Coast Guard Suspends SEAL Pragram

Not surprised by this, everyone in the private and public sector is tightening there belts. In the article they said the program couldn't have costed much only having 3 guys making it. It still cost money to send people, it cost money to select people, it cost money to manage people working in another service. It all costs money and the bottom line is ROI and from the outside looking in it appears the Navy is getting the loins share of the ROI.

I just hope, if they choose to end the program, they don't pull the plug on the guys that got through or at least give them a branch transfer so they can continue forward on a career they earned.

My understanding is the new Commandant isn't keen on the GWOT Mission and wants to emphasize the SAR/Environmental aspects, kind of pre- 9-11-01 ish.

What kind of surprised me is that the CG had this program to begin with. My Coastie friends at school were explaining that AFTER the CG sends what are probably some of their best guys to BUDS, foots the bill for all that training, the guys go serve on a SEAL Tm for something like 5-7 YEARS, then they have the option to stay Navy or go back CG... who would want to go back to conventional duty of any type after all of that? Meanwhile, during all this they're still on the CG's books. I don't see the benefit to the CG at all, except to say "hey now we have SOF too."

What kind of surprised me is that the CG had this program to begin with. My Coastie friends at school were explaining that AFTER the CG sends what are probably some of their best guys to BUDS, foots the bill for all that training, the guys go serve on a SEAL Tm for something like 5-7 YEARS, then they have the option to stay Navy or go back CG... who would want to go back to conventional duty of any type after all of that? Meanwhile, during all this they're still on the CG's books. I don't see the benefit to the CG at all, except to say "hey now we have SOF too."
Agree with your logic, but if it put extra SEALs into the war....win-win.
USCG was looking at a limited mission for them (Posse Comitas rules wouldn't apply), but my guess is other national assets will take the lead now.

... who would want to go back to conventional duty of any type after all of that?

A valid point, but it's a very, very taxing life and people do get tired of it. Most choose to just get out, but there are some who are interested in staying in to do other things that are still important but maybe easier on the family.

Back