British admiral talks about Royal Navy, Falkland War

"The best we can do for an expeditionary force is a day trip to France." Bwwaaaaaahaaaa

But sadly true. No flattop til 2020, shitcanning the only two amphib ships in the RN...

"For Christ’s sake, it’s 30 years later; if they’re still upset about it, they ought to be taken out and shot anyway.”

I want to party with this man.

If the Argentinians had employed their bombs properly, those islands would not be British. A lot of blame is on the fuzes, but a few postmortums have the weapons being used outside of the fuzes operational envelope.

The RN went from controlling every ocean to barely retaking a few icy rocks....and now it is in even worse shape. Politicians and economics have done what navies could not.

Exocet missiles sank the HMS Sheffield but the HMS Antelope was lucky as the Argentinian pilot let fly too close for the missile to arm. The hole in the hull is clearly visible.

Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/HMS_Antelope_1982.jpg/300px-HMS_Antelope_1982.jpg

Antelope was hit by a pair of bombs, neither of which exploded. Sheffield's Exocet didn't explode.

Argentinian attacks being pressed home on HWS Broadsword.

article-0-13553F79000005DC-760_964x880.jpg

Ewen Southby-Tailyour...Royal Marines... he was the Horatio Hornblower of the Falklands War. A favorite character of mine and a ubiquitous presence during the campaign.

The Falklands was a few Argentinian miscues from having it gone sideways for the British. It was a logistical nightmare for the British...the only analogy I can think of would be having tried to attack Japan from California in WWII.

Isn't it funny that navy special warfare gets all the press regardless of country, while the fighters stay in the shadows.....

The Brits are pretty good about keeping their mugs off the front page. Meanwhile, on this side of the pond, our guys write books and hit the TV talk-show circuit.

I agree with you about logistical nightmare. I was in the NC Air Guard during this war and wondered if we'd be doing any support operations.

Last edited:
Back