Cleaning a wound in a non-sterile environment?

I had heard of using moss (if nothing else was available) to treat water before drinking, but I hadn't heard about the wound treatment. I looked the subject up and it seems wound treatment goes back a long time. It's the Sphagnum moss that is discussed mostly. Wikipedia has most of the information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphagnum

Good info, thanks.

If you use H2O2 to clean a wound, dilute it with 50% clean or sterile water. There are a lot of jungle medicine ways to stop bleeding... If you are really worried about being able to survive after the coming apocalypse... get the FoxFire bOOks ( a series - and expensive - but excellent Appalachian 'do anything' advice).

Stump water is good for a drying agent - the tannic acid is astringent and antiseptic...

And yes... rubbing dirt in a wound can help (kaolin clay actually) control bleeding

Hydrogen Peroxide is a shitty cleaner when it comes to killing bacteria, I read a study from the AMA that stated the only beneficial thing the peroxide did was to dilute the bacteria, something tap water would have done just as effectively.

If I can find the article again, I'll post it.

In the meantime...

http://www.mercer.edu/camps/message/summer2001/summer2001-disinfectant.htm

OK, I didn't find the exact article but this is almost word for word what I remember:

In conclusion, hydrogen peroxide appears not to negatively influence wound healing, but it is also ineffective in reducing the bacterial count. However, it may be useful as a chemical debriding agent. The American Medical Association concluded that the effervescence of hydrogen peroxide might provide some mechanical benefit in loosening debris and necrotic tissue of the wound.

The source for this is: Rodeheaver GT. Wound cleansing, wound irrigation, wound disinfection. In: Krasner D, Kane D. Chronic Wound Care: A Clinical Source Book for Healthcare Professionals, Second Edition. Wayne, PA: Health Management Publications, Inc., 1997:97-108.

Got this from this article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456300_3

I know of a certain type of moss, that I only know by sight that contains penicillium the pre thingy to penicillin and has been used for thousands of years by our ancestors.
I've also been taught by an SF medic that moss can be used quite effectively to stuff a wound to stop bleeding.

I have to ask you, why the hell would you care if someone has a history of blood clots when thinking about stopping them bleeding out?
They will die in 2 - 5 minutes if you dont use the thing that might cause reversible clots. :uhh:

Then again, I'm the most junior douche medic you can get lol

Don't know - my medical knowledge is limited to very basic wilderness first aid training, and the instructor who told me about the plant may not have had much more first-hand experience than me. I'm glad I had a chance to check the accuracy of the information before I passed it on to the kids, though, and the info about the moss is wonderful. Thanks, guys.

Question regarding bleeding;
"In the old days" most (real) men carried styptic pencils in their shaving kit to stop minor bleeding from razor cuts. It was common practice for old time butchers to immediately jam coarse salt in their wounds when they cut themselves. They said it stopped the bleeding and the salt worked as an antiseptic. I've used sea water to wash out all sorts of wounds and all of them healed nicely with no infections. But I've never run into any training that would suggest using salt on wounds. Besides the obvious pain issue of 'rubbing salt into a wound', does anyone have any insights as to why the use of salt is absent from most wound treatment protocols today?

I found this, can't verify the accuracy of it though...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6869.0;prev_next=next

Provided by Walter Sipe, M.D., clinical fellow of pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology, and nutrition, University of California, San Francisco (former HHMI medical fellow)

Before we get to the science part of your question, let me start by saying: Do not put salt on your cut. The single most important aspect of wound care in the backcountry is vigorous and copious irrigation with clean water (filtered or chemically treated so it is drinkable). You can generate a high-pressure stream by filling a zip-top plastic bag with water, poking a tiny hole in a bottom corner of it with a needle, and then squeezing the bag so water comes out through the hole. For dirty wounds, vigorous scrubbing to remove foreign bodies is also important. Exposing wounds to iodine, alcohol, peroxide, and pure salt is no more effective than water irrigation at preventing infection and can potentially damage tissues. The safest way to slow bleeding is to hold direct pressure on the wound until the bleeding stops.

The reason that salt stings a cut is that as the salt dissolves, it causes the fluid surrounding damaged tissues to become extremely hypertonic (which means that the concentration of salt and other electrolytes is higher than it is in normal body fluids).

Pain-sensing neurons have receptors on them that respond to a variety of stimuli. For example, there is a specific receptor that responds vigorously to capsaicin, which is the substance that gives jalapeño and habanero peppers their kick. So, quite literally, when you are adding hot pepper to food, you are (carefully, I hope!) inducing the sensation of pain to complement the other flavors of the meal.

More recently identified is a receptor that responds to changes in electrolyte concentration—such as the change that a large amount of salt induces. Thus, putting salt on a wound stimulates pain-sensing neurons in much the same way hot pepper does.

When tissue is damaged, many pain receptors become sensitized—that is, they need a much lower level of stimulation to respond than they normally would. (For example, after you have burned your mouth, try eating some spicy food that you could normally handle—ouch!) Salt may then compound the pain by further damaging injured tissues and making them more sensitive in general.

10/16/06

Jeez I know that this is an old post, but just thought I would inject some life into it!!

Dirty & contaminated wound.......why not use Hydrogen Peroxide 3% or 6%: I know it has had some bad press in the recent past, and I think that if you leave it on the wound it does produce problems. However, I think good irrigation with HP to clean the crap out and then irrigate with potable water.....failing that use a weak bleach solution to replace the HP. Good soap is great for most wounds, makes it smell nice and Pruuuudy too!

You talk about HP and failing that bleach to clean a wound. I just want to put out there *again* to people that they both use very different processes for cleaning.
HP has no anti septic properties, Its only anti septic benefit is through dilution. It's only real benefit is the mechanical cleaning of a wound (which you can probably achieve better with a good scrub out), it won't kill bacteria, whereas bleach will kill, well pretty much anything lol.

Jeez I know that this is an old post, but just thought I would inject some life into it!!

Dirty & contaminated wound.......why not use Hydrogen Peroxide 3% or 6%: I know it has had some bad press in the recent past, and I think that if you leave it on the wound it does produce problems. However, I think good irrigation with HP to clean the crap out and then irrigate with potable water.....failing that use a weak bleach solution to replace the HP. Good soap is great for most wounds, makes it smell nice and Pruuuudy too!

Yea Pardus, Hydrogen Peroxide does not necessarily disinfect the wound, it will however clear any aerobic micro organisms out from the would and thus help prevent infection. This is particularly important in a wilderness or non conventional setting where EMS is a while away or there may be a delay to conventional emergency treatment. These aerobic micro organisms are commonly seen in dirt, earth and vegetation. I should have stressed that following the irrigation with HP the wound should be irrigated with at least 500 ml of potable water. Soap will clean a wound, due to the ph factor but will do little to kill any nasty shit. HP is not suitable for any wounds, and if EMS is available within 12-24 hours I would not advise it's use other than an emergency, however if you are out in the boon-docks or in a civil emergency it is great to use.........if not stick to bleach!! Hydrogen Peroxide, if used neat can cause chemical burns, it is best used in a 20% solution with potable water to eliminate this risk.
Hydrogen peroxide appears not to negatively influence wound healing, but it is also ineffective in reducing the bacterial count. However, it may be useful as a chemical debriding agent. The American Medical Association concluded that the effervescence of hydrogen peroxide might provide some mechanical benefit in loosening debris and necrotic tissue of the wound.

Concentrated peroxide will kill living tissue without decreasing bacteria density, which then gives bacteria something to feed on retards wound healing, not a good idea. Diluted bleach (1/4 to 1/8% solution, or Dakin's) is your best bet for treating infected wounds; I use Dakin's on wounds almost daily. But nothing beats irrigation: "The solution to pollution is dilution" is an old surgical maxim.

Do not use betadine or peroxide, they both kill healthy tissue and create an environment for bacterial growth. Vigorous irrigation with sterile saline is the best wound care , lacking that Darkins solution (google it) is the next best alternative.
I teach my students this maxim, start broad-spectrum antibiotics as soon as possible, if fact through scientific research we have discovered the ideal time to start them is one hour before you are wounded.

Starting treatment one hour before being wounded.... AWESOME!

I advocate placing a tourniquet on limbs one hour before being wounded too, works great! :uhh:

Do not use betadine or peroxide, they both kill healthy tissue and create an environment for bacterial growth. Vigorous irrigation with sterile saline is the best wound care , lacking that Darkins solution (google it) is the next best alternative.
I teach my students this maxim, start broad-spectrum antibiotics as soon as possible, if fact through scientific research we have discovered the ideal time to start them is one hour before you are wounded.

Betadine. create an environment for bacterial growth..

I would like you to back this claim up please.

I would also like to know your medical training, thanks.

As I indicated, HP is to be used to chemically debride the wound and is to be used in wilderness environments when medical care is not immediately available, it is to be irrigated following use.

yea, you had me until "antibiotics 1 hour before injury". while that may in fact be true, it is simply not practical. At least, not from my optic. i dont have that much antibiotics running around, and it just seems like bad luck....

"Hey, Williams, I am going to give you this Cipro before the mission.What? No, i dont think anything bad is going to happen! But seriously, take this with food...."

I was taught to start with an ABX of low spectrum that covers the endemic stuff in the area, and increase your spectrum of coverage if there is sign of infection after 24-48 hours. Easier on the patient, easier on your supplies of the big guns later, less chance of helping create super bugs... WTF is it with 4th gen Cephalasprins and Cipro as ABX of first resort? Most of the stuyff out there is not penicillinase resistant gram negative staph or strep... yet, but we're sure working hard at making it that way.

Prophylactic ABX is a bad idea. I agree with AMLove the rescue dog... "He dude, take this with food, we're getting ready to bust the wire... don't worry, you might start shitting all over yourself when we're in the beehive..."

X, what about the cutting away of proud flesh prior to treatment on certain wounds? Everything seems to have generalized here. Peroxide in extended use till healing, causes excessive scarring and delayed healing. I would also as Pardus stated like to have you start a thread with your SF knowledge of more major wounds that require care beyond basic medical treatments pertaining to, but not limited to more life threatening field applications. Have at it Bro! You are more than qualified to teach here.

I'm a bit hammered after showing my son vids of people getting their heads hacked off by cowards, so please excuse the lack of proper punchiation.

Back