Canada orders Falcon III radios

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
I could see this coming for almost a decade now and it's long overdue. After the deployment into Kabul in '03 we started to see different 'flavours' of the AN/PRC 117 show up for conventional troops; depending on the need. A far superior radio to any of the other junk we had. I think this will be a total game changer right down to section level. It's stuff like this that makes me wish I was still playing the game.

Canada orders Falcon III radios

Published: Aug. 16, 2011 at 6:05 AM

MELBOURNE, Fla., Aug. 16 (UPI) -- Canada's armed forces are receiving Falcon III AN/PRC-117G wideband manpack radio systems from Harris Corp. of Florida.

The order, worth $4.7 million, includes the RF-7800B tactical Broadband Global Area Networking satellite terminals. Integration of the AN/PRC-117G with the Harris RF-7800B terminals will provide Canadian personnel with unique end-to-end, Type-1 secure beyond-line-of-sight wideband communications connectivity.

"The AN/PRC-117G and RF-7800B will provide Canada's military with new communications capabilities that will lead to enhanced command and control and situational awareness," said Andy Start, president, international business unit, Harris RF Communications.

"This is another illustration of Harris growing capability to deliver reliable, rugged and secure systems that address challenging requirements for communications."

The AN/PRC-117G radio provides unprecedented situational awareness of the battlefield by enabling applications such as streaming video, simultaneous voice and data feeds, collaborative chat and connectivity to secure networks.

Delivery details weren't disclosed.

Harris RF Communications is the leading global supplier of secure radio communications and embedded high-grade encryption solutions for military, government and commercial organizations.

The company's Falcon family of software-defined tactical radio systems encompasses manpack, handheld and vehicular applications. Falcon III is the next generation of radios supporting the U.S. military's Joint Tactical Radio System requirements, as well as network-centric operations worldwide.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Back