ATTN: actual 160th flight medics

F

frontman86

I've been considering joining back up as a flight medic. I already ready the article that ravage posted a while back. I still had a couple questions since things change all the time in the Army...

• whats the time frame and the steps from basic to 160th flight medic?
  • can you get guaranteed to at least be in 160th in your enlistment contract?
  • with all the medical training; will you be able to come out of the military with a paramedic liscense?

9 months to a year.
talk to recruiter.
no NREMT-P, only SOF ATP (advanced tactical practitioner) Paramedic equivalent, but that and $3 will get you a beer at happy hour.

RE: the paramedics license These are issued and controlled state by state (just like my nursing license). Check out the "dot gov" site for the particular state you have in mind and put paramedic license into their search engine to get the license scoop. Once you get out, it may be a matter of simply paying a fee and sitting an exam.

FM86:

I am not a 160th Medic nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, however I did attend the SOCM course. With that, you will be a NREMT-B and an ATP (Advanced Tactical Practicioner) but the latter means jack crap in the civilian world. At one time SOCM students took the NREMT-P test but someone decided that wasnt a good idea any more. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the National Registry as well as someone at Ft Sam (I have no clue whats going on) Houston and they still dont have it ironed out.

Nonetheless, the short answer is no you wont.

HA: See PM

Crip

NREMT - Don't touch it! It's pure evil!

I know part of the background for the move away from the NREMT. There was a lot of issue with the current op tempo and the inability of many of the medics to obtain the required CEUs. The Registry would not budge on the requirements and in-fact made it even harder for the SOCMs to maintain the cert. This was also coupled with the fact that the expanded scope and skill set of the SOF medic was not recognized by the Registry as well. The Registry in the past has refused to recognize or adapt the requirements for the SOF medic - Bottom line is that they don't want to play

As a result, USSOCOM went to the DOT and asked if there was a reason why they could not stand-up their own certification. There wasn't, so in-effect USSOCOM became their own state. Considering that this has been executed in less than 5 years is pretty amazing. No, the ATP isn't recognized by any civilian or govermental organizations, but there is interest there. I spoke with an ATF medic who said they have been looking for some sort of formal TEMS certification for quite some time.

I am not saying that the ATP is the panacea for the SOF medical certification, but it is a hell of a start. The SOC-SG is doing a survey to gather data on knowledge, skills, the test and TMEPs to see what the SOF medics think.

Hope this at least clears some of the muddy water

Back