Cases to Irish Defence Forces Ombudsman rise

Crusader74

Verified Military
Verified Military
I'd like some feedback on this to establish if you Guys have a similar system in place..

Cases to Defence Ombudsman rise
JASON MICHAEL

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking34.htm

Thu, May 28, 2009

There was a sizeable increase in the number of cases investigated by the Ombudsman for the Defence Forces last year, it was revealed today.

Presenting her third annual report, today, Ombudsman Paulyn Marrinan Quinn said her office examined 106 cases in 2008, a 39 per cent increase, with most relating to promotion and career courses, administrative procedures, and alleged inappropriate behaviour and bullying.

Broken down by category, there were 33 cases over selection procedures for promotion, 32 cases over alleged inappropriate behaviour/ bullying, 14 cases over selection for career courses, 13 cases over administration procedures, 12 over maladministration, and two cases relating to selection procedures for overseas service.

The number of reports, both preliminary and final, issued by the ombudsman also rose substantially in 2008, and a final report was issued in 34 cases. Of these, almost 60 per cent of the cases were upheld in favour of the complainant.

Preliminary view reports (PVR) were issued in respect of 48 cases. PVRs set out findings made so far and request further information or clarification, providing four weeks for replies.

Ms Marrinan Quinn said it was notable that 261 complaints received were originally processed through the Defence Forces own Redress of Wrongs procedure. “This trend illustrates the growing confidence and trust which members and former members of the Defence Forces place in my office to fairly and independently adjudicate appeals from the outcome of the internal Redress of Wrongs procedures."

The 261 complaints represents a 55 per cent increase on 2007.

Reflecting on her work in the office since its inception in December 2005, she said: "I have increasingly developed the view that an ombudsman is likened to 'a sleeping policeman’: by its very presence, it is acting as an agent of change and a guardian of fairness.”

“The establishment of the Ombudsman for the Defence Forces in Ireland has been widely supported and accepted in a positive light."

Ms Marrinan Quinn added the office of the Defence Forces Ombudsman was respected internationally and was viewed as a model of good practice.

“While the office has operated with small staffing levels, the impact has been far-reaching. I am confident that it represents significant value for money . . . [and] it is notable that many countries are now considering the establishment of an office of ombudsman with specific responsibility for the Armed Forces."

Back