Best Muzzle Brake?

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
I'm working on a Remington 7400, (.30-06), including a heavier barrel, and I'd like to put a muzzle brake on it.

I was wondering what the better muzzle brake design tends to be.

From what I've heard, the "Sherman" style seems to be most effective, as well as the design found on the Barrett .50.

16k4yrs.jpg

JP02.gif

Can I get some opinions on what I should know about, pay attention to, or be concerned with?

All input is sincerely appreciated; whatever you've used that worked well, or did NOT work.

I think both of those brakes are overkill for a 30.06 :eek:

Take a look at Ops Inc, Ron Howard is good people.

I agree. The second one is a design custom made for the Remi 7400 series. The 7400's are auto-loaders, so I want to try to get fast with it; not just to reduce felt recoil, but really to get sights on quicker after each shot. Just ordered three 10-round magazines, too.

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll check them out.

Maybe do a search, This one was muzzle brake + M1 Garand

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12787&title=M1 GARAND M1 MUZZLE BRAKE

Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Doorkicker seems to have what you need.

I have a 7400 semi in 30-06, I really don't understand your need. It seems mild. I was TOed on the M14 that may have something to do with it. Don't hold your rifle like a M4. Rapid fire on the M14 was the way to go, it sucked on full auto, unless you kept to a 2 rd burst.

Other part with brakes, is that are loud and blow gas back. As 275Anger stated. The one on a G3 is especially bad. But recoil is extremely mild.

Maybe do a search, This one was muzzle brake + M1 Garand

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12787&title=M1%20GARAND%20M1%20MUZZLE%20BRAKE

Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

That's exactly why I consulted with you gents first.;)

Doorkicker seems to have what you need.

I have a 7400 semi in 30-06, I really don't understand your need. It seems mild.
Its not a "need" really, more of a want.

I want a rifle that is extremely functional at intermediate range, in a rapid fire type of scenario- anywhere from 200 to 500 meters. I have other bolt action rifles that have been tweaked for longer range stuff, but this is my rapid fire weapon. The idea behind the brake isn't so much to make me feel good, as it is to acquire sight picture much faster between shots.

I was TOed on the M14 that may have something to do with it. Don't hold your rifle like a M4. Rapid fire on the M14 was the way to go, it sucked on full auto, unless you kept to a 2 rd burst.

Other part with brakes, is that are loud and blow gas back. As 275Anger stated. The one on a G3 is especially bad. But recoil is extremely mild.
I'm cool with the blowback; I know its necessary.

My main concerns were with choosing the BEST DESIGN, in other words, which one works the best, not which one looks the best or anything like that.

I read the typical design on the Barrett .50 is one of the more efficient designs, in terms of keeping the platform stable immediately after firing a round, so I went looking to see all the different types of suppressors and brakes.

A wise man onced told me that you can't have both a comp and hider in one unit on the end of your muzzle. The laws of physics still apply and you give you up some flash and some compensation.

If you want to dampen muzzle rise, then get a decent comp. If you want your flash to be suppressed get a flash hider or use a suppressor (silencer for you hollyweel types) :)

A wise man onced told me that you can't have both a comp and hider in one unit on the end of your muzzle. The laws of physics still apply and you give you up some flash and some compensation.

If you want to dampen muzzle rise, then get a decent comp. If you want your flash to be suppressed get a flash hider or use a suppressor (silencer for you hollyweel types) :)

My goal is dampening muzzle rise.

Take a look at the brake on the 98 Bravo, this is a super efficient brake for a .338 and would work very well with a 30.06

Take a look at the brake on the 98 Bravo, this is a super efficient brake for a .338 and would work very well with a 30.06

I think I am going with a small or a medium 3-port Pain Killer- but I'll check out your idea too.

Good stuff, thanks.

SMALL:

33c55za.jpg

MEDIUM:

igcjg5.jpg

The Barrett brake is incredible. Probably overkill for what you have in mind, but extremely effective. It reduces recoil to that of a light shotgun round, a very easy rocking kick...but because of the big caliber, causes considerable ground and air disturbance lateral to the shooter.

What about the brake from the FN-FAL? Very effective, and essentially the right caliber.
Just because you mentioned it, x SF, and just because this is a thread about muzzle brakes, I will post some of the data I've collected. Might as well make this a muzzle brake /flash hider resource.

axlaqh.jpg

JP Tactical Compensator: (Bennie Cooley) JPTRE-2
Length:
Diameter: 0.750"
Weight:
Price: $89.95

Top professional shooter, Bennie Cooley contacted us to develop a truly high-performance, match-legal tactical rifle compensator. With his valuable input, we produced a design that maximizes the potential of the size limitation while maintaining nearly the same recoil reduction and neutrality that has characterized the original JP Recoil Eliminator. Bennie was fully impressed with the new compensator and has endorsed it as his choice for action rifle competition.

s63iao.jpg

Length:?
Diameter: ?
Weight:?
Price: $30.50

Yankee Hill Machine (YHM): Phantom Flash Suppressor: YHM-28A
This suppressor virtually eliminates flash and provides excellent performance with night vision. Incorporated into the design is the ability to use the suppressor in hand-to-hand situations. Precision CNC machined and finished with a mil. spec. phosphate coating. Includes washer.

2i0wx6t.jpg

Miculek
Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $54.95

Greatly reduces felt recoil. Will bring 14.5" barrels up to legal 16" when permanently attached and will install on any 1/2x28 tpi .223 barrel.

2mzeyo.jpg

Noveske KX3
Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $130.00

KX3 Flash Hider for 5.56 mm and one for .308/6.8 SPC
One problem with 10.5" and shorter M-16/AR-15 barrels is a great amount of concussion is produced which can upset the shooter, and his team, especially indoors. The KX3, (the Updated version of the Krinkov Flash Hider), directs the blast forwards, away from the shooter. Using the KX3 flash hider helps generate back-pressure for reliable cycling on short guns. The powerful muzzle flash of the 10.5" barrel is minimized. Made in Oregon with a tig welded 4140 adaptor. The KX3 is threaded 1/2x28 TPI Class 2A internally, and features a unique design which helps maximize gas entrapment. The KX3 is made of heat treated 4140 Chrome Moly and Mil Spec parkerized and heat treated 4140 CM. This is avalible as a complete unit ready to install on any 1/2x28 USGI threaded barrelfor 5.56 or 5/8X24 for the .308/6.8 SPC Model. The US made KX3 has been cleaned up cosmetically from the earlier KFH and is lighter in weight, This lets US control availability and quality control. The new Noveske KX3 is made to exacting tolerances with specific materials. And proudly made in the USA.

This is not a sound suppressor.

124wi8n.jpg

Saylor Machine: Phoenix PML4
Length:
Diameter:
Weight:
Price: $59.99

These were designed specifically for the FN FAL/L1A1 and the 7.62NATO/.308WIN round. Made by Saylor Machine. Very tough and look great on your FAL/L1A1! Counts as 1US 922R compliance part! Available in 9/16ths 24TPI left or right hand for either metric or Inch FAL barrels. Cut from heat treated, stress relieved 4140 bar stock.

FROM SAYLOR MACHINE: A lot of people have been wanting more information on the Phoenix, so I thought I would add it here. This flash hider was designed with preservation of the night vision of the shooter as the number one priority. Night blinding from muzzle flash is very detrimental in combat situations due to the long periods between follow up shots. To reduce this effect the following things were designed into this unit. It has bi-directional ports cut around the perimeter to assist in the leaning of the air/fuel mixture that is required for combustion. It also has a tapered bore to help slow the escaping gas so it has more time to mix with the additional air to further reduce the air/fuel mixture even more. The small grooves cut around the perimeter of the ports are anti-resonance grooves that help reduce barrel vibrations, thereby stabilizing the bullet sooner in it's flight. It is 2.240" in length so as to bring a 14.5" rifle up to legal length with correct attachment techniques. The muzzle is "banded" to give it strength, stabilize rifle grenades, and to provide a snag-free muzzle for tactical situations requiring speed and mobility. The air / fuel ratio that supports combustion is 14.7 to 1 respectively The region we are trying to stay out of is between the LEL and the UEL limits. We can not add more fuel to make the ratio too rich so we are mainly concerned with the LEL (Lower Explosive Level). This is the point where combustion is possible, below this point and the mixture is too lean to burn. By adding more air to the mixture (something that IS available) we can lean it to the point that it will not burn. The bullet passes through the inner chamber and pulls a slight vacuum behind it, this pulls in extra air that mixes with the exiting gases thereby leaning the mixture inside the flash hider. The leaned air/fuel mixture then escapes through the forward end of the four ports and out the front of the unit.

14lordf.jpg

Advanced Armament Corp. (AAC): Blackout

Length: 2.25"
Diameter: 7/8"
Weight: 2.9 oz
Price: $59.95

Three equally spaced, horizontal slots efficiently reduce muzzle flash and help prevent the blinding effect of a bright flash in complete darkness for improved target acquisition during night ops. Flat, smooth muzzle face with rounded corners prevents hang-ups and allows unencumbered weapon deployment. Two machined flats allow simple installation with a standard-size wrench. Precision machined from heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel and given a proprietary SCARmor™ coating for high surface hardness and durability. Fits 5.56 NATO (.223) caliber, threaded barrels only.

2r2xjzk.jpg

Vortex M429
Length: 3.175"
Diameter: .860”
Weight: .26 lbs.
Additional Sizes: .50 cal, 9 mm/.335 cal, 7.62 mm, 6.8 mm,
Price: $51.00

The world’s most effective flash eliminator is now available the 5.56mm M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW). Based on the combat-proven Vortex system, the definitive development of the patented Vortex design now features a 40% increase in structural rigidity. This new version also enables the use of our forthcoming quick disconnecting M249/MK46 Direct connect (DC) sound suppressor. The new M249 model features our patented 15-degree helix, guaranteeing a complete propellant burn and negligible flash, unlike the standard issue closed-end “bird cage” unit or competing straight-flute designs. Right hand helical flutes will not loosen under sustained fire. The aligning of exiting gases helps to improve accuracy.

The new G6 BFA is machined from 8620 steel and features a hardened 416 stainless steel shaft for long service life. The G6 BFA will work on all variants of the M249 SAW family, as well as all variants of the M4 and M16-based weapons when fitted with the appropriate Vortex® flash eliminator. This development of a common BFA for 5.56mm issue weapons eliminates the need to maintain a dedicated BFA for each weapon in that caliber. The robust dimensions, manner of construction and use of high-grade materials offers a quantum improvement over the current issue BFA item. Also, a grenade ring is attached to the center shaft to prevent loss in the field.

SPECS: M249 Vortex: Heat-treated 8620 steel, RC 55-60 Internal, RC 35-38 surface Hardness to depth .006 to ..010. Phosphate finish. Overall Length 3.175”, Diameter .860”, Wt. .26 lbs.

2sb9zky.jpg

Primary Weapon Systems (PWS): FSC556
Length: 2.10"
Diameter: .865"
Weight: 2 oz
Price: $99.95

Full Auto at 15m
PWS: DNTC Vs. PWS: FSC556
More Full Auto Action

This FSC556 Tactical Compensator has all of the compensation of the standard DNTC compensator combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight.

This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE. See the document here.

This device was also designed to accommodate suppressors such as the Gemtech HALO and therefore comes with a peel washer.

Will add more as time and opportunity permit, but I am still leaning towards the Pain Killer medium. I've called the guy a few times, and hope to get a call back soon.

One thing I've noticed about the Pain Killer (unlike many other products) is that the way the ports are made (directional) they have much more "brake" action than ports that are not directional, and just allow gas to escape horizontally out of the sides. And then the top ports reduce climb. It seems to fit the bill.

PAIN KILLERs
rt2ezn.jpg

Back