bad to the bone...Intraosseous is the way to go!

medic1

Unverified
Hi Guys
How many of you are using the new IO kit out there? I know that the US like the FAST1 system, us Aussies and Brits go for the EZIO-drill but have you tried the new BIG [Bone Injection Gun], cheap, light, no betteries and multi site options....
I have written an article on IO technique, see www.extrememedical.com.au under training...

Medic 1

I've seen the EZ IO to the manubrium, just below the sternal notch and the standard IO to the proximal tib and proximal Humerus.

I'm not a medic though. :D

I use the EZ IO for the tib and humerous. I have seen the FAST used / never seen an EZ used on the manubrium. The BIG is an Isralie thing, from what I have read. Looks like a great back up peice but I am partial to the EZ IO. I remember when we (EMS) first got them. I used one on all codes and really sick patients I got until I found out they are about $50 for each needle. Now I am a little more cautious on who I use them on. Nothing like a non-colapsable I.V. those I.O.'s are.

F.M.

I use the EZ IO for the tib and humerous. I have seen the FAST used / never seen an EZ used on the manubrium. The BIG is an Isralie thing, from what I have read. Looks like a great back up peice but I am partial to the EZ IO. I remember when we (EMS) first got them. I used one on all codes and really sick patients I got until I found out they are about $50 for each needle. Now I am a little more cautious on who I use them on. Nothing like a non-colapsable I.V. those I.O.'s are.

F.M.

My mistake, I meant the FAST on the sternum/manubrium bone.

I got to see the IO on a patient in the ER at University one night. Amazing how easily it goes in and without no pain, or very little.

IINM, the docs in the ER are using standard IO with a 1/4" needle to the body of the sternum. I could be wrong though and there has been some discussion about having an IV in the chest and having to do CPR or other procedures that require chest room.

I practice on support guys who pass out after a night of drinking... ;)

Crip

Nice! :D

Amazing how easily it goes in and without no pain, or very little.

I seen a FAST one going in and it was bloody painful, that is what ive been told by a couple of medics that have had them.

I have ZERO desire to get one in me, so Crip if we ever go drinking I'm crawling off to pass out in some bushes where you can't find me.

Firemedic,

Do you remember that video of the medic giving himself a FAST IO ?? Do you still have it saved ? I can't find it.

The FAST I seen was a video from the 68W course, it was a PA who was instructing the students on how to give him the IO, pretty ballsy.

I have used the Easy IO it is pretty badass. I was also on my SFMS rotation when a equipment salesman came in telling the Docs how all the SF guys and SEALs(my partner was a SEAl) use it. We all got a kick out of the look on the salesmans face when the chief of anesthesia told him we were an SF guy and a SEAL.

Nope...

You talking about Jimmy?

That's not the name I was thinking of.

FAST IO Self Administration video here: Kinda looks like Pardus :D

[video=google;-1776229004395263433]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1776229004395263433#[/video]

I had a chance to use the EZ IO during ride time for paramedic school during a full code. I have to say, I"m impressed. But I agree, knowing the price for the drill and each Needle, it's kind of a turn off.

Back