Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Level 3

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Level 3a

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

TheP71

Unverified
I live in near the city of Detroit I have a CPL and I have a ok EDC kit but I want to add some armor to my kit. Do I need anything more then level 2 armor or would it be worth it to go level 3 or 3a?

IIIa soft body armor, unless you want to rock plates.

"IIA: Tested to stop .357 SIG and .44 Magnum
ammunition fired from longer barrel
handguns. No rifle ammunition protection"

Last edited:
Out of random curiosity, why do you want to wear body armor? Other than....well, Detroit.

Unless you are going to wear it daily as a added level of protection (not sure) I would suggest a plate carrier w/L4 plates or AR500 steel plates for a "Oh fuck kit". If it is meant to be worn daily, I would go L3A with a hard trauma plate. Keep in mind, generally you will replace soft armor ($700-$1k) every 5 years or so, and on the year for the carrier ($60-$100).

Seems like a waste of money if you aren't in a profession where you would need it. Spend the money on more shooting classes and ammo. It will be more fun and you will get more out of it. Honestly, I would think spending money on a stop the bleed type class would have more use in your life than body armor.

I'm with @policemedic and @Isiah6:8 on this one.

The best body armor is area avoidance. I don't know where around/in Detroit you live, or what the crime looks like in your area, so I don't want to say you don't need it, but unless it's required for your job or you otherwise have to be in high risk areas, it might not be anything worthwhile for you.

Back