Attention Commo Experts

SWAT
Verified Military
I got the Antenna Adaptor relocation kit from Safariland. Don’t buy one, make one. I’m in the process of attempting to make one for my sniper partner, but I have no idea what those two adapters are. I have to have those specific adaptors to make it work. If you don’t have them, you have to unscrew the radio from the antenna cable, it’s annoying. The radio we use is a Kenwood VHF TK-5210. I have exhausted my knowledge of comms, which wasn’t much to begin with....

Attachments

• 28046FED-5E93-461F-B0E6-411D04533E32.jpeg
    28046FED-5E93-461F-B0E6-411D04533E32.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • C272F3CF-610A-4296-AA7D-E1554EFCA40C.jpeg
    C272F3CF-610A-4296-AA7D-E1554EFCA40C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
SMA to BNC, make sure you have the right gender to gender.

I always hated running adapters. One more piece to break, get dirty, buy and keep spares, etc. You do what you have to, but your risk of failure increases. Puts a few good wraps of electrical tape over the adapters to help minimize the amount of crud they can collect. Shrink wrap is better, but not practical in this instance.

SMA to BNC, make sure you have the right gender to gender.

I always hated running adapters. One more piece to break, get dirty, buy and keep spares, etc. You do what you have to, but your risk of failure increases. Puts a few good wraps of electrical tape over the adapters to help minimize the amount of crud they can collect. Shrink wrap is better, but not practical in this instance.

Thank you, I found it on Amazon for about 5 bucks. I ordered two, looks like it comes with both sets of gender adaptors.

Adaptors are to be avoided. Point of failure, reduced signal output, just two issues out the gate. You are already only using max 5 watts of power, degrading that is not to your benefit.

There are SMA cable ends with spinning portions that would let you wrench it off the radio easily.

Otherwise, use the adaptor. You could actually just custom cut coax to length for the center of the frequency range you use, thread it through your kits PALS webbing, and subsequently have a long enough tail to be able to take the radio off easily. I fabricated antennas like that for my entire platoons comms. You could even go a step further and build your own 5/8ths wave jungle whips using tape measures, heatshrink tubing, coax and a soldering iron, then make those little portables sing.

Thanks man. I think I know what you’re getting at. We made something like that for the MBiTRs. Just a long coax ran through the Molly on our kit. That was kind of my original idea, then I found the relocation kit and like an idiot I paid for it. When I got it, I knew I could just easily make them.

Back