Attrition Rate

Lynaugh

Unverified
From what I have been reading the attrition rate for SWCC training is about the same as BUD/S training. I was just wondering at what point do most of the candidates drop out of SWCC training?

I have no experience with NSW. Here is my 2 cents with attrition rates:

If you train hard enough, and work hard enough, you'll be on the right side of the statistics. My selection class selected 46%, which was the statistical average over the course of a couple years. The class prior to mine selected nearly 65%. The class after mine selected 20%. You never know how it's going to turn out.

That being said, my mindset has been that you're not competing against everyone else. You're competing against yourself. Do the best that you can, follow the rules, and the attrition rate (and your success) with take care of itself.

I don't know. It might not be. I was reading something online though that an SWCC Class started with 80 Candidates and only graduated with 17. Class 64 to be specific.

It's possible that SWCC attracts different candidates than BUD/s does.

I don't mean to offend but.. why go to SWCC when you can go SEALs unless your seeking out an "easier" lifestyle than that of the SEAL Teams.

Let's see....we have a couple of former SWCC guys around, they may be able to chime in here. We also have one member who should be at Basic right now and then entering the SWCC pipeline (he has a long way to go obviously). Maybe one day he'll be able to provide some feedback from the "Pass" side of the statistical column.

In general, worrying about Pass/ Fail rates is setting yourself up for failure. If you're thinking about who will fail, what do you do if you fail....I just don't see how that will sustain you during those long, solitary movements with a ruck or in cold water. The loudest sounds I've ever heard were my own footfalls on gravel.....

What Viper1 said.... x100

Don't worry about Attrition rates, worry about prepping to do better than your best at all times. Why do you care how many other people fail, all you are doing is setting yourself up for failure that way. turn your research around - What's the friggin pass rate?

...And why do you care when people quit/fail in the course? - make them carry you out on a stretcher, in a crackerbox or rolled into a poncho ...

I don't mean to offend but.. why go to SWCC when you can go SEALs unless your seeking out an "easier" lifestyle than that of the SEAL Teams.
Or just want to drive boats.
They do a lot of cool shit, minus the SCUBA Diving. I'd recomend SWCC to my son if he said he wanted to join the Navy.

I was just curious as to when most drop because I know most SEALs candidates drop because of mental aspects during Hell Week. Thanks for the replies everyone. You are all right. I shouldn't be worrying about the fail rate. As long as I work as hard as I can to get myself in top physical shape I'll be good to go. I just finished my 2nd year of college and I hope to make it to MEPS sometime during the summer so since I don't have class all morning/afternoon anymore I will have a lot more time to train.

I just graduated RTC on Friday and we were told a few times that the BCT attrition rate is currently over 80%. I don't know what that's attributed to, but we were told it's the same as or slightly higher than the current BUD/S attrition rate.

The SWCC teams are pretty full right now so I am hearing they are dropping the hammer at the school house. Also I believe the high attrition rates generally have to do with guys that show up with out a clue what to expect and quit in the first month or so. Swim/run a lot before you get there and be a "grey" man when you are there it should go pretty well.

dknob, not cool!! :)

This is an old thread but I saw some “maybe when he gets back he can shed the light” conversation.

From what I have been reading the attrition rate for SWCC training is about the same as BUD/S training. I was just wondering at what point do most of the candidates drop out of SWCC training?

SWCC Training has changed a lot over the years as we find our place in the Special Operations Community. Basic Crewman Selection is more difficult now this last year than it has ever been in the past. The phases are now BUD/S Prep, to BUD/S Orientation to Basic Crewman Selection to Basic Crewman Training to Crewman Qualification Training.

Where did I see most of my brothers drop?
1. Weighted Treads
2. Running. Not making times, getting Injured, not liking the 16+ miles we run/ruck a day.
3. Water Rescue both with full kit and in trunks. People pass out. They also pass out during breath holding stuff.
4. The cold. You are tortured a lot with the cold depending on the time of year, and you are wet and sandy 99% of the time.
5. We now run boats on heads like the SEALs. SWCC didn’t used to run boats on heads. This year we do. Let me tell you, boats on heads is F’ING AWFUL!

I don't know. It might not be. I was reading something online though that an SWCC Class started with 80 Candidates and only graduated with 17. Class 64 to be specific.

I got rolled back a lot, and was the last one out of my training group. My original training group started with over 90 and 6 of us made it. That number varies, but we have a heavy drop rate.

There are definitely people who THINK it will be easier, and those guys get messed up. There are definitely parts of my training that are tougher than my SEAL counterparts.
1. Hawser line is hands down way worse than logs. And then you get the mother f’er wet.

We swim a lot more in full cammies, kit and boots.

Our water rescue is done is cammies, kit and boots. SEAL’s is done in cammies and no boots.

We focus way more on weighted treads. SEALs don’t have to tread nearly as much as we do.

The tour is 72ish hours vs the SEAL’s Hell week is 108ish hours. Hell week dies down though while the tour starts hard and keeps ramping up. They get a bunch of galley breaks every few hours that we don’t get. We spend more time eating MRE’s in the surf and don’t get to go to the galley until the last 2 meals.

All of this being said, the SEAL pipeline in total is 6 months longer, and BUD/S itself goes hard until the end of third phase, whereas life in BCT was not nearly as bad as BCS. SEALs get hammered for a much longer amount of time.

The lifestyle is by no means easier. If we are doing an operation with boats, we are wet and cold for longer and when everything is done, SEALs get to go home while we spend hours messing with our boats. The boats are very very hard on our bodies and some of us need back surgery after some time.

Or just want to drive boats.
They do a lot of cool shit, minus the SCUBA Diving. I'd recomend SWCC to my son if he said he wanted to join the Navy.

You are right, We will never get to dive. But much of our initial training is similar.

The SWCC teams are pretty full right now so I am hearing they are dropping the hammer at the school house. Also I believe the high attrition rates generally have to do with guys that show up with out a clue what to expect and quit in the first month or so. Swim/run a lot before you get there and be a "grey" man when you are there it should go pretty well.

dknob, not cool!! :)

SWCC classes are so small that you cannot be a grey man like you can in the SEAL classes.
My class had 1 instructor for every 2 of us.

The SEAL classes start at roughly 5 times the size with a similar amount of instructors.

Last edited:
What Viper1 said.... x100

Don't worry about Attrition rates, worry about prepping to do better than your best at all times. Why do you care how many other people fail, all you are doing is setting yourself up for failure that way. turn your research around - What's the friggin pass rate?

...And why do you care when people quit/fail in the course? - make them carry you out on a stretcher, in a crackerbox or rolled into a poncho ...
Love this analogy, man! Always stay positive, stay hungry, give them no option BUT to put you on teams!

Back