Aspergers

I got PDQd for kidney stones. was pre GWOT. If I could do it again I wouldn't tell anything. Met way too many SOF guys that had things and didn't tell. All of high integrity.

My ex (some here know him) served as both an 18D and a PJ. He was diagnosed with Aspergers as an adult (towards the end of his career) and had also suffered abuse as a child. Both contributed greatly to the severe mental health issues he faced when coupled with what he dealt with as SOF. There are many variables at play, but proceed with caution.

You seem to be the most well functioning guy with Asbergers out there. I've had two guys - one who worked for me, and another who was a colleague - and you could spot them both a mile away. The first one had very awkward social habits and smelled really bad. It was such an issue that all the other Marines would haze him for it because they thought he wouldn't take showers everyday (he did). He was also incredibly smart. He could run circles around me with Radar theory, but he overthought things too much. Great guy - the Marine Corps just didn't take him in well. After he got out I heard that he committed suicide.

The other was a Corporal who was also not well liked by the other Marines. They treated him pretty poorly.

Certainly go for it and I think you can do well - just be aware what you may be getting yourself into.

You seem to be the most well functioning guy with Asbergers out there. I've had two guys - one who worked for me, and another who was a colleague - and you could spot them both a mile away. The first one had very awkward social habits and smelled really bad. It was such an issue that all the other Marines would haze him for it because they thought he wouldn't take showers everyday (he did). He was also incredibly smart. He could run circles around me with Radar theory, but he overthought things too much. Great guy - the Marine Corps just didn't take him in well. After he got out I heard that he committed suicide.

The other was a Corporal who was also not well liked by the other Marines. They treated him pretty poorly.

Certainly go for it and I think you can do well - just be aware what you may be getting yourself into.

Those stories suck to the highest degree.

As to your advice, I agree...go for it with your eyes wide open and don't let clown persuade you otherwise.

Yea, sorry, I'm not meaning to discourage you or anyone with Asbergers who wants to try this. I just wanted to make sure I could offer a more realistic picture of what MIGHT happen.

Like I said. You sound much more determined and much more aware than the Marines I mentioned in my post. I think you can do anything with your attitude. Besides, this was back in 2007 and 2008 so things might have changed a lot since then.

Sorry for the late reply. Stuff changed and I am going 11b in the National Guard. Inwill pursue SOF from there however.
Having been both Active and Guard Infantry, I would honestly recommend another MOS. Not to dissuade you, but Guard Infantry was probably the worst decision I've ever made in my life. The people are terrible, the training is lacking, and it isnt rewarding. You could find another job like Intel that would probably better fit you. Guard Infantry wouldn't be something I consider a leg up before going SOF.

Having been both Active and Guard Infantry, I would honestly recommend another MOS. Not to dissuade you, but Guard Infantry was probably the worst decision I've ever made in my life. The people are terrible, the training is lacking, and it isnt rewarding. You could find another job like Intel that would probably better fit you. Guard Infantry wouldn't be something I consider a leg up before going SOF.

would active infantry be better? Then after a few months at unit, apply for 75th or 18X? I am in pretty good shape now, but don't think I am in RASP or SFAS shape yet. Probably in a few months. On a mock APFT I did myself with help, I scored a 270, so decent but not where I want yet.

I know a person in my former career field who has Aspergers. He is a very high functioning individual, and most people wouldn’t know he’s on the spectrum. If you’re not observant or ignorant of the signs, you’d think he was a just little “off” if you know what I mean.

I personally believe he’s a more capable solider than a lot I’ve come across in active duty, the reserves, and now the guard. That being said, he was a reservist in a field that isn’t what you’re attempting to go into. I won’t tell you what to do, or what I would do in your situation. That said however, I’ve seen someone in the military, contributing to the fight, with Aspergers. Do what you will.

would active infantry be better? Then after a few months at unit, apply for 75th or 18X? I am in pretty good shape now, but don't think I am in RASP or SFAS shape yet. Probably in a few months. On a mock APFT I did myself with help, I scored a 270, so decent but not where I want yet.

Why go Guard? Why not go Active 11b and kill it? It's a stepping stone to advanced schools. Some get Option 40 in OSUT.

Rangers Strengthen Ties with OSUT - ShadowSpear Special Operations

Back