Canada Recruits Fat and Lazy

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Saw this article and thought it would be an interesting discussion. I wonder if it's just a Canadian problem or perhaps a Western problem; the new generations seem to be getting fatter and dumber.

Military recruits struggling to win the battle of the bulge, audit says

By Lee Berthiaume, Postmedia News August 16, 2013 6:27 PM

• Story
  • Photos ( 1 )

8799346.jpg

Canada’s military is having to accept new recruits who are fatter, less educated and harder to motivate than previous generations because quality applicants are in dwindling supply, an internal Defence Department audit has concluded. Unlike these soldiers, seen at Nova Scotia's Camp Aldershot in 2007, the audit found that “fitness and educational levels of recruits in the last five years have been slightly lower than in the past.”
Photograph by: WO Jerry Kean/DND , Postmedia News

OTTAWA — Canada’s military is having to accept new recruits who are fatter, less educated and harder to motivate than previous generations because quality applicants are in dwindling supply, an internal Defence Department audit has concluded.

Despite an end to combat operations in Afghanistan and deep budget cuts, officials say the military needs more than 4,000 new recruits each year to offset attrition and keep 68,000 full-time troops in uniform.

According to the audit conducted last year but only recently made public, Canadian military recruiters are expected “to encourage dedicated individuals, who are mentally and physically fit, towards military service as a career of choice.”

However, the department’s auditors found that “recently, this has been an increasingly difficult challenge.”

The Canadian Forces has historically drawn heavily on young, white males from rural communities to fill its ranks, but the auditors cited recent census data showing that “traditional pool” has been steadily shrinking.

“Factors such as increased levels of education, an aging workforce, a labour pool increasingly made up of immigrants, and the changing expectations regarding the nature of work among the 17- to 29-year-olds have also been contributing to challenges in recruiting,” they added.

The result? The auditors found that “fitness and educational levels of recruits in the last five years have been slightly lower than in the past,” while “compared to previous generations, recruits of today are described as harder to motivate.”

Despite this, they warned “raising the quality line” could backfire by making it even harder to find new recruits, and instead noted a number of initiatives such as sending out-of-shape recruits to fat camp before basic training has had positive results.

The audit was conducted before the military rolled out a new fitness test earlier this year that it says more closely reflects the actual tasks the country’s soldiers, sailors and air force personnel must be able to accomplish such as carrying sandbags.

It’s unclear what impact the new test will have on recruiting, if any, but auditors concluded the military has been able to “cope with differences observed with this slightly less fit and educated generation of recruits.”

Auditors noted the budget for military recruiting has been slashed from $38.6 million in 2009-10 to $25.6 million this year, which has resulted in the closure of several recruiting centres.

However, they do not draw a link between those cuts and the declining quality in recruits.

The audit report also noted Defence Department officials have looked at following the United Kingdom and Australia in privatizing military recruitment, but that the costs outweigh the benefits at this time.

Royal Military College professor Christian Leuprecht, who has researched military demographics and recruiting for years, felt the audit report was as much a statement about the military’s failure to adapt to changing circumstances as anything else.

Leuprecht noted the absolute number of youth in Canada continues to grow, meaning there is still a substantial and growing population to recruit from. He questioned whether the military has continued to rely too heavily on its traditional recruit pool and old training methods.

“We just need to work harder with the people who may be interested in joining but perhaps don’t have all the attributes that we need,” he said.

“Is what the organization is trying to make these kids do really what the organization needs for the 21st century? And is that perhaps why the kids themselves are a little bit disenchanted with what they’re being asked to do because they’re questioning how in the world this is possibly relevant?”

lberthiaume@postmedia.com

Twitter: @leeberthiaume

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

I'll have to ask a buddy at the recruit school what the attrition rate is like. When I went through we had a lot of people PAT Pl (personnel awaiting training) but most were injuries; we had a few fat fucks on course but most were "forced" into getting in shape or buh bye.

I wonder if it has to do with the unemployment rate. When the Army upped the age limit there were 40 year olds who had never put on a uniform signing up for a steady paycheck and benefits. Not making a judgment, just wondering if that could have something to do with it.

That's part of it but from what I've seen, most of those 40 year olds actually have a work ethic and are in shape or work hard at getting in shape. It's the younger generations looking for a silver spoon.

I wonder if it has to do with the unemployment rate. When the Army upped the age limit there were 40 year olds who had never put on a uniform signing up for a steady paycheck and benefits. Not making a judgment, just wondering if that could have something to do with it.

No, in fact the older recruits performed far better on average.

Saw this article and thought it would be an interesting discussion. I wonder if it's just a Canadian problem or perhaps a Western problem; the new generations seem to be getting fatter and dumber.

Its a western problem. New Zealand was struggling to work this out years ago.

Prevalent in the Navy. It's infuriating. Not just new folks, but those who have been in as well.

The audit report also noted Defence Department officials have looked at following the United Kingdom and Australia in privatizing military recruitment, but that the costs outweigh the benefits at this time.

We still have the military involved, although most of the leg work is done by civvies. I think they are hamstrung by the ADF to a large degree, making the process a lot longer than it needs to be and I also think the system favours the squared away and driven recruit, as you have to chase the civvies every step of the way to get your application moving. That's not such a bad thing, the demotivated drop off and those that really want it go the distance.

We haven't changed our education standards, but we have started easing up on the more rotund, the wheezy and the illicit drug experimenters.

I'll have to ask a buddy at the recruit school what the attrition rate is like. When I went through we had a lot of people PAT Pl (personnel awaiting training) but most were injuries; we had a few fat fucks on course but most were "forced" into getting in shape or buh bye.

My basic had an attrition rate of approx 34%. Out of those who were dropped, it was pretty evenly distributed between guys being total princesses, medical reasons,
and just being chubsters.

Once I got to my trades course, we only had one guy leave because of a death in his family and another who
couldn't qualify on the range.
With that being said, this all took place last year. I'm not sure if attrition rates in the distant past have been very different.

In regards to the older aged guys, I can vouch for. In a different section on my trades course there was a guy who I would say was at least 40. One of the hardest working guys on course and was often appointed by course staff for leadership positions. We called him the 'platoon daddy'.

Back