Authorized water treading techniques

Jay_Pew

Verified Military
I'm heading to CCT selection in July as a retrainee and my regiment has included lots of water con. Under waters, bobbing, floating, traveling and treading with and without weight. I've exclusively been utilizing the breaststroke or "frog kick" as my means of staying above the surface, finding it the most efficient way for myself personally. However I know that the "egg beater method" is what is taught during training and I'm curious to know whether the egg beater is the only authorized method for treading, or if it's personal preference as long as you stay above water and that I would not be scolded for using the frog kick.

I played water polo during high school. Once you get the egg beater down, you will never want to do anything else. While the frog kick does work, short of having fins on, the egg-beater is going to be better for almost every situation. I could always get higher and stay higher longer (especially with weights) than I could with any other kick. In my opinion as a water polo player only, it would be worth getting it down. I still use it 18 years later. Just instinct now.

Ayo from across the interwebs Jay,

Keep in mind you can also switch up the tread technique if you need to. From what I understand, You don't have to egg beater the whole time for an event, although I think once you have it down it's probably the only one you'll really need/use. See you on the other side man,

A friendly reminder, instructors lurk here, so make sure you're putting out good info. An instructor's memory is long.....

A friendly reminder, instructors lurk here, so make sure you're putting out good info. An instructor's memory is long.....

Sure thing, I don't intend to disseminate any bad info here, if I have please correct me, and I apologize in advance.

When I was having trouble with the eggbeater tread I reached out to my friends who have made it through their respective pipelines and they told me that for treading events the only requirement is to keep "wrists and ears above the surface", and that it didn't matter what kick I used, or if I alternated kick techniques. However, they then made a point to tell me that I would be making life immensely more difficult for myself if I were to forgo learning the eggbeater, as it was the "most efficient".

I will not be entering the pipeline until Summer, so I am not speaking from personal experience, but instead am only hoping to pass along helpful info that I've acquired. That said, if any of that info is wrong, please disregard

Sure thing, I don't intend to disseminate any bad info here, if I have please correct me, and I apologize in advance.

I will not be entering the pipeline until Summer, so I am not speaking from personal experience, but instead am only hoping to pass along helpful info that I've acquired. That said, if any of that info is wrong, please disregard

A good rule of thumb to follow is that if you are offering tips or info on a pipeline/school/technique/etc, you should be able to explain why you know that info to be fact based. If you have to say, "correct me if I'm wrong" or anything similar, you probably shouldn't post it in response to someone seeking help for a specific technique.

A good rule of thumb to follow is that if you are offering tips or info on a pipeline/school/technique/etc, you should be able to explain why you know that info to be fact based. If you have to say, "correct me if I'm wrong" or anything similar, you probably shouldn't post it in response to someone seeking help for a specific technique.

Understood. To clarify, the information that I was sharing was coming directly from my brother-from-another-mother, a PJ with 9 years experience in the AF Spec Ops world, along with his actual brother, who just recently got his beret this past fall. I had quite literally asked both of them this exact same question posted by the OP, and so I thought sharing the response I got could be of use to him so he can more accurately train for the pipeline.

To me, they are very credible sources, but I still add "correct me if I am wrong" to just about any post I make in situations such as these because I am certainly no final authority on the matter, and am leaving the door open for any corrections from others on this forum. For me to claim that "I know this info to be fact based" in any situation regarding standards or requirements in the pipeline would be lacking what I would think to be much needed humility, I could have always misheard the info, or their info could be outdated.

I am genuinely curious, have I given incorrect information? I am in the final stages of training before I ship out soon, and any assistance in regards to preparing properly in my training would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure also for the OP as well.

Understood. To clarify, the information that I was sharing was coming directly from my brother-from-another-mother, a PJ with 9 years experience in the AF Spec Ops world, along with his actual brother, who just recently got his beret this past fall. I had quite literally asked both of them this exact same question posted by the OP, and so I thought sharing the response I got could be of use to him so he can more accurately train for the pipeline.

To me, they are very credible sources, but I still add "correct me if I am wrong" to just about any post I make in situations such as these because I am certainly no final authority on the matter, and am leaving the door open for any corrections from others on this forum. For me to claim that "I know this info to be fact based" in any situation regarding standards or requirements in the pipeline would be lacking what I would think to be much needed humility, I could have always misheard the info, or their info could be outdated.

I am genuinely curious, have I given incorrect information? I am in the final stages of training before I ship out soon, and any assistance in regards to preparing properly in my training would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure also for the OP as well.

Couple things, or observations from my short time on this forum.

One, the OP heard what HE wanted to hear, and is probably done with the thread and will never be seen or heard from here again. Basically, the thread is probably dead at this point (or should be)

Two, when people like you and I are "unverified", the forum really doesn't want to hear much from us. They just want us reading and not responding (or at least that is how it is in the AF section). The best thing to do with the responses given to you are just to "get" what they are saying and move on. It doesn't matter if you are curious, they have made their statements and it will only go downhill for you at this point. Just understand that they are giving you information/warnings/advice/heads up to benefit you, even if you don't understand it or agree with it, it is for your benefit.

All that being said, I wish you luck in the pipeline and look forward to seeing "verified" next to your name in the future

Back