College Teaches Anxious Students Not to See Failure as 'Catastrophic'

Maybe it's just me, having put two boys through college in recent years and the youngest now a sophomore at FSU, but the young men and women I've been meeting--through them--have greatly impressed me. I wonder if the PhD headshrinkers are over analyzing things in this politically correct/trigger warning environment.

Maybe it's just me, having put two boys through college in recent years and the youngest now a sophomore at FSU, but the young men and women I've been meeting--through them--have greatly impressed me. I wonder if the PhD headshrinkers are over analyzing things in this politically correct/trigger warning environment.

More like facebook outrage/"I'm offended they offer this" culture. Wall Street and Top 500 companies seem to have no trouble recruiting enough young people, oddly enough.

@Diamondback 2/2 You never had people wiser than you talk to you about your failure and how to move forward? Pretending as if a class is that much different than sergeants time or some good old fashioned ass-chewing is choosing to ignore reality.

Student loans for parties? Do you know how student loans work? Many are paid directly to the institution. You can go ahead and blame kids for making poor choices, but I think I can drive around any base in America and see just as many poor choices. I have been to Secrets enough times to see what 20 year old dudes will do with a paycheck, no matter the source.

The student loan thing is so silly to me. Education is expensive. It is expensive to go to trade schools, it is even more expensive when shitty schools like ITT tech are charging 20+K for an associates. Places like that are driving student loan debt more than partying 19 year olds...

Are you serious, people need a class to get their butt chewed? I could teach that class, professor asshole lectures in 5.

Yes I know how student loans work, and no they are not all paid directly to the schools and yes many students take loans for living expenses and yes going out and partying with their new found freedom away from home. Yes they spend and live outside of their means, and yes it is nobody fault but their own. They made a choice, they have to live with that choice. I watched my wife do it when we were dating, I watched my brother do it for 6 years. I see it every time I'm in a bar and some dumbass college kid want to shoot a tray of shots with every dickhead in the bar.

I think it's silly that kids nowadays need a class to be told they fucked up, pick yourself up, dust off and move forward. It ain't rocket doctor shit, been doing it my whole life, just like everyone else. They don't need a class, they need a swift kick in the ass. That's what parents, teachers, coaches, policemen, bosses and Sergeants do. No class, just a sideline "hey you fucked up, fix it and move on".

But anyway, I'm glad these kids are getting something where everyone else is failing them, when they fail...lol

... Wall Street and Top 500 companies seem to have no trouble recruiting enough young people, oddly enough.

All of those firms are going to hire "someone." Whether it's schools, private sector, or the military, just about everyone has a hiring mission to meet. The question is, what quality are those "someones?" Are they better or worse than those who came before? I don't know the answer to that because I don't think I've ever seen any studies focused on that question. I do think I read a Marine Corps report claiming the quality of the officers' corps in that branch has been on the decline in recent years (fact check?).

All of those firms are going to hire "someone."

I would say that the starting candidate comes to the street with more tools to be successful than the prior. However, their ability to apply what they learned in school to the real world will be the ultimate judge. While they will always hire "someone" at some point, firms today are more comfortable running lean until the right person comes in. Rather work with a small amount of people who carry their weight than a bunch of assholes who do nothing.

I would say that the starting candidate comes to the street with more tools to be successful than the prior. However, their ability to apply what they learned in school to the real world will be the ultimate judge. While they will always hire "someone" at some point, firms today are more comfortable running lean until the right person comes in. Rather work with a small amount of people who carry their weight than a bunch of assholes who do nothing.

I don't know if they come with more tools, just different tools. It is true that places hire "for fit" and would rather run lean. Well, at least in the hospital/nursing world.

I don't know if they come with more tools, just different tools. It is true that places hire "for fit" and would rather run lean. Well, at least in the hospital/nursing world.

I should have been more specific because my comments relate to finance and Wall Street. At the firms I have worked at we have always been hiring for fit. There isn't much room for error given how difficult the business is already and the quantities people are in charge of. I understand that is a biased view, but across the street we are seeing and hearing the same things currently

I should have been more specific because my comments relate to finance and Wall Street. At the firms I have worked at we have always been hiring for fit. There isn't much room for error given how difficult the business is already and the quantities people are in charge of. I understand that is a biased view, but across the street we are seeing and hearing the same things currently

In a disastrous stint as a nurse manager of a surgery-trauma ICU I hired for fit. A good team can make up for some understaffing, run more efficiently, and produce better patient outcomes.

In fact, I believed in hiring for fit so much I had a motivational poster in my office which quoted Col. Charlie Beckwith that said "I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads".

Last edited:
Well, I have been on both sides of the coin. IMHO, growing up with everything handed to you because of who your parents are, etc. and then having absolutely everything taken away from you and thrown out into the cold may seem extreme to some, however, I would disagree. It taught me how to be a human being, humility, honesty, respect, direction for righteous rage, focus during the storm, and an iron bound will to win the right way at any cost. It also taught me to appreciate what I do EARN from my efforts and hard work. I was handed everything as a child. Became way to cocky, and basically a self righteous spoiled Brat. Then everything was taken, via my father at first. Everything stripped away. Long story short, it forced me to either sink or swim, and I found that PitBull will and mentality, am a few days (I think) from having my entire record set back before a judge and found not guilty across the board, and reach my goal. The point is, I would NEVER have done that if life would have continued as it was when I was a child. Thank God for my father, and his foresight, and all my "babysitters"!
I guess I got it all wrong. I was given things to do that increased my knowledge base, and it was broad. Later on, I was required to use the information to think, and find answers on my own.

So those that don't like this, is it simply because you feel it's a joke that kids say they need it, or because the university is doing it or what?

If the kids are having anxiety, and this turns out to help them, what's the big deal? I personally have never had a problem with anxiety, or depression, nor an issue with accepting and learning from failure, so I don't presume to know what it's like to deal with those issues. I'm sure these kids don't choose to have anxiety, and it's probably scary when it creeps up on them.

Example: My friends girlfriend suffers from anxiety. If she's alone in a pitch black room, or in a large crowd where you have trouble moving, she suffers from panic attacks occasionally. She can't help it, it just comes. This same girl also works 80 hour weeks managing a popular restaurant in Madison. She also did so for a year while finishing her bachelor's degree in hotel management. I certainly wouldn't call her weak or a pussy because she just so happens to suffer from a problem she has absolutely no control over.

Edit to add: She used to take medication for this. About 2 years ago she stopped taking it on her own volition. The panic attacks have actually gotten fewer in number. Personally, I like the idea of talking about this type of thing better. Because the other solution is pretty much always "take these pills, and let's see what happens".

Last edited:
So those that don't like this, is it simply because you feel it's a joke that kids say they need it, or because the university is doing it or what?

If the kids are having anxiety, and this turns out to help them, what's the big deal? I personally have never had a problem with anxiety, or depression, nor an issue with accepting and learning from failure, so I don't presume to know what it's like to deal with those issues. I'm sure these kids don't choose to have anxiety, and it's probably scary when it creeps up on them.

Well, counseling offices have abounded on college campuses for decades. Maybe more. I am all for services to help students, really. My gripe is that it seems that kids are going into college or the workforce ill-prepared not because of the rigors of fill-in-the-blank, but because their parents and schools have failed them in preparation. I see a difference between what the link is about way back in the original post and what you bring up. With regard to anxiety, depression, et al., of course there should be services to help.

I know a counter-argument is that colleges have services to help with kids who are math- or writing-deficient, labs, etc. and this is an extension. I don't know. It just bugs me that the kids who seem to use/need the "adulting" classes need them because of the circumstances in which they were raised: coddled, unused to failure, helicopter parenting, everyone-gets-a-trophy expectations.

Well, counseling offices have abounded on college campuses for decades. Maybe more. I am all for services to help students, really. My gripe is that it seems that kids are going into college or the workforce ill-prepared not because of the rigors of fill-in-the-blank, but because their parents and schools have failed them in preparation. I see a difference between what the link is about way back in the original post and what you bring up. With regard to anxiety, depression, et al., of course there should be services to help.

I know a counter-argument is that colleges have services to help with kids who are math- or writing-deficient, labs, etc. and this is an extension. I don't know. It just bugs me that the kids who seem to use/need the "adulting" classes need them because of the circumstances in which they were raised: coddled, unused to failure, helicopter parenting, everyone-gets-a-trophy expectations.

Oh I totally believe that that is the case for some of these kids. But even pertaining to them, if this helps those ones as well, than all the better. I just feel like a lot of the time it's a blanket statement on how every kid born after 1990 is a spoiled and coddled punk. Are there plenty of that type? Of course, but I'd be willing to bet that number is a lot lower than people think.

The rhetoric I've heard in the media, and from my teachers growing up, is say something. If you're being bullied, say something. If you're depressed, say something. If you're having anxiety issues, say something. So, many kids do, and they then proceed to get called whiny, lazy, and coddled.....Suck it up pussy. So which do we want? Suck it up....or say something and talk about it. No two kids are the same, so having the option to talk about it can't be a terrible thing IMO.

Last edited:
Not sure where it all went wrong, one could say the laws became insuch that parents could no longer teach "old school" to their children. Or that times have changed and things have advanced so far that a new method needs to be found. I agree whole in full with Devildoc;

It just bugs me that the kids who seem to use/need the "adulting" classes need them because of the circumstances in which they were raised: coddled, unused to failure, helicopter parenting, everyone-gets-a-trophy expectations.

Failure is a part of life, and like anger, it is NOT a bad thing, depending on what the individual does or learns about themselves and others from it. It could be the one thing that defines and starts a solid foundation for life skills,or it could mean the, to quote Devildoc, "coddled" child is crushed by one of many to come defeats. I called the crushed ones, and I could be wrong, just my opinion, a victim of mother hen/father hen. If a college student has never experienced true failure that meant something up to that point, I would dare say they will be ill equipped to deal with it and keep rolling. Maybe a new class in college geared towards teaching how to turn failure into a successful learning tool? I really do not know. It depends on the individual really. Like BuckyBadger24 said:

If no one says anything, nothing will ever be done to help, and if nothing is done to at least try to help, then the problem will Always maintain a foothold.

Not sure where it all went wrong

See, what makes me curious is when was it "right"? What do we call right in this case? Have kids really changed a whole lot, or has the upbringing changed. I think most here tend to go with the latter, as do I. And if so how can we blame the kids?

Because looking at the different generations of kids through the 20th century into the 21st, not one of them grew up in a country, or society for that matter, that was the same as the one the generation before it grew up in. And IMO, the change has gone from gradual, to total in the last few decades. What's around us, and in our hands, seems to be outpacing our ability to evolve with it.

Either it is outpacing, or we, as a whole, are ignoring it, or trying to shift it to the back burner, or trying to downplay it as weakness on the individuals part when in fact it may be the spark of a rock steady strength IF developed properly. Again, ignoring it is only going to make it much, much worse. Better to face the problems and be part of the solution head on than pretend they do not exist and be part of the problem.

High school graduates always had some degree of variability in their chances of making it through their first semester of college. The failures were pure academic, the freedom to go a bit wild away from home, or a combination of both. I expect the variability factors have a pretty wide degree of ability today.

Perhaps some form of pre or post admission testing is in order. This would give undergrad programs a better handle on the quality of students they will be educating. There is always the MMPI route, but I don't see that need for every student. Some students may benefit from a non credit bearing series of classes that would be akin to 13th grade high school course of studies before the start of their college freshman class. I can also see value in a mentorship with successful upperclassmen. This would be the college reaching out to help. The other side of the equation is the student coming to grips with their need to fill in some gaps. Some may not accept their position, and agreeing to accept the findings of the testing.

Last edited:
Back