Classic recon picture

@Gunz one of my dad's last assignments before retiring--it may have been his last, I need to check out his 214--was with S2 of 2nd force recon, when it was still in Quonset huts on Onslow Beach. I remember being a wee lad and going out to see him, and pics like these all over the walls, and even then thinking about the rich history.

2d stood up in 58. I was assigned in 60 as part of that. You notice in the above picture that B Company only shows 22 Marines. I was in Alpha. At the time 2d only had A & B Company, besides HQs. 2d Force was a Geiger and 2d Bn was at Main Side before going to Stone Bay. Notice the BAR on the front of the raft. No motors for us. Also notice the berets. I have a number of pics. Told you I was an old fart.

I blew the following pictures up so you would have a better view of the equipment we had in the early 60s (Click pic). Also notice the sub on the poster. It is no longer there but now a combat diver. Notice the "Grease Gun" was our TO&E weapon.

Attachments

• Force Recon 001.jpg
    Force Recon 001.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Force Recon 2 001.jpg
    Force Recon 2 001.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Force Recon 3 001.jpg
    Force Recon 3 001.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 42
I blew the following pictures up so you would have a better view of the equipment we had in the early 60s (Click pic). Also notice the sub on the poster. It is no longer there but now a combat diver. Notice the "Grease Gun" was our TO&E weapon.
Well, I see the dog and pony hasn't changed in the slightest while the gear, uniforms, and guys have.

The covers in the first pic are unsat. Clearly their uniforms indicate a lack of pride in the Corps and they suck at their jobs. I'm cancelling liberty for all of them and assigning extra work in the motor pool and/ or base beautification projects. That'll teach them.

What else can they do to ruin good order and discipline? Hands in their pockets?

(The above is sarcasm for those of you who missed out)

Seems like the right place and time to ask this, I have no personal knowledge...but always wanted to know, how was the M3 Grease Gun to shoot?

I’ve shot one several times but maybe @LimaPanther can elaborate on particulars. They are very rugged...and I can see why they’d have been a choice for paratroopers etc.

Last edited:
The covers in the first pic are unsat. Clearly their uniforms indicate a lack of pride in the Corps and they suck at their jobs. I'm cancelling liberty for all of them and assigning extra work in the motor pool and/ or base beautification projects. That'll teach them.

What else can they do to ruin good order and discipline? Hands in their pockets?

They are some salty sea dogs.

Seems like the right place and time to ask this, I have no personal knowledge...but always wanted to know, how was the M3 Grease Gun to shoot?

The M3 was great to fire but it must be remembered that there was no selector switch so the weapon always fired automatic. You pulled the bolt back with your finger to lock it to the rear. You learned to squeeze and release the trigger fast to at least get a 3 round burst. Never could get it to fire a single shot. The only safety was to close the cover plate causing a small piece of metal to fit into the bolt. The weapon was easy to clean. The "stock" acted as a ram rod to hold your cleaning patch or wire brush. Also as a wrench to remove the barrel. Due to its length and fire power I never understood why it was done away with for tankers or those that needed something small. Of course an M4 is almost as small and does have a selector switch but compare a 45 round to a 5.56 round for close in fighting.

Last edited:
Back