Can Army SF use their own gear? Plate carriers, Kevlar, and the works

WanaB

Marine
Verified Military
I searched through 10 pages of threads to try and find this and I don't think it's been covered.
If it has, I apologize, I'm new to forums and still figuring it out.

I'm in the 18x pipeline right now, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to use my own gear when (if) I get to a team.
I'm sure to some degree it's unit specified, but maybe not, SF is a different world.
When I was in the Marine Corps, I acquired my own plate carrier, one that hasn't had much use other than Murph's and other weighted excercises.
Is there any chance I'll be able to utilize this gear (and maybe my own helmet) when I get to a team if my plates meet the NIJ level III or IIIA ballistic standard?
Will I not need to? Is the gear issued to team guys different than the gear issued to standard infantry?
Of course I'm not considering my own rifle, more just protective and tacti"cool" gear and other things like my own ruck or my own magazines.

Thanks guys

We have guys that buy/fabricate/alter their own gear and it's allowed for us, within limits.

The problem that I would caution is this- heaven forbid something happen to you, and while in the investigation it's found that you're wearing non-issued personally procured gear. That can be devastating to the legal process (not in your favor) and even lead to loss of benefits.

Typically for accessory gear- mags, rucks, other tacticool accoutrements- I mean, sure. The only thing that usually leads me to say is, "Wow, look at the 75 extra lbs of crap you bought for $2000 just so it looks like you jumped out of a BLACKHAWK magazine for no real benefit."

Anything that's considered "life saving" equipment- harnesses, helmets, plate carriers/plates- I would strongly discourage that.

Obviously not an 18 series guy, so of course I will defer to those guys that know better on specifics.

In small team deployments (I'm speaking from personal experience in the Marines, not SF), in war, you'd be surprised at the personal uniform/gear/weaponry improvisations people come up with...some by necessity to adjust to local situations/conditions. But like I said, that's in small autonomous units operating beyond the green zone for months at a time.

Last edited:
If you make it to the Q course, the only time you'll use your personal plate carrier is during the Bravo course if you're a Bravo. If you're one of the other MOS's you won't use one in the course.

I would recommend against buying anything until you get selected. There is some gear you'll want to buy for the Q, but don't go over board. Like previously stated, you'll get an ass load of kit issued to you in Group that's likely a lot nicer than what you'd buy on your own.

If you do get selected and want some advice on what gear to buy for the course, feel free to PM me.

I did use a custom ruck and a different LBE throughout the Q course. I spent a total of 300 bucks on gear while in the service(apart from headlamps, boots and misc little things)

As TLDR20 said, you'll get a metric shit ton of gear; I'm only support (in a guard unit) and I have more gear than I ever was issued active. I'd say the big things (carrier/helmet/sleep system etc) are good as issued. Most of what I see that is self purchased is "cool guy stuff", load carriers, and rucks.

I searched through 10 pages of threads to try and find this and I don't think it's been covered.

I'm in the 18x pipeline right now, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to use my own gear when (if) I get to a team.
I'm sure to some degree it's unit specified, but maybe not, SF is a different world.
When I was in the Marine Corps, I acquired my own plate carrier, one that hasn't had much use other than Murph's and other weighted excercises.
Is there any chance I'll be able to utilize this gear (and maybe my own helmet) when I get to a team if my plates meet the NIJ level III or IIIA ballistic standard?
Will I not need to? Is the gear issued to team guys different than the gear issued to standard infantry?
Of course I'm not considering my own rifle, more just protective and tacti"cool" gear and other things like my own ruck or my own magazines.

Thanks guys
WanaB,
While having procured some of your own gear already is nice, the stuff you get issued at Group is most likely better. I would say you dont need to buy anything prior to arriving to a Group. In the Q, the only two things I modified were my boots and ruck, I did not buy anything special and not once did I feel like I needed to. Take directions from your cadre on whether mods are allowed or not and find out what the other guys in the course are doing.
Teams get funds to buy the newer "tacticool" gear that each individual detachment deems necessary for the mission ahead. No need to buy it yourself, especially while you are in the Q.

Thanks guys

The issue stuff from group issue point is pretty good. Recommend setting up the kit they give you to your liking and then fill gaps with your own stuff. I bought a bigger aid pouch and and admin pouch. Other than that, kept it used most of what I was issued

Back