Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six-Two

Unverified
Hey All,

After months of deliberation, I enlisted last year as a 38B in the Reserves after watching this video. Okay, I thought, so I won't be OAF, but at least I can learn to shoot, move, and communicate, and maybe kick over a table and shoot dudes from the seated position.

So imagine my surprise when I arrived to my unit and found that 10% couldn't pass an APFT. Probably 60% don't know the 5 pillars of CA. Fully 90% spend the majority of drill on their phones ducking 1SG because they're behind on their MEDPROs. They shoot once, maybe twice a year. At the last NTC, the SBCT that we supplement left their motherfucking Strykers running and unattended.

Given that we're ramping up for a near-peer conflict, the idea of deploying with a morbidly-obese dude who can't remember what his job is and hasn't shot since last fucking April is pretty scary to me. Not like "AH! COMBAT!" But like... If I'm gonna be in a fight, I sure as fuck don't want it to be a fair one. I want to absolutely obliterate the enemy with such ludicrously vicious, dizzying, ball-kicking force and/or element of surprise that they literally have no idea what hit them, and move the fuck on. Barring that, I'd like to be shooting next to guys who don't know what tape is and who won't leave the fucking Stryker open for Kim Jong-Whoever-The-Fuck to jump in.

So I'm wondering if any of you green-faced, snake-eating, door-kicking, ODA-beard-wearing types can give a young PFC some indication of what to do. Time to put on my "NGSF OR BUST" T-shirt and start rucking? Take what I can get and just try and get all the AFRICOM deployments so I can grow a beard and live off base and shoot guns? Finish my degree and submit an application for a DO job with everybody's favorite three-letter? Something else I'm not party to?

I go to Benning for BCT in July, then Bragg. So theoretically, I could pop smoke/try my ass off to get another MOS/cut off my fingerprints and change my identity to reenlist as an 18-X/finish college and put in for CIA. I got a 99AFQT, and have about 18 months of college left, if I had to guess. I'm strong, but my run sucks because I haven't trained in two months (rolled my ankle training). I'm 29. I'd like to commission at some point if I'm gonna make a career out of this. If I don't, Directorate of Ops would be pretty neat. But a reserve opportunity where I can run with some solid dudes would be tits.

Any pointers or peeps that I could reach out to would be greatly appreciated; ideally I can take this post down in a day or two and regain what shred of OPSEC/PERSEC there is left in this world. Thanks all.

Or, alternately, should I just stick it out with my 38B contract, and reassess after Airborne school? My only concern with this is that my mobility, career-wise, seems like it'd be greatly hampered relative to where I'm at now.

I didn't know they let newbies initially enlist into CA. As for the question, not sure there is one, you will likely have to finish 2/3rd of your signed contract before branch transfer will be allowed. However, in most cases, the USAR will not sign a 368 to transfer to ARNG and vise versa. You will most likely have to finish your initial contract, or transfer to regular Army, at which point you will be stuck in your current MOS.

CA being shooters, lol that's a good one...

Go Infantry, be a man among men!!!}:-)

Last edited:
On the off-chance you didn't mistake ShadowSpear for Penthouse Forum when you were writing this...

You realize that while CA is SOF by doctrinal definition they aren't meant to be door-kicking shooters, right?

As to shooting in the reserve components (hell, even AD), you won't do a hell of a lot of it. You have many, many tasks you have to be trained on and able to execute to standard; shooting is just one of them. There's only so much time during a drill weekend, and a lot to do. You'll do other common tasks and CA specific training much more often than shooting.

That brings me to the fact that it is your responsibility to maintain your skills. ARs are plentiful and handguns even more so. Many guys in the reserves/NG shoot on their own time to build their skill. Similarly, PT is your responsibility.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you know what you signed up for.

I didn't know they let newbies initially enlist into CA. As for the question, not sure there is one, you will likely have to finish 2/3rd of your signed contract before branch transfer will be allowed. However, in most cases, the USAR will not sign a 368 to transfer to ARNG and vise versa. You will most likely have to finish your initial contract, or transfer to regular Army, at which point you will be stuck in your current MOS.

CA being shooters, lol that's a good one...

Go Infantry, be a man among men!!!}:-)

THE ARMY HAS 180 JERBS

179 ARE SUPPORT

GO INFANTRY

Reserve CA is not SOF. Not doctrinally, not based off the alignment.

You're right, I didn't have the full picture when I enlisted. I'm not sure how I would. Second-guessing/Monday Morning QB-ing of my decision aside, is there anybody I can hit up for actual career advice or should I just delete this rather than leave semi-identifying info up so people can shitpost about me being a dummy for not knowing the ins and outs of Army budgetary constraints and organizational doctrines before enlisting

On the off-chance you didn't mistake ShadowSpear for Penthouse Forum when you were writing this...

You realize that while CA is SOF by doctrinal definition they aren't meant to be door-kicking shooters, right?

As to shooting in the reserve components (hell, even AD), you won't do a hell of a lot of it. You have many, many tasks you have to be trained on and able to execute to standard; shooting is just one of them. There's only so much time during a drill weekend, and a lot to do. You'll do other common tasks and CA specific training much more often than shooting.

That brings me to the fact that it is your responsibility to maintain your skills. ARs are plentiful and handguns even more so. Many guys in the reserves/NG shoot on their own time to build their skill. Similarly, PT is your responsibility.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you know what you signed up for.

Yes, PT is my responsibility. Funding range trips and practicing our small unit tactics I'm a little bit iffy on, but let's say it is. In either case, the notion of deploying - to what, according to an LTC, COL, and BG will be an exponentially more kinetic environment against a near-peer enemy - with people who shirk that responsibility is worrisome to me.

I get it, Reserves suck and CA is relatively weak shit, yada yada... if there's somebody who can lend some advice on what to do now I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, I didn't have the full picture when I enlisted. I'm not sure how I would. Second-guessing/Monday Morning QB-ing of my decision aside, is there anybody I can hit up for actual career advice or should I just delete this rather than leave semi-identifying info up so people can shitpost about me being a dummy for not knowing the ins and outs of Army budgetary constraints and organizational doctrines before enlisting
I mean... you're on a forum that exists for the sole purpose of informing people about the military and SOF before the sign on the dotted line.

I get it, Reserves suck and CA is relatively weak shit, yada yada... if there's somebody who can lend some advice on what to do now I'd appreciate it.

"No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion."

Make the best of where you're at and if you hate it you know the options that are out there should you try to change course. You signed on the dotted line and raised your hand to volunteer for a non-shooter job when you obviously wanted to be OAF. That's on you.

I mean... you're on a forum that exists for the sole purpose of informing people about the military and SOF before the sign on the dotted line.

You mean this subforum? Not a lot of CA guys on here. As far as doing things before signing, well... what if I were an 11B that wanted advice about how to get to SF? Or an inter-service transfer to SEAL teams? How would that be any different?

if there's somebody who can lend some advice on what to do now I'd appreciate it.

Man up and fulfill the contract you signed, be the best reserve CA soldier you can be. When a door of opportunity opens, walk through it. You probably need to talk with your unit and find out what options you have if any. Part of learning from our mistakes and taking great strides to learn everything before making a commitment, is following through with a commitment you've made, especially when you don't want to. Builds character... there will be other opportunities that will come, just be the bast you can be, where you are.

ETA: just listen to @DasBoot I didnt see his post, he is spot on.

Would you just say he's shit out of luck; we can't give you any career advice whatsoever cause you already signed up? Because that would be absurd.

Would you just say he's shit out of luck; we can't give you any career advice whatsoever cause you already signed up? Because that would be absurd.
You're a grown man. You've been at your unit for less than a year. You showed up and immediately said "fuck this everyone sucks." And now you're trying to bail when in all honestly you're not in any position to move and haven't done anything to warrant a move. You're getting mad that a bunch of people on the intranets you don't know arent telling you how to manage your career is a little odd too.

You mean this subforum? Not a lot of CA guys on here. As far as doing things before signing, well... what if I were an 11B that wanted advice about how to get to SF? Or an inter-service transfer to SEAL teams? How would that be any different?

Have you graduated basic training and AIT?

Man up and fulfill the contract you signed, be the best reserve CA soldier you can be. When a door of opportunity opens, walk through it. You probably need to talk with your unit and find out what options you have if any. Part of learning from our mistakes and taking great strides to learn everything before making a commitment, is following through with a commitment you've made, especially when you don't want to. Builds character... there will be other opportunities that will come, just be the bast you can be, where you are.

"Man up and do this shitty job that is in no way representative of what you were told for six years, after which you'll be to old to shift into a career path that's actually in line with what you want out of life, your knees will be shot from 48 PLFs, and you'll have PTSD from that time a Korean ran over your overweight squadmate in a stolen Stryker."

Okay, think I've heard all I need to hear.

As a Grunt, I will give you some of the best advice I ever received concerning the military -- and every other occupation -- I have had.

When things don't go your way -- whether or your doing or not -- YOU ARE ALWAYS BEING WATCHED AS TO HOW YOU RESPOND! Your response to unfavorable happening speaks volumes about your ability to lead. We all find ourselves in situations of unpleasantness that we have to wade through in order to get to what or where we want.

Do your time and be the absolute best you can be at where you are finding yourself. Embrace the suck and let others know that you won't be changed by your environment. Be consistently good and show leadership. People will know you aren't in your "favorite" spot, but made the absolute best of it and was able to drive on.

Just some thoughts!

You're a grown man. You've been at your unit for less than a year. You showed up and immediately said "fuck this everyone sucks." And now you're trying to bail when in all honestly you're not in any position to move and haven't done anything to warrant a move. You're getting mad that a bunch of people on the intranets you don't know arent telling you how to manage your career is a little odd too.

I didn't show up and announce everything sucks. I've shown up a half hour early to every drill, put out, volunteered to do everything, and kept in shape. When the reality of the situation became clearer, I started to think that maybe this isn't a great use of what I have to offer - which I'm sure will probably be characterized as "nothing" because I haven't gone to IET yet, but is actually considerable, between language abilities, civilian experience, and physical build - and am trying to figure out an alternative course of action. But it sounds like I'm not gonna get that advice here.

"Man up and do this shitty job that is in no way representative of what you were told for six years, after which you'll be to old to shift into a career path that's actually in line with what you want out of life, your knees will be shot from 48 PLFs, and you'll have PTSD from that time a Korean ran over your overweight squadmate in a stolen Stryker."

Okay, think I've heard all I need to hear.

Yeah this response is exactly why you wouldn't make it in a combat arms unit. Maybe try the Coast guard?
No. Which is why I'm trying to figure out what to BEFORE I ship. It's a lot easier to figure out a reclass or inter-service transfer before they pay for all your schools.

So take off of your profile that you are a 38B, Your not, you are DEP kid who hasn't been to basic. Call your recruiter and explain your concerns and issue's.
Also a bit of advice, your posts read like a child having a temper tantrums about making a mistake and not wanting to own it. That bullshit don't fly here, especially with combat veterans. Humble yourself a bit and learn to stop getting emotional. You came here asking us, we didn't ask you here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back