"Caliber vs. Shot Placement"

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Yep, time to stir this argument up again.

As someone with a decent amount of knowledge regarding handguns and very little preference one way or another regarding caliber choice, I figure I could offer a sound voice of logic that will inevitably calm everyone down and bring some sanity to this argum…. Hahahaha just kidding—this discussion is probably more heated than any political debate out there and people lose their ever-loving minds. So just assume that a good number of the people reading this will do backflips after reading a couple more paragraphs.

CentralNervousSystem-360x200.jpg

Is this still a thing, an argument??

I love the debate as much as the next shooter, but I thought this was fairly settled by now. #shotplacementcounts

I'm an equal-opportunity pot-stirrer, this article ran today so I posted it here today. Besides, the mod election is already a settled issue. This topic is MUCH more in doubt. :)

This argument always seemed sorta silly to me. If you put a 9mm or a .45 in the right place you are going to bring the target down. The goal should always be accuracy. So shot placement always counts, regardless of caliber. I think if its a double stack vs single stack argument, it becomes more legit.

I hate debating this, of course shot placement over caliber. Until you are shooting a bear, then it's pretty much caliber. Somebody is already think .22LR to the ear, fuck no, you are a stupid motherfucker to fuck with a bear with a 22, don't do that.

The author isn't wrong.

I carry both, and I don't feel outgunned with my Glock 17 (by policy, we can now carry only Glocks and I had to give up my beloved HK45). I admit to a preference for the 1911, but that has to do with ergonomics and the trigger, not so much the .45 ACP.

Put enough bullets in the right place and the target will drop. It's important to understand anatomy and physiology in order to manage expectations regarding fighting with pistols, though.

Sure, but no one makes a handgun chambered in that caliber. We are discussing handgun performance so that seems like a fanciful and irrelevant reference.

In general we tend to have this discussion with rifle ammo as well though all the time. However, point taken as I was going more with the thread title and not the quote and article posted.

A few sticks and some string can be used to kill most anything at the same ranges as a pistol can be used - so - I am going with shot placement....

...and big bullets

The real question is, fixed blade or mechanical broadheads ??

As an firearms instructor in my past life and having fired thousands of rounds, I can't get my head wrapped around why anyone would question caliper over shot placement. Wtf... In all my years I never once considered one round over another...shot placement was and has always been paramount.

I carry a G43 (primary summer carry) and a Sig P220 for employment and winter carry). You carry what works for you...$.02

Does a bear shi...YEP. I actually had this debate with a bear once over the course of about 4 seconds. My kids were behind me on the trail and there was no way in hell that bear was going to get to them. So the bear and I had a brief diplomatic negotiation while I fumbled with my gear with multiple options. At the point where I knew I was going to take the hit, the bear's eyes got really big (think the horse in Animal House) and he ran off in another direction. I was about to be proud of myself when I realized the bear got scared not because of me, but because of what was behind me. Moral of the story is, fuck the gun, just have a really scary wife...

Back