China Supplies Pakistan with Two Nuclear Reactors

Pakistan's a state sponsor of terror and has been for a few decades now. We've given them somewhere around 19 billion dollars in aid yet many of the weapons used to kill troops in Afghanistan are procured in PK and some with money from the PK gov't. The manufacturer of most of those weapons? China.
The broad strokes of a relationship are the same even if the relationship itself is very complex. A one night stand or a single date becomes a girlfriend then a fiancée...and the next thing you know there's a mortgage, a couple of kids, and gazillion dollar weapons deals. China and PK's relationship has grown over the years and continues to grow. PK has manipulated superpowers since the Soviets rolled into the 'hood back in '79. You could argue that goes back a little further given Major Powers' launch site...
Sometimes the how and why are irrelevant and the scoreboard is the only thing that matters. Right now China's Facebook page probably has a lot of party photos with Pakistan tagged in them. If we can't change that (unlikely) then we need to marginalize the relationship. Sure, maybe India's standing in the way, but no matter how recalcitrant even India will have to wake up soon. Their influence wanes and we could really use a partner in the region.
So PK is doing a bang-up job with it's nuclear program and weapons. Yay (golf clap)....still a sponsor of terrorists. Still helping to kill everyone in Afghanistan. Still doing the above with arms purchased in China. Still harbored UBL while cashing our checks. Still, still, still...Even if their nukes and nuke programs are locked down with nothing to worry, we can't trust them. India certainly can't trust them. PK operates training camps for the express purpose of sending jihadists to Kashmir. So the only reason to trust them is what? They don't want a dirty bomb traced back to them with the accompanying repercussions? I can buy that as part of a stable gov't, but individuals with power and access? That's when my faith in them breaks down. The country has teetered on the edge of boiling over for at least a decade; internally the country isn't that secure or stable.
Their track record sucks and we're naive if we think no one in the gov't with access isn't thinking about how to put this material in the hands of the wrong people.

A dirty bomb while possible is highly unlikely or we would have already seen it. The problem for using a dirty bomb is the nuclear material could be traced back to the produced.

Nobody is willing to allow their material to be used in a dirty bomb and have to deal with the consequences of having a dirty bomb go off in west.

I'm not going to go off into the weeds about statistical likelihood, partly because I don't have access to current information that would make my sexy numbers accurate. However small, the chances of a dirty bomb being deployed at some point are great enough that it warranted a whole new 10-day block of instruction at NAVSCOLEOD ("new" in this case meaning that division was stood up after I had my crab and was doing great things for God and country).

What a lot of us also fail to consider is that while the more unsavory characters may not have an immediate plan for bringing the wrath of Allah upon our heads, they will look further into the future than our ADHD culture can fathom when it comes to overall planning. They may not have a plan to get to RDD material right now, but the ones who are smart enough to think this through (and not all of them are stupid, it's a fatal flaw to think they are) will keep an eye out for any opening that may present itself, insh'allah. Whether it's someone sympathetic in a position of power, or a well executed heist from a disposal site later on, or a purchase from yet another unsavory organization that can lend plausible deniability through porous security measures, the strategists or their successors will keep an eye open for that opportunity well after we've written it off as a cornball paranoid delusion perpetuated by those goddamn right-wingnut teabagger prepper bastards.

I'm not worried about a suitcase nuke, and I'm not sweating an RDD, but I'm not writing off the latter as impossible.

Send in the bunker buster...

th

Back