ATR 72 Crash Brazil

What would cause something like that to happen? It looks like the plane just decided to stop it's forward motion and start falling.

What would cause something like that to happen? It looks like the plane just decided to stop it's forward motion and start falling.

A couple of ways off the top of my head. I think @TLDR20 and @Blizzard are private pilots, so they'll know more than I. Something causing the aircraft to lose speed and stall, center of gravity too far aft, icing adding weight and degrading lift generated by the wings.

Somebody shared this link to flight aware on Reddit.

Track log de voos ✈ PTB2283 9 de Ago de 2024 (CAC / SBCA-GRU / SBGR) - FlightAware

No idea how accurate the data is, but comment said they went into a spin a 17k feet and held it to the ground.

Blancolirio (A former Air Force and current American Airlines pilot) has a great breakdown of the crash and video (as he always does for aircraft accidents). As mentioned earlier, a spin in a T-tail a/c is basically a guaranteed crash. He's leaning towards icing as a probable cause.

A couple of ways off the top of my head. I think @TLDR20 and @Blizzard are private pilots, so they'll know more than I. Something causing the aircraft to lose speed and stall, center of gravity too far aft, icing adding weight and degrading lift generated by the wings.

Blancolirio (A former Air Force and current American Airlines pilot) has a great breakdown of the crash and video (as he always does for aircraft accidents). As mentioned earlier, a spin in a T-tail a/c is basically a guaranteed crash. He's leaning towards icing as a probable cause.

I am just a normal PP, but a stall in an airliner could be multiple things, but icing seems most likely. Or some type of pitot tube error.

To fall like that from 17k feet, just one of the most terrifying ways to die.

I am just a normal PP, but a stall in an airliner could be multiple things, but icing seems most likely. Or some type of pitot tube error.

To fall like that from 17k feet, just one of the most terrifying ways to die.
Totally. :-o

Back