At some point the Army is going to run out of beret colors

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
The Army Is Thinking About Giving SOF PSYOP Soldiers a Distinctive New Beret

“In a move to more closely link Army Special Operations Forces, the PSYOP Proponent at the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School is exploring the idea of a distinctive uniform item, like a grey beret, to those Soldiers who graduate the Psychological Operations Qualification Course," Bymer said in a statement.

Soldiers with Army Special Forces currently wear green berets, while Rangers wear tan, paratroopers are in maroon, and the rest of the force rock black.

And there is a brown one too?

Berets of the United States Army - Wikipedia

I’m going to say something a little controversial, but I’ve always believed that only the Green Berets and the 75th should be authorized to wear that particular headgear. But to add on to what @Vagabond said above:
As with anything, once something is "mass duplicated" -- it loses its significance.
What fun is it to be Special, if you cannot show everyone you are “Special”.

naw pass, as a former PSYOP guy, just keep it Maroon.

I think they are trying to distance themselves from the 82nd as their selection process has evolved.

I’m going to say something a little controversial, but I’ve always believed that only the Green Berets and the 75th should be authorized to wear that particular headgear.

Disagree, Maroon is the international beret for Airborne Troops, I do have issue with non-Paratroopers wearing maroon.

I think they are trying to distance themselves from the 82nd as their selection process has evolved.

Disagree, Maroon is the international beret for Airborne Troops, I do have issue with non-Paratroopers wearing maroon.

Yepper

Actually maroon is the beret color adopted since WWII for infantry and support MOSs assigned to airborne organizations/units. It's more a traditional designation acceptance by militaries than an International imposed decree that maroon is the color for being airborne. Typically it is primary colors (red, blue and yellow) and secondary colors ( orange, green and purple/violet) that set the primary symbolism associations (element, mythology, power of nature) other hues/shaded inherit.

Awareness of two perspectives of designated beret color is needed, reference AR 870–5.

(1) A traditional designation—one used by an organization continuously for the last 30 years or more.

(2) A distinctive designation—one used by an organization for less than 30 years or one with which an organization wishes to be associated.

Some historical info:

Red and hues and shades of red symbolize blood of life, boldness, Christ, courage, hardiness, liberty, magnanimity, passion, patriotism, planet Mars, sentiment, strength, valor, warmth (of fire), and zeal. Negative: anarchy, blood (spilled), danger, death throes, Satan, fire (burning), passions, revolution, war, and wounds.

The first instance of a colored beret in the U.S. Army was in 1943, Army Historical Foundation chief historian Matt Seelinger told Army Times.

The commander of the British 1st Airborne Corps gifted the paratroopers of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion — now a regiment, the unit is now part of 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division — the deep red berets worn by British airborne soldiers. “It was a relatively small part of the American airborne contingent,” Seelinger said, and they stopped wearing them after the war.

June 1942: United States’ 1st Army Ranger Battalion activated in Northern Ireland under Maj. William O. Darby. Six Ranger battalions were formed for war service. Soldiers who completed the rigorous British training won the right to wear the British Commando green beret. wear was also discontinued until U.S. Army formed its first Special Forces organizations during 1952. It did not become the official headgear worn by Army Special Forces until 1961. It didn't get connected to an MOS until the Special Forces Branch and 18 series MOS were established in the 1980s.

What do Marines get? Nothing. No bling, no trinkets. Nothing on their uniform they haven't earned. No division patches, no regimental patches, no berets, no tabs, scrolls. If a Marine goes through the Ranger course, he can't wear the tab. If he goes through the Jungle Warfare course (as I did) he gets no Jungle Expert patch. Marine infantry train in air assault. We get no Air Assault badge. If there was a badge for amphibious assault...we wouldn't get one.

Last edited:
What do Marines get? Nothing. No bling, no trinkets. Nothing on their uniform they haven't earned. No division patches, no regimental patches, no berets, no tabs, scrolls. If a Marine goes through the Ranger course, he can't wear the tab. If he goes through the Jungle Warfare course (as I did) he gets no Jungle Expert patch. Marine infantry train in air assault. We get no Air Assault badge. If there was a badge for amphibious assault...we wouldn't get one.
A condom stretched over their head. We don’t want them to reproduce

64 Box of crayolas?

Rifle Green Royal Australian Regiment.
Sherwood Green, 1 and 2 Commando.
Fawn (Sandy), SASR.
Dull Cherry (Maroon), Only the dudes at the Parachute Training School now.
Light blue, Aviation.
Scarlet (Red), MPs.
Black, Armoured and Light Horse.
Slate grey, Nurses (never ever seen it worn).
Dark blue (Dark Navy), Everyone else.

Similar to the Brits, although they have a few variations.

I may take a beating, but whatevs.

As @digrar posted above, other militaries hae a veritable rainbow of beret colors. The US has only had three since the end of WWII for whatever reason(s) and those were SOF-related.

My hot take: Give PSYOP and CA the same beret color (They should also have a universal assessment and selection program, but so should SOF enablers and I'll shut up now). They are SOF-affiliated (that's the short version) and support both SOF and conventional units. Give them the same beret and move on. It isn't worth all of the heartburn and there are far larger problems to solve.

ETA: The SOF aspect to berets in the US sailed with Shinsecki. We need to get over it and move on. Sometimes "back in my day..." is a dumb argument.

More accurate and correct is the US ARMY has only had three tradition connected berets since the end of WWII for whatever reason(s) and those were SOF-related. The Air Force has bit different since WWII beret wear and approval history.

So what is the three US military SOF related, US Army Special Forces, 75th Ranger Regiment and/or previously existing Ranger units, and ?. I'm presuming the ? is Army and not Air Force, Navy, USMC, or Coast Guard. Just wondering if the ? is Army airborne units or something else.

Shinseki retired in 2003. The black beret should have left the Army with him. If given a choice, most units would opt out of the black beret, because it is an expensive, useless, high-maintenance, dumb-looking-on-people-who-don't-know-how-to-wear-it piece of crap.

I don't know what maroon isn't good enough for PSYOP, but if the Army goes down this road, every ARSOF organization is going to want their own headgear. If we're going to do this, I vote to take away black from Big Army (most of whom would LOVE that) and give it to all of ARSOF that doesn't already have their own berets, including support types who go through a selection and assessment course and are in units that don't all wear the same color headgear (e.g. SF Groups).

Back