Awesome EOD Callout Story

AWP

SOF Support
WWII? Nah. WWI? Nope. Civil War? Keep going.

Canada: Workers find live British cannonball in Quebec - BBC News

Builders in the old part of the Canadian city of Quebec have unearthed a live cannonball fired by the British during a siege in 1759.

They posed for photos with the large, 90kg (200lb) projectile, unaware that it was still potentially explosive.

Army bomb disposal experts later collected the device, saying there was still a danger, CBC reports.

"Hey, guys, builders found some UXO."
"Cool. What type?"
"A cannonball."
"GTFO"
"No shit."
"Where's it at?"

Quebec City archaeologist Serge Rouleau, who examined the munition before the army and noticed that it still contained a charge, said it was more an incendiary bomb than a cannonball, Le Soleil news site (in French) reports.

He had taken it home after the builders' firm, Lafontaine Inc, contacted the municipal authorities.

explosive that can last 250 years and still retain its potency?? Shit we need to invest in some of that.

explosive that can last 250 years and still retain its potency?? Shit we need to invest in some of that.

For sure, I predict total victory in Afghanistan if we hang out for another 230 years or so - so we need explosives that are in it to win with us. None of these 'cut and run' or 'date certain withdrawal' explosives like we have now.

The other thing that bothers me is the supposed existence of a 200lb-er cannon! These never existed to my knowledge.

The other thing that bothers me is the supposed existence of a 200lb-er cannon! These never existed to my knowledge.

Probably a 13" mortar, it was the biggest at the time using a 200lb projectile. they made bigger, I read somewhere about a British cannon that fired a 1700lb projectile but was never used in anger.

Cannon - Mortars

Probably a 13" mortar, it was the biggest at the time using a 200lb projectile. they made bigger, I read somewhere about a British cannon that fired a 1700lb projectile but was never used in anger.

Cannon - Mortars

Yes that occurred to me right as I fell asleep ha! Seems like the likely answers though I wasn't aware that mortars were in much widespread use then. Interesting stuff!

Back