Australian defence capabilities & Senator Jim Molan

Serenity

Unverified
Back to school

At this stage, I think the entry of Senator Jim Molan will be a good thing when considering the current international climate. I think it’s been disappointing how he’s been attacked for doing his role in Iraq by the Greens. I don’t think he posted the Britain First’s vid with racist intent.

He came to my attention from his opinion piece I read a while back.

Former top Iraq war commander says Australia could only hold out for 19 days in event of attack

I’ve always felt we’re complacent with regards to our own defence capabilities and over-reliant on the Americans, whom imo are falling behind the Chinese. It’s scary to read it confirmed by a former military leader. Anyway, this topic has been on my mind a lot lately.

I’ve not been a follower of Australia since John Howard left government. However, I’m really interested in what Senator Molan’s influence with his military background.

He has some interesting views & having seen him interviewed on Sky they’re not particularly filtered. He got there by default due to the country of origin Constitutional problem(not that I’m critical of his appointment but it’s worth noting). But democracy throws up some interesting characters like Ricky Muir & it’s guts like that who, despite their inexperience, still have aright to be there.
De Natale apologised for calling him a coward & rightly so.
China is steadily gaining ground on the US & in particular the western pacific is an area they’re looking at.
You’ve forgotten the ‘roo shooters & assorted odd bods. They’ll be an interesting force if push comes to shove. I recommend reading the 2016 Defense White Paper which pretty much indicated to China to be careful.
ETA: it’s Sunday, I’m on the piss so I’ll PM you with a more finite answer.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was hoping you’d find the time to respond because I wanted to gauge the opinions of the Aussie reps here.

I’ll have a look for that Defense White Paper and try to find some time to read it. I suppose the more I loiter here, the more I’m interested in what we’re doing. I was having a coffee with my manager last week and this topic came up. It highlighted to me how little we both understood.

And Roo shooters? What do you mean @CQB?! Are you saying the farmers are part of our defense strategy?

Also don’t feel you have to personally respond at length. I don’t want to give you work. I just wanted to register my interest here.

I'm picking he's talking about the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party as a political force, not as a group of weapon platforms important to our national defence.

Jim Molan has been around, I generally find that those that have worked for him hold him in pretty high regard, although there is a lot of 6RAR boys who still wonder what his fascination was with regular 80km pack marches and why he felt the need to make the whole Battalion share in the experience.
As a junior Senator, I don't think he'll be bringing much to the table, he's not likely to pick up the Defence Portfolio, he's politically too junior and even as an experienced Army Officer, he topped out at Division Command, so he's not even more experienced than the current Generals, Marshals and Admirals running the show now. He's also 67, so by the time he's politically experienced, he'll be considered too old for such an important portfolio.

Unsure how you'd come to the conclusion that China have the wood over the US. No one would be keen to fight them in Vietnam, China, Korea or Russia, but it's not like they have the ability to sail down through the Arafura Sea and invade the North of Australia.

The 'roo shooters was a bit of an offhand comment admittedly & as you note if I'm reading the braille, not much in the way of a disciplined force.

I thought your points on Jim Molan were really interesting as I wasn't aware of some elements of his career. My rule of thumb is that anything past Major is a political promotion & if you don't pass Colonel you cash out, just my opinion no-one elses. So he did well to get where he did; talent and the all important ingredient, luck. His political career was one of default as he was defeated at the polls but due to the s. 44 Constitutional issue Fiona Nash was disqualified, giving him the seat by default. He'll sit in the Senate, pull the not too shabby salary, roll into Sky news with Peta Credlin or whoever for an OpEd piece and all will be well. You're right in saying he's not going to be effective as you conclude and I agree, but he's entertaining and as I've said previously he's unfiltered: nothing to lose really.

As for China, there's plenty of information online to confirm that its' rise as a major global player will be a strategic issue into the middle of the century at a minimum & particularly for Oz. China doesn't have the wood on the US but its' capability is growing, with its armed forces becoming leaner & meaner. The Australian DWP white paper of 2016 is particularly pointed on the matter; (p. 16 paragraph 30) & the paper goes on to say that the balance we here have to strike is important, as you would know. At p. 42, (2.10, 2.11 & 2.12) outlines a similar policy not too different from the current bilateral view of ANZUS & as NATSEC is a fundamental bi-partisan issue Shadow Minister Penny Wong has aired the same view. 2.12 also quotes the May 2015 Chinese DWP as seeking greater from neighboring states assurance as it grows & p.43 (2.16) notes that there will be points of friction.

My blunt assessment is to bomb spectacle factories & block the Malacca Straights. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@digrar Thanks for the insight on Senator Molan, it was interesting.

As for who has more ‘wood’, I suppose I didn’t phrase it so well. What I meant was that from reading the many articles being reported recently, it would imply the rate of the Chinese in advancing their technological military capbabilities is faster than that of the US. Maybe I’m wrong and you’d know better, but then who really knows since I doubt we’d hear about classified stuff from both sides. As a civilian reading the news, I’d expect the Chinese to eventually surpass the Americans. But this is more me seeing the Chinese as more industrious and ruthless in achieving outcomes. So maybe they can’t sail down to us so conveniently now, but once they finish building their air craft carriers and extend their naval reach, couldn’t they visit us? Not that I think we would or should be fighting the Chinese, I’m more interested in what are our plans are militarily as a deterrent to any hostile force. But according to CQB, I’ll find my answered buried in a white paper, which I will read.

In any case, here’s yet another article...I’m sure you guys would have read it.
China’s deadly military upgrades

@CQB Okay... first the ‘roo shooters’ and now ‘bomb the spectacle factories’. You have to know that I have to google all your offhand references! On this occasion, my ‘anglo’ husband was sniggering next to me and had to explain what you meant. I assume that’s what you meant. You realise I’m of chinese heritage right?! But it’s okay, you’re nowhere near as bad as my MIL with her asian stereotypes. :rolleyes: :p

Will PM separately later this weekend if I have more questions, but I’ll be quiet again.

Thanks again to both of you. The responses here and privately has given me a lot of pointers on things to read up on.

Back