Aviation Command organizes, mans, trains, resources and equips ARSOA units to provide responsive, special operations aviation support to Special Operations Forces and is the USASOC Aviation staff proponent.
ARSOAC is comprised of the Headquarters and four subordinate units: 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), headquartered at Fort Campbell, Ky.; U.S. Army Special Operations Command Flight Detachment, Fort Bragg; Systems Integration Management Office, Fort Campbell; and Special Operations Aviation Training Battalion, Fort Campbell.
The Army SOF Aviation is a complex enterprise that continues to grow in size, scope and expense. Under this new structure, ARSOAC is a non-deployable, resourcing headquarters charged with:
Providing command and control, manning and visibility for the complex and sensitive tasks required of Army SOF aviation units and organizations.
Enhancing the 160th SOAR (A) war-fighting role of providing rotary-wing aircraft to support SOF missions in all geographic combatant commands.
Providing aviation oversight as well as service and component interface to ensure system integration, fleet modernization, material readiness, training, and doctrine development.
Facilitating greater integration between its headquarters at USASOC and U.S. Special Operations Command, and improve connectivity with Army staff as well as aviation staffs of sister services.

Interesting..... What circumstances would place an enlisted solider in command of a unit like this?

I would imagine the need for a Sergeant Major just like any other unit that rates one. But maybe somebody with better knowledge could chime in.

CSM is the senior enlisted advisor to the commander, he is not in command of the unit.

I knew that.... I guess I read the article wrong. I read it as CSM Leamon taking charge of the entire command. My mistake. :thumbsdown: Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I knew that.... I guess I read the article wrong. I read it as CSM Leamon taking charge of the entire command. My mistake. :thumbsdown: Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

Just some tid-bit’s, any senior NCO (E7-E9) can be made a “commander” of small detachments, it’s not uncommon practice, but normally done when the unit is very small. Normally they will just use the title of NCOIC or commandant, even though they are in fact the commander. Although the only NCO I have ever heard refer to herself as a “commander” was a career recruiter turned recruiting station NCOIC.:rolleyes: Most NCO Academies have a CSM commandant.

Back